nslu2 linux in my landisk - some questions

  • Moises Belda
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2007
      Hi
      I'm newbie in this group.
      Recently I buy a Connection N&C LANDisk
      http://www.connectionnc.com/n&c/in_productos.php?rowid=262&seccion=19

      I think that probably his this uses NEC or  PL3507. That has 1 usb and 1 rj45. The firmware that uses, is something called NAS-BASIC45, LOADER 69. I have not more info because Connection has a poor SAT and the info that I have is only that URL and a pdf manual for basic usage.

      My questions
      1.- can  I use any SLUG linux distro with that device?
      2.- Can I update the firm with one of this distros like normal firms with the web interface (there is a section to update the firm).
      3.-what is the distro that you recomend me. I was thinking about DEBIAN because I know ubuntu usage (ubuntu is  a debian-based distro) but I don't Know the difficult to use this, or if another will be more easy for me.
      4.- One of the most important features that I want, it's to configure freely samba server shared folders (or ftp server shared folders)  , because the original firm don't let me share the root folder. I assume that there is a security problem sharing root folder, but I need this, because I use this device in combo with a PVR Satelite, that makes the recordings ONLY in the root folder, and I want to make acces to them.
      5.- I lost any feature if I use linux firm? This Landisk is used with a FAT32 partition that PVR detects with USB 2.0 connection. This means that the LANDISK have to be a FAT32 usb compatible storage.

      Thanks in advance