Re: [nslu2-linux] Slug low memory

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2007
      On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 08:28:31AM +0100, Lars Jensen wrote:
      > If 'free' outputs any memory as 'cached', then as far as I know this is
      > also free memory. Apparently linux makes use of free memory for...

      Yes.

      To clarify, as far as the programs are concerned, the total
      system memory is the RAM plus the swap. From a program's point of
      view, the only difference between RAM and swap is speed. It is up
      to the kernel to set priorities for RAM usage among buffers, disk
      cache, and program memory. Low-priority items end up in swap.

      If Unslung runs out of RAM+swap, you may see one of your
      programs terminate with a "killed" message. This means that you
      need to add more swap (and then expect slow execution).

      > (On my Ubuntu laptop, 'free' also displays cached memory, not
      > sure why it doesn't on the slug).

      Even the "standard" programs differ among linux distributions.
      Unslung/Linksys/optware programs are often quirky lighter weight
      versions than those chosen for a desktop distribution. I suspect
      that that is the cause rather than any substantive difference in
      how the Unslung/Linksys kernel uses memory.

      John