Ovidiu Sas, could you post some more information or drivers about your zd1211b

  • mr_markas
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2007
      Ovidiu,

      I'm getting back into my NSLU2s. I had to set my pet projects down for
      awhile due to other life priorities. I'm wondering if you could help
      me/us out also having zd1211b based USB WiFi adapters.

      Some back history:

      Over 6 months ago, I was able to setup my development environment for
      SlugOS/BE 3.10 beta. Back then, I was able to fiddle a setting, posted
      my build notes
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-linux/message/18054 and the
      built zd1211b module posted in this groups files section. I was able
      to load it, do some AP Survey, etc. but not having a serial console
      access, all my IP configuration stuff didn't work having to make many
      blind attempts. ( I've also used
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/WirelessNetworkAdapter for
      some assistance )

      Back to the present:

      Coming back, I've set up a fresh development environment but am having
      issues with it so I can build the 4.x alpha. Not wanting to take too
      much time from my family, I'm looking for a pre-built solution or
      assistance as I don't mind stay at 3.10 beta a while longer. I will
      move to 4.x alpha or OpenWRT if necessary, but if I brick my NSLU2,
      I'm pooched - no serial access. (My quick glances also look as though
      the SlugOS/BE has significantly more packages than OpenWRT at the moment.)

      I've looked at the SlugOS/BE and OpenWRT feeds, unpacked they zd1211
      related files ( kmod and driver ). They don't appear to have the
      zd1211b.ko nor a zd1211rw.ko. Maybe I missed something. ( Anybody, is
      the OpenWRT zd1211.ko really the zd1211rw? ) It's also possible my old
      zd1211b.ko is good having been able to do scans and surveys.

      My request for assistance:

      My questions for you Ovidiu, if you can spare the time:

      1. Could you make a tarball of your zd1211b related files and post
      them in the Files section as I did ( so I and other can try them out ?)

      2. Could you post your wireless configuring information/files as an
      example ( obfuscating or replacing sensitive info appropriately? )

      3. Could you post your build experience for the zd1211b driver?

      Anything you can provide would be helpful.

      Like I mentioned before, I'm trying to find the road of less
      resistance to zd1211b success. Using SlugOS/BE 3.10 is fine by me -
      almost preferred. I don't want to risk bricking my Slug with 4.x alpha
      or OpenWRT not having on board or USB serial access for Redboot.

      Thanks in advance, Mr. Markus
    • Ovidiu Sas
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2007
        Hi Mr. Markus

        Building the zd1211b driver is quite straight forward.
        You will need to set ZD1211REV_B=1 in the Makefile and that's it.

        In order to get both drivers, I duplicated the zd1121 directory under
        the name zd1211b. Inside, I fixed the Makefile patch to patch also
        the ZD1211REV_B and then I built both zd1121 and zd1121b.
        Like this, I ended up with two ipks:
        zd1211_r83-r1_ixp4xxbe.ipk
        zd1211b_r83-r1_ixp4xxbe.ipk

        Also I needed to build the wireless-tools ipk:
        wireless-tools_28-pre13-r1_armeb.ipk

        The wireless config is straight forward (just like any linux wireless
        interface).
        If you want, I can post the three ipks under the files section.

        Let me know if you need more info.
        I will try to post the tomorrow the zd1211b source files.

        Regards,
        Ovidiu Sas

      • Ovidiu Sas
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007