Re: [nslu2-linux] Re:Samba-3.0.26a-1 problem

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 25, 2007
      On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 06:22 +0000, Tomas Eriksson wrote:

      > I bought the NSLU2, flashed with Unslung beta 6.8 to 1gb PNY usb flash
      > disk.
      >
      > Connected a WesternDigital Passport2 250gb USB2 disc to port 1 and it
      > is sooooo sloooooow.....

      What kind of filesystem is on that disk?
      Is the disk mounted with the async option?

      > Just directory listings with alot of files takes 30sec.

      There are some problems with big directories.

      The ext3 filesystem doesn't scale well with directories with
      more then a few 1000 files But under circumstances samba makes
      it even worse.

      A small test with 10000 files gives me a directory listing
      time of 23 seconds. This really doesn't surprise me at all.

      > Copy of 1gb file takes forever...

      The file should be copied with a speed around 3 mb/s. So it
      should take about 5 minutes under normal conditions.

      If you use a fat filesystem with the sync option it will
      be a lot slower (probably a factor of 10 or more slower).

      With ntfs i expect a hang of the slug and the copy won't
      Finnish at all.

      --
      marceln
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 25, 2007
        In message <1190754440.4193.36.camel@...>, Marcel Nijenhof
        <nslu2@...> writes
        >On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 06:22 +0000, Tomas Eriksson wrote:
        >>
        >> I bought the NSLU2, flashed with Unslung beta 6.8 to 1gb PNY usb flash
        >> disk.
        >>
        >> Connected a WesternDigital Passport2 250gb USB2 disc to port 1 and it
        >> is sooooo sloooooow.....
        >
        >What kind of filesystem is on that disk?
        >Is the disk mounted with the async option?
        >

        >> Just directory listings with alot of files takes 30sec.
        >
        >There are some problems with big directories.
        >
        >The ext3 filesystem doesn't scale well with directories with
        >more then a few 1000 files But under circumstances samba makes
        >it even worse.
        >
        >A small test with 10000 files gives me a directory listing
        >time of 23 seconds. This really doesn't surprise me at all.
        >
        >> Copy of 1gb file takes forever...
        >
        >The file should be copied with a speed around 3 mb/s. So it
        >should take about 5 minutes under normal conditions.
        >
        >If you use a fat filesystem with the sync option it will
        >be a lot slower (probably a factor of 10 or more slower).
        >
        >With ntfs i expect a hang of the slug and the copy won't
        >Finnish at all.

        Some time back I discovered some web pages somewhere on the Internet
        that where to do with optimising the speed of Samba 3 using the various
        socket options. So I tried the various speed tests against config the
        socket options with various sized files, both read and write and came to
        the conclusion that with the NSLU2 all of the various socket options
        gave the same transfer speed. This infers that the data transfer speed
        is dictated by whatever limits the disk read/write speed rather than the
        transport socket. Because of this I have my Samba socket set with quite
        a small send and receive buffer (there is no need for large buffer
        settings because they have no beneficial effect, small buffers saves a
        little ram memory for other tasks) as follows :-

        socket options = SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

        Also the TCP_NODELAY config option seemed to have no effect on speed so
        is best not used. And there is no real need for the SO_KEEPALIVE
        config option.

        I have now copied my optimised smb.conf file to the relevant Wiki page.

        Robert
        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 25, 2007
          The filesystem is NTFS and the drive is a WesternDigital Passport2 2.5" USB2 250gb.
          I don't know about the async option, where do i set/unset it?

          I will also try to modify the smb.conf as Robert suggested.

          thanx.
          :)

          /tomas

          On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 06:22 +0000, Tomas Eriksson wrote:

          > I bought the NSLU2, flashed with Unslung beta 6.8 to 1gb PNY usb flash
          > disk.
          >
          > Connected a WesternDigital Passport2 250gb USB2 disc to port 1 and it
          > is sooooo sloooooow... ..

          What kind of filesystem is on that disk?
          Is the disk mounted with the async option?

          > Just directory listings with alot of files takes 30sec.

          There are some problems with big directories.

          The ext3 filesystem doesn't scale well with directories with
          more then a few 1000 files But under circumstances samba makes
          it even worse.

          A small test with 10000 files gives me a directory listing
          time of 23 seconds. This really doesn't surprise me at all.

          > Copy of 1gb file takes forever...

          The file should be copied with a speed around 3 mb/s. So it
          should take about 5 minutes under normal conditions.

          If you use a fat filesystem with the sync option it will
          be a lot slower (probably a factor of 10 or more slower).

          With ntfs i expect a hang of the slug and the copy won't
          Finnish at all.

          --
          marceln

          Låna pengar utan säkerhet.
          Sök och jämför hos Yahoo! Shopping.
        • Dave Hrynkiw
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007
            1. Make sure your Samba is looking at the correct ether port by checking that the following line exists in the Global section of the smb.conf file.
            For Debain I think should be

            interfaces = eth0, lo

            Hmmm. That was missing... I assume you meant eth_0_ (zero), not eth_o_ (oh)

            2. Make sure your smb.conf file has the following line in the Global section
            name resolve order = wins bcast
            Ditto - missing.

            3. Check the hosts line in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file, the hosts line should check files first (i.e will check the /etc/hosts file for the
            netbios name first), example
            hosts: files dns
            Yup, just like this.

            4. Check that your NSLU2 netbios name actually exists in your /etc/hosts file, example file content (with netbios name NSLU2-1 and standard IP address)

            127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdoma in
            192.168.1.77 NSLU2-1 192.168.1.77
            Confirmed, although not like your example, it matches the layout the man page suggests:

            127.0.0.1       localhost
            192.168.1.2     slug.example.org        slug

            ....and drumroll please... (/etc/init.d/samba restart).....
            ...opening windows explorer to //slug....
            BOOM...gah! Same error:

            \\slug is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the (blah blah blah)
            THE ARRAY BOUNDS ARE INVALID

            Darn bounds. Hate them.

            Lessee what a "smbclient -L \\slug -U%" sez. Oy! What's up with the shares? They work with their proper name directly typed in! Even "testparm" reported out good!

            slug:/var/log/backup# smbclient -L \\slug  -U%
            Domain=[SB] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26]

                    Sharename       Type      Comment
                    ---------       ----      -------
                    tttt            Disk      TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
                    bbbbbbbbbbbb    Disk      BBBBBBBBBBBB
                    SSSSSSSSSSS     Disk      SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
                    1111111111111   Disk      VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
                    IIIII           IPC       IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
            Domain=[SB] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26]

                    Server               Comment
                    ---------            -------
                    SB15
                    SB9                  Dell laptop

                   Workgroup            Master
                    ---------            -------
                    SB                        SLUG
            slug:/var/log/backup#

            What the heck is going on here? ...sigh... I've got to go to bed and worry about this another day...

            I won't bother dumping my whole smb.conf & testparm outputs here right now. That's too much to throw at the whole group, no?

            Oh well, thanks for the suggestions - had no idea about the nsswitch file.

            Regards,
            Dave

          • Robert Hammond
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007
              In message <46FA10F2.2000101@...>, Dave Hrynkiw
              <dave@...> writes
              > 1. Make sure your Samba is looking at the correct ether port by checking
              > that the following line exists in the Global section of the smb.conf file.
              > For Debain I think should be
              >
              > interfaces = eth0, lo
              >
              >Hmmm. That was missing... I assume you meant eth_0_ (zero), not eth_o_
              >(oh)
              >
              > 2. Make sure your smb.conf file has the following line in the Global section
              > name resolve order = wins bcast
              >Ditto - missing.
              >

              > 3. Check the hosts line in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file, the hosts line should
              > check files first (i.e will check the /etc/hosts file for the
              > netbios name first), example
              > hosts: files dns
              >Yup, just like this.
              >
              > 4. Check that your NSLU2 netbios name actually exists in your /etc/hosts
              > file, example file content (with netbios name NSLU2-1 and standard IP
              > address)
              >
              > 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
              > 192.168.1.77 NSLU2-1 192.168.1.77
              >Confirmed, although not like your example, it matches the layout the man page
              >suggests:
              >
              >127.0.0.1       localhost
              >192.168.1.2     slug.example.org        slug

              Interesting because I copied directly from my Unslung system so Unslung
              seems to use a slightly non standard file format. I think that both
              should work just fine so long as the alias is located on the same line.

              Something you might want to look at are the Samba log files most likely
              located in /var folder tree. There can be quite a number of different
              log files dependant on configuration, log.smdb, log.nmdb etc. Perhaps
              one of them holds the key to why the connection attempts are being
              refused, assuming the connection attempts are getting as far as Samba.
              --
              Robert Hammond
              PGP:0x154144DA
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 26, 2007
                On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 06:24 +0000, Tomas Eriksson wrote:
                > The filesystem is NTFS and the drive is a WesternDigital Passport2
                > 2.5" USB2 250gb.

                Ntfs gives more problems than solutions on the slug.
                I have done some write tests to ntfs and nver failed to get a
                hang on the slug.

                > I don't know about the async option, where do i set/unset it?

                The disk is automaticaly mounted on the slug by the linksys
                software. You can see (and change) the settings with the
                mount command.

                > will also try to modify the smb.conf as Robert suggested.

                Your problem is ntfs and the solution is not to use it on the
                slug.

                --
                marceln
              • Dave Hrynkiw
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 27, 2007
                  > 4. Check that your NSLU2 netbios name actually exists in your /etc/hosts
                  > file, example file content (with netbios name NSLU2-1 and standard IP
                  > address)
                  >
                  > 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdoma
                  in
                  > 192.168.1.77 NSLU2-1 192.168.1.77
                  >Confirmed, although not like your example, it matches the layout the man page
                  >suggests:
                  >
                  >127.0.0.1       localhost
                  >192.168.1.2     slug.example. org        slug

                  Interesting because I copied directly from my Unslung system so Unslung
                  seems to use a slightly non standard file format. I think that both
                  should work just fine so long as the alias is located on the same line.

                  Ah, well, I'm using DebianSlug on this install. The log files haven't offered any hints either, but it's really not that great of an inconvenience - I just have to know what the share name is to connect to it.

                  Regards,
                  Dave
                • Shawn Stricker
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 15, 2007
                    Dave, the smbclient returning 'string length'+1 of the first character
                    of the share name issue has been seen by both samba and debian
                    developers. If you look aty samba bug 5000 and debian bug 445566 this
                    is a known issue with 3.0.26a and we are working on it. Currently it
                    is being diagnosed as a compiler issue, when I have more information
                    I'll post it
                  • Dave Hrynkiw
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 16, 2007
                      > Dave, the smbclient returning 'string length'+1 of the first character
                      > of the share name issue has been seen by both samba and debian
                      > developers. If you look aty samba bug 5000 and debian bug 445566 this
                      > is a known issue with 3.0.26a and we are working on it.

                      Yes, I just tripped over that bug report myself last weekend, and am
                      subscribed to the bug list!

                      I'm surprised there aren't more DebianSlug users noticing this...
                    • Kevin Price
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 17, 2007
                        Hi!

                        Dave Hrynkiw schrieb:
                        > I'm surprised there aren't more DebianSlug users noticing this...

                        There are. I noticed it but never had time to debug / report this, which
                        I usually would. I'm glad this is already being taken care of.

                        cheers

                        Kevin