USB HUB

  • jamesnahon
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2007
      hi there,

      i am running a slug with the latest version of Unslung. at the moment i
      am using it to stream music using mydaapd.

      what i want to do is to attach a second USB hard drive using a HUB.

      which USB2.0 HUBs are known to work or do they all work?

      thanks a lot

      James
    • markuswells
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
        I asked the same question when I started out. I am not sure if all
        hubs will work but I found that the belkin 4-port works fine (
        http://www.usb-2-0.com/f5u234.html ).
        I think as long as it has a separate power supply you should do fine.

        Markus

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jamesnahon" <james@...> wrote:

        > hi there,
        >
        > i am running a slug with the latest version of Unslung. at the moment i
        > am using it to stream music using mydaapd.
        >
        > what i want to do is to attach a second USB hard drive using a HUB.
        >
        > which USB2.0 HUBs are known to work or do they all work?
        >
        > thanks a lot
        >
        > James

      • James Nahon
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007

          Thank will try it out.  Do you simply connect additional disks and are they mounted automatically?

          james

          I asked the same question when I started out. I am not sure if all
          hubs will work but I found that the belkin 4-port works fine (
          http://www.usb-2-0.com/f5u234.html ).
          I think as long as it has a separate power supply you should do fine.

          Markus

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jamesnahon" <james@...> wrote:

          > hi there,
          >
          > i am running a slug with the latest version of Unslung. at the moment i
          > am using it to stream music using mydaapd.
          >
          > what i want to do is to attach a second USB hard drive using a HUB.
          >
          > which USB2.0 HUBs are known to work or do they all work?
          >
          > thanks a lot
          >
          > James

        • markuswells
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007
            It is important that you read up on the wiki about what port is best
            for the OS to sit on and what port is best for your hub.
            I determined that, for me, it was best to have the hub on port 1 and
            the OS on a drive in port 2. That meant that anything on the hub would
            be addressed as follows, I have 2 drives on the hub:
            HDD_1_1_1 and HDD_1_2_1
            There is something about the naming convention used by your slug
            written on the wiki. I DO recommend reading the part about what is the
            best port for you unslug - if you have not already set up your the way
            describe you might be better off starting over. Its really not that
            much work and its much better than fixing the existing OS but that can
            be done also (I do not know how).

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/USBHubs

            Hope that helps
            Markus

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "James Nahon" <james@...> wrote:

            > Thank will try it out. Do you simply connect additional disks and
            are they
            > mounted automatically?
            >

            > james

            <mailto:nslu2-linux%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            > "jamesnahon" <james@> wrote:
            > >
            > > hi there,
            > >
            > > i am running a slug with the latest version of Unslung. at the
            moment i
            > > am using it to stream music using mydaapd.
            > >
            > > what i want to do is to attach a second USB hard drive using a HUB.
            > >
            > > which USB2.0 HUBs are known to work or do they all work?
            > >
            > > thanks a lot
            > >
            > > James

          • James Nahon
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2007

              Great, at the moment I have unslung unslung to a flash disk in USB2 and a 60GB disk with music on it in USB1 that is being steamed by firefly.

              When I connect the HUB to USB1 and reconnect the music drive, will I have to change the firefly settings to look in a different directory for the music?

              James

              It is important that you read up on the wiki about what port is best
              for the OS to sit on and what port is best for your hub.
              I determined that, for me, it was best to have the hub on port 1 and
              the OS on a drive in port 2. That meant that anything on the hub would
              be addressed as follows, I have 2 drives on the hub:
              HDD_1_1_1 and HDD_1_2_1
              There is something about the naming convention used by your slug
              written on the wiki. I DO recommend reading the part about what is the
              best port for you unslug - if you have not already set up your the way
              describe you might be better off starting over. Its really not that
              much work and its much better than fixing the existing OS but that can
              be done also (I do not know how).

              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/USBHubs

              Hope that helps
              Markus

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "James Nahon" <james@...> wrote:

              > Thank will try it out. Do you simply connect additional disks and
              are they
              > mounted automatically?
              >

              > james

              ).