USB powered 2.5 inch drive, or increasing power supply?

  • colincliff
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2007
      I am looking to run a usb powered maxtor one touch iii mini drive
      from my unslung NSLU2.

      I have read that the power supply provided with the slug is quite
      weak. Is anyone managing to power one of these drives from their NSLU2?

      If not do you know if its possible to use a more powerful power
      supply without damaging the unit?

      thanks in advance!

    • Tomas Eriksson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2007
        I run my 2.5" WD Passport2 250gb on the NSLU2 okay. The power is enough, but i get very bad share because of the sloooow transfer rate. Maby some bug somewhere...

        But the power is ok.

        :)

        I am looking to run a usb powered maxtor one touch iii mini drive
        from my unslung NSLU2.

        I have read that the power supply provided with the slug is quite
        weak. Is anyone managing to power one of these drives from their NSLU2?

        If not do you know if its possible to use a more powerful power
        supply without damaging the unit?

        thanks in advance!

        Ta semster! - sök efter resor hos Yahoo! Shopping.
        Jämför pris på flygbiljetter och hotellrum: http://shopping.yahoo.se/c-169901-resor-biljetter.html
      • rolandkbs
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
          Sorry, I don't know about the Maxtor drives. But I have two Slugs,
          both with a Slug-powered 2.5" Fujitsu disk (one a 160GB EIDE, the
          other one a 250GB SATA). Never had a problem with them. They run very
          quiet and cool and last but not least the Slugs use only 9 - 12 Watt,
          depending on disk access.

          Roland

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, colincliff <colincliff@...> wrote:

          > I am looking to run a usb powered maxtor one touch iii mini drive
          > from my unslung NSLU2.
          >
          > I have read that the power supply provided with the slug is quite
          > weak. Is anyone managing to power one of these drives from their NSLU2?
          >
          > If not do you know if its possible to use a more powerful power
          > supply without damaging the unit?
          >
          > thanks in advance!
          >
          > --

        • mrkzander
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2007
            I have both my Slugs powering their external disks.

            The SLUG can supply enough power to power just one external USB
            device. I wouldn't attempt to increase the power supply rating
            because it's the usb chip that actually routes the current. I would
            bet it has some upper limit before it fries.

            On another note I realized a few months ago that powering an
            external drive depends more on the USB cable than the actual Slug's
            current capabilities.
            When I moved my Slug to a different room, I picked up a random USB
            cable from my 'pile' to use for the external disk. Previously I was
            able to power the disk via USB. But when I turned everything on with
            the new USB cable the disk didn't start!
            It just did nothing. After a lot of troubleshooting I went back to
            the original cable and the disk started up without problems.
            So some USB cables can supply more current than others.

            Zander.