Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Clearing the configuration area of the Slug's memory

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4 10:16 AM
      In message <fbjhe9+1noh@...>, dystopianrebel
      <dystopianrebel@...> writes
      >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Endecott"
      ><spam_from_nslu2_linux@...> wrote:
      >> You can access the raw flash via the /dev/mtd* files.
      >> Care is needed to avoid shooting yourself in the foot.
      >> Why do you want to clear this area?
      >
      >I was afraid that I had already shot myself in the foot. :o)
      >
      >I encountered a hardware incompatibility problem with the CompactFlash
      >reader. (See my post about the GE reader.) The short of it is that the
      >GE reader would not work as the boot drive (/dev/sda1) and I kept
      >filling up the flash memory of the Slug with ipkg. I thought I may
      >have done some harm.

      This should be impossible with Unslung6 because the ipkg command sym
      link is deliberately missing from the flash firmware making the ipkg
      command impossible to run.
      The sym link /usr/bin/ipkg is created during unslinging, and is only
      created on the disk copy of the directory tree.

      >A related question: if one runs ipkg a few times and fills the Slug's
      >flash memory, where do the ipkg files reside? In /dev/mtd* as well?

      They reside in /usr/lib/ipkg/lists
      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA