Re: who can update optware package wpa-supplicant?

  • jjftoman
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1 3:27 PM
      It still looks like it is the 0.3.8 version. Although installing
      comments say it is 0.5.8-1. See my actions below. Or am I doing
      something wrong?

      Hans

      Login successful. Beware, you are root now!
      / # ipkg update
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/Packages.gz
      Inflating
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/Packages.gz
      Updated list of available packages in /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/cross
      Successfully terminated.
      / # ipkg install wpa-supplicant
      Installing wpa-supplicant (0.5.8-1) to root...
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/wpa-supplicant_0.5.8-1_armeb.ipk
      Configuring wpa-supplicant

      To complete the installation, you must edit /opt/etc/wpa-supplicant.conf.

      Successfully terminated.
      / # cd opt/sbin/
      /opt/sbin # wpa_supplicant -v
      wpa_supplicant v0.3.8
      Copyright (c) 2003-2005, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline@...> and
      contributors
      /opt/sbin #

      > jjftoman wrote:
      > > The optware package wpa-supplicant is based on some old source from
      > > http://hostap.epitest.fi There is much newer source available at this
      > > side. Who can update this package with the newest stable sourcecode?
      > > In there is support for the madwifi driver that is delivered with the
      > > FSG. I think you can make a lot of people happy with a new
      > > wpa-supplicant package.
      >
      > wpa-supplicant 0.5.8 should hit the feeds on the next autobuild run.
      >
      > We expect you to report with your testing results.
      >
      > -- Rod

    • Brian Zhou
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1 8:30 PM
        Can you try

        $ /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant -v
        $ which wpa_supplicant

        instead? Even when you're in /opt/sbin, it might invoke wpa_supplicant
        from somewhere else in the PATH, unless you have . at the forefront
        of your PATH, which is not recommended on Unix anyway.

        The version from the feed seems correct to me on nslu2.

        -Brian Zhou

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jjftoman" <jjftoman@...> wrote:

        > It still looks like it is the 0.3.8 version. Although installing
        > comments say it is 0.5.8-1. See my actions below. Or am I doing
        > something wrong?
        >
        > Hans
        >
        > Login successful. Beware, you are root now!
        > / # ipkg update
        > Downloading

        http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/Packages.gz
        > Inflating

        http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/Packages.gz
        > Updated list of available packages in /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/cross
        > Successfully terminated.
        > / # ipkg install wpa-supplicant
        > Installing wpa-supplicant (0.5.8-1) to root...
        > Downloading

        http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/wpa-supplicant_0.5.8-1_armeb.ipk
        > Configuring wpa-supplicant
        >

        > To complete the installation, you must edit
        /opt/etc/wpa-supplicant.conf.

        > Successfully terminated.
        > / # cd opt/sbin/
        > /opt/sbin # wpa_supplicant -v
        > wpa_supplicant v0.3.8
        > Copyright (c) 2003-2005, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline@...> and
        > contributors
        > /opt/sbin #
        >

        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@> wrote:
        > >
        > > jjftoman wrote:
        > > > The optware package wpa-supplicant is based on some old source from
        > > > http://hostap.epitest.fi There is much newer source available at
        this
        > > > side. Who can update this package with the newest stable sourcecode?
        > > > In there is support for the madwifi driver that is delivered
        with the
        > > > FSG. I think you can make a lot of people happy with a new
        > > > wpa-supplicant package.
        > >
        > > wpa-supplicant 0.5.8 should hit the feeds on the next autobuild run.
        > >
        > > We expect you to report with your testing results.
        > >
        > > -- Rod

      • jjftoman
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2 2:22 PM
          $ /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant -v

          results in:
          / # /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant -v
          wpa_supplicant v0.3.8
          Copyright (c) 2003-2005, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline@...> and
          contributors

          $ which wpa_supplicant
          results in:
          / # which wpa_supplicant
          /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant

          I work on a fsg not on a nslu2. The builds are not the same I guess.
          When I remove wpa_supplicant I get the following results:

          / # ipkg remove wpa_supplicant
          No packages removed.
          Nothing to be done
          Successfully terminated.
          / # ipkg remove wpa-supplicant
          Removing package wpa-supplicant from root...
          killall: wpa-supplicant: no process killed
          prerm script returned status 1
          Successfully terminated.

          It seems there is something wrong with - "minus" and/or _
          "underscore". But where does it come from. I still don't get it. Is
          there something wrong in the fsg build?

          Hans

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

          > Can you try
          >
          > $ /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant -v
          > $ which wpa_supplicant
          >
          > instead? Even when you're in /opt/sbin, it might invoke wpa_supplicant
          > from somewhere else in the PATH, unless you have . at the forefront
          > of your PATH, which is not recommended on Unix anyway.
          >
          > The version from the feed seems correct to me on nslu2.
          >
          > -Brian Zhou
          >
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jjftoman" <jjftoman@> wrote:
          > >
          > > It still looks like it is the 0.3.8 version. Although installing
          > > comments say it is 0.5.8-1. See my actions below. Or am I doing
          > > something wrong?
          > >
          > > Hans
          > >
          > > Login successful. Beware, you are root now!
          > > / # ipkg update
          > > Downloading

          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/Packages.gz
          > > Inflating

          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/Packages.gz
          > > Updated list of available packages in /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/cross
          > > Successfully terminated.
          > > / # ipkg install wpa-supplicant
          > > Installing wpa-supplicant (0.5.8-1) to root...
          > > Downloading

          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/wpa-supplicant_0.5.8-1_armeb.ipk
          > > Configuring wpa-supplicant
          > >

          > > To complete the installation, you must edit
          > /opt/etc/wpa-supplicant.conf.
          > >
          > > Successfully terminated.
          > > / # cd opt/sbin/
          > > /opt/sbin # wpa_supplicant -v
          > > wpa_supplicant v0.3.8
          > > Copyright (c) 2003-2005, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline@> and
          > > contributors
          > > /opt/sbin #
          > >

          > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@> wrote:

          > this
          > with the
          > > >
          > > > wpa-supplicant 0.5.8 should hit the feeds on the next autobuild run.
          > > >
          > > > We expect you to report with your testing results.
          > > >
          > > > -- Rod

        • Brian Zhou
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2 3:31 PM
            You are correct. I just checked on the official build machine with the
            "strings" command against the binaries. Looks like fsg3v4 and
            openwrt-brcm24 are two platforms with version problem.

            I bumped IPK_VERSION of wpa-supplicant package, please wait a couple
            of hours and hopefully the correct wpa-supplicant_0.5.8-2 ipk will be
            in the feeds.

            Thank you,

          • jjftoman
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3 12:25 PM
              Thanks

              I get the right version now

              /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant -v
              wpa_supplicant v0.5.8
              Copyright (c) 2003-2007, Jouni Malinen <j@...> and contributors

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

              > You are correct. I just checked on the official build machine with the
              > "strings" command against the binaries. Looks like fsg3v4 and
              > openwrt-brcm24 are two platforms with version problem.
              >
              > I bumped IPK_VERSION of wpa-supplicant package, please wait a couple
              > of hours and hopefully the correct wpa-supplicant_0.5.8-2 ipk will be
              > in the feeds.
              >
              > Thank you,
              >
              > -Brian Zhou
              >
              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jjftoman" <jjftoman@> wrote:
              > >
              > > $ /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant -v
              > >
              > > results in:
              > > / # /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant -v
              > > wpa_supplicant v0.3.8
              > > Copyright (c) 2003-2005, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline@> and
              > > contributors
              > >
              > > $ which wpa_supplicant
              > > results in:
              > > / # which wpa_supplicant
              > > /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant
              > >
              > > I work on a fsg not on a nslu2. The builds are not the same I guess.
              > > When I remove wpa_supplicant I get the following results:
              > >
              > > / # ipkg remove wpa_supplicant
              > > No packages removed.
              > > Nothing to be done
              > > Successfully terminated.
              > > / # ipkg remove wpa-supplicant
              > > Removing package wpa-supplicant from root...
              > > killall: wpa-supplicant: no process killed
              > > prerm script returned status 1
              > > Successfully terminated.
              > >
              > > It seems there is something wrong with - "minus" and/or _
              > > "underscore". But where does it come from. I still don't get it. Is
              > > there something wrong in the fsg build?
              > >
              > > Hans
              > >

              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Can you try
              > > >
              > > > $ /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant -v
              > > > $ which wpa_supplicant
              > > >
              > > > instead? Even when you're in /opt/sbin, it might invoke
              wpa_supplicant
              > > > from somewhere else in the PATH, unless you have . at the forefront
              > > > of your PATH, which is not recommended on Unix anyway.
              > > >
              > > > The version from the feed seems correct to me on nslu2.
              > > >
              > > > -Brian Zhou

              http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/Packages.gz

              http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/Packages.gz

              http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/wpa-supplicant_0.5.8-1_armeb.ipk

              > > > /opt/etc/wpa-supplicant.conf.

              > > from
              > > > this
              > > sourcecode?
              > > > with the

              > autobuild run.

            • jjftoman
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5 2:41 PM
                I'm missing the madwifi driver in the build.

                The command: wpa_supplicant -d -Dmadwifi -i mwl0 -c
                /opt/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
                results in:
                Initializing interface 'mwl0' conf '/opt/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
                driver 'madwifi' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
                Unsupported driver 'madwifi'.
                Failed to add interface mwl0
                Cancelling scan request
                Cancelling authentication timeout

                Who can help me to update the build with a new .config file? So the
                madwifi driver will be included.

                Options can be added to .config to select which driver
                interfaces are included. Following example includes all features and
                driver interfaces that are included in the wpa_supplicant package:
                CONFIG_DRIVER_HOSTAP=y
                CONFIG_DRIVER_HERMES=y
                CONFIG_DRIVER_MADWIFI=y
                CONFIG_DRIVER_ATMEL=y
                CONFIG_DRIVER_WEXT=y
                CONFIG_DRIVER_NDISWRAPPER=y
                CONFIG_DRIVER_BROADCOM=y
                CONFIG_DRIVER_IPW=y
                CONFIG_DRIVER_BSD=y
                CONFIG_DRIVER_NDIS=y
                CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXTENSION=y
                CONFIG_IEEE8021X_EAPOL=y
                CONFIG_EAP_MD5=y
                CONFIG_EAP_MSCHAPV2=y
                CONFIG_EAP_TLS=y
                CONFIG_EAP_PEAP=y
                CONFIG_EAP_TTLS=y
                CONFIG_EAP_GTC=y
                CONFIG_EAP_OTP=y
                CONFIG_EAP_SIM=y
                CONFIG_EAP_AKA=y
                CONFIG_EAP_PSK=y
                CONFIG_EAP_SAKE=y
                CONFIG_EAP_GPSK=y
                CONFIG_EAP_PAX=y
                CONFIG_EAP_LEAP=y
                CONFIG_PCSC=y

                See also
                http://hostap.epitest.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=blob_plain;f=wpa_supplicant/README
                for more information.

                Hans

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jjftoman" <jjftoman@...> wrote:

                > Thanks
                >
                > I get the right version now
                >
                > /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant -v
                > wpa_supplicant v0.5.8
                > Copyright (c) 2003-2007, Jouni Malinen <j@...> and contributors
                >

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@> wrote:
                > >
                > > You are correct. I just checked on the official build machine with the
                > > "strings" command against the binaries. Looks like fsg3v4 and
                > > openwrt-brcm24 are two platforms with version problem.
                > >
                > > I bumped IPK_VERSION of wpa-supplicant package, please wait a couple
                > > of hours and hopefully the correct wpa-supplicant_0.5.8-2 ipk will be
                > > in the feeds.
                > >
                > > Thank you,
                > >
                > > -Brian Zhou
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "jjftoman" <jjftoman@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > $ /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant -v
                > > >
                > > > results in:
                > > > / # /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant -v
                > > > wpa_supplicant v0.3.8
                > > > Copyright (c) 2003-2005, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline@> and
                > > > contributors
                > > >
                > > > $ which wpa_supplicant
                > > > results in:
                > > > / # which wpa_supplicant
                > > > /opt/sbin/wpa_supplicant
                > > >
                > > > I work on a fsg not on a nslu2. The builds are not the same I guess.
                > > > When I remove wpa_supplicant I get the following results:
                > > >
                > > > / # ipkg remove wpa_supplicant
                > > > No packages removed.
                > > > Nothing to be done
                > > > Successfully terminated.
                > > > / # ipkg remove wpa-supplicant
                > > > Removing package wpa-supplicant from root...
                > > > killall: wpa-supplicant: no process killed
                > > > prerm script returned status 1
                > > > Successfully terminated.
                > > >
                > > > It seems there is something wrong with - "minus" and/or _
                > > > "underscore". But where does it come from. I still don't get it. Is
                > > > there something wrong in the fsg build?
                > > >
                > > > Hans

                > wpa_supplicant

                http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/Packages.gz

                http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/Packages.gz

                http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/fsg3v4/cross/stable/wpa-supplicant_0.5.8-1_armeb.ipk

                > > > from
                > available at
                > > > sourcecode?

                > > autobuild run.

              • Brian Zhou
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 6 11:50 AM
                  The best way to have your request fulfilled is to become a developer
                  and add them yourself, since you're motivated and have the test
                  environment. Go to #linux-nslu2 and some of us can help when you have
                  problem.