Re: [nslu2-linux] Want to split a file and join back

  • Ben O'Hara
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2007
      Or just use "join"

      Ben

      On 9/5/07, Dick Connell <dick@...> wrote:

      On 9/5/07, Dayananda YS < dayas2003@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      I want to split a big file [100 MB] into multiple files so that I can send it by mail and join the same by the other end to use it back.

      The file is a data file with the extension of *.trn
      I have done split -b 1000000 org_file.trn
      This gave me some files with names xaa to xag [say]
      then I used cat xa[a-g] > new_name.trn _,

      Are you sure cat xa[a-g] gets the files in alphabetical order  - have you tried

      cat xaa > new_name.trn
      cat xab >> new_name.trn

      or cat `ls x??` > new_name.trn

      then use cmp to see if there is a difference.

      Otherwise try using dd within a script.

      Dick

      _._,___

      --
      "A Scientist will earn a living by taking a really difficult problem and spends many years solving it, an engineer earns a living by finding really difficult problems and side stepping them"