Clearing the configuration area of the Slug's memory

  • dystopianrebel
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
      Is is necessary to telnet in to Redboot mode to clear the
      configuration area?

      ( fis erase -f 0x50040000 -l 0x20000 )

      Is there another way to do it? I dug up a message using G**gle that
      suggested that telnet isn't really necessary.
    • Phil Endecott
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2007
        > Is is necessary to telnet in to Redboot mode to clear the
        > configuration area?
        >
        > ( fis erase -f 0x50040000 -l 0x20000 )
        >
        > Is there another way to do it? I dug up a message using G**gle that
        > suggested that telnet isn't really necessary.

        You can access the raw flash via the /dev/mtd* files.

        Care is needed to avoid shooting yourself in the foot.

        Why do you want to clear this area?

        Phil.
      • dystopianrebel
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Endecott"
          <spam_from_nslu2_linux@...> wrote:
          > You can access the raw flash via the /dev/mtd* files.
          > Care is needed to avoid shooting yourself in the foot.
          > Why do you want to clear this area?

          I was afraid that I had already shot myself in the foot. :o)

          I encountered a hardware incompatibility problem with the CompactFlash
          reader. (See my post about the GE reader.) The short of it is that the
          GE reader would not work as the boot drive (/dev/sda1) and I kept
          filling up the flash memory of the Slug with ipkg. I thought I may
          have done some harm.

          A related question: if one runs ipkg a few times and fills the Slug's
          flash memory, where do the ipkg files reside? In /dev/mtd* as well?
        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007
            In message <fbjhe9+1noh@...>, dystopianrebel
            <dystopianrebel@...> writes
            >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Endecott"
            ><spam_from_nslu2_linux@...> wrote:
            >> You can access the raw flash via the /dev/mtd* files.
            >> Care is needed to avoid shooting yourself in the foot.
            >> Why do you want to clear this area?
            >
            >I was afraid that I had already shot myself in the foot. :o)
            >
            >I encountered a hardware incompatibility problem with the CompactFlash
            >reader. (See my post about the GE reader.) The short of it is that the
            >GE reader would not work as the boot drive (/dev/sda1) and I kept
            >filling up the flash memory of the Slug with ipkg. I thought I may
            >have done some harm.

            This should be impossible with Unslung6 because the ipkg command sym
            link is deliberately missing from the flash firmware making the ipkg
            command impossible to run.
            The sym link /usr/bin/ipkg is created during unslinging, and is only
            created on the disk copy of the directory tree.

            >A related question: if one runs ipkg a few times and fills the Slug's
            >flash memory, where do the ipkg files reside? In /dev/mtd* as well?

            They reside in /usr/lib/ipkg/lists
            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA