NFS with Unslung 6.8 and OS X

  • themane007
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      I'm trying to get NFS set up properly on Unslung 6.8 so I can connect
      from my mac (OS X 10.4.10). So far, I have done:

      1) Installed portmapper
      2) Installed nfs-utils
      3) setup the /opt/etc/export file with a single line:

      /data 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash)

      4) restarted the slug for good measure
      5) tried to connect with my mac's "connect to server":

      nfs://192.168.0.99/data

      ...but no luck. The connect process simply hangs. The instructions
      seem pretty straight forward, but I feel like I'm missing a step.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks!
      John
    • themane007
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2007
        Worth noting that this problem was solved by adding the client
        computer to the /etc/hosts file on the slug.

        Should I have to do this? Most posts I saw online using this
        solution didn't seem to know why it had to be done when the NFS
        howtos never list it.

        Thanks!
        John

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "themane007" <themane007@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm trying to get NFS set up properly on Unslung 6.8 so I can
        connect
        > from my mac (OS X 10.4.10). So far, I have done:
        >
        > 1) Installed portmapper
        > 2) Installed nfs-utils
        > 3) setup the /opt/etc/export file with a single line:
        >
        > /data 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
        >
        > 4) restarted the slug for good measure
        > 5) tried to connect with my mac's "connect to server":
        >
        > nfs://192.168.0.99/data
        >
        > ...but no luck. The connect process simply hangs. The instructions
        > seem pretty straight forward, but I feel like I'm missing a step.
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > John

      • John
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2007
          On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 05:38:00PM -0000, themane007 wrote:
          > Worth noting that this problem was solved by adding the client
          > computer to the /etc/hosts file on the slug.
          >
          > Should I have to do this? Most posts I saw online using this
          > solution didn't seem to know why it had to be done when the NFS
          > howtos never list it.

          I don't know what options the Unslung nfsd was compiled with
          but it is a typical linux security measure to look-up a new client's
          IP address and make sure that it matches the new client's claimed
          hostname. The line in etc/hosts would ensure that that look-up
          succeeds.