Q: Access the SQL server via network

  • dhsigma
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2007
      Hi,
      i bought the NSLU a week ago and I need some help.

      So far i manged to install the Unslung 6.8 on a usb sick and the MySQL
      server is also running.

      My problem is, that I could access the SQL only via telnet.

      To solve this problem I edited the my.cnf file and disabled the
      "skip-networking" and used GRANT to give access rights to the
      databases. But I still could not access the server without telnet.

      Do I have to edit other Linux configurations?

      Thanks for your help.

      Ciao, dIRK

      PS: Linux is a complete new thing for me.
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2007
        In message <fdguvr+glvq@...>, dhsigma <dhsigma@...> writes
        >Hi,
        >i bought the NSLU a week ago and I need some help.
        >
        >So far i manged to install the Unslung 6.8 on a usb sick and the MySQL
        >server is also running.
        >
        >My problem is, that I could access the SQL only via telnet.
        >
        >To solve this problem I edited the my.cnf file and disabled the
        >"skip-networking" and used GRANT to give access rights to the
        >databases. But I still could not access the server without telnet.

        My server has been installed and running for some time on my Unslung 5.5
        NLSU2 with the recommended skip networking option for increased security
        for a local server, running as user root. I normally access the server
        using various local php applications and phpmyadmin.

        I have tested out connecting directly from my XP box as follows.

        1. Commented out the 'skip-networking' config option in the server
        my.cnf file and re-booted mysqld so that the server could be accessed
        using an Internet socket rather than a local pipe.

        2. Down loaded and installed the XP MySql ODBC driver from

        <http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/>

        3. Then ran the odbcad32 program on my XP box.

        4. Then clicked the Add button, named the connection Myodbc and
        connected successfully using the standard NSLU2 ip address 192.168.1.77
        and user root.

        Seems very easy. The MySql ODBC driver does display a diagnostics
        button which when clicked will display the returned error if any during
        the connection attempt.
        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2007
          Hi Robert

          I used the M$ driver "Provider for SQL Server" to connect with the NSLU2
          with no luck.

          After I changed to the MySQL ODBC driver I was able to connect to the
          MySQL server and everything worked fine.

          Thanks for your help.

          dIRK

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>