Re: NSLU2 Upgrade Mode
> I want to upgrade from a smaller USB flash drive 2G to a USB flash driveYou don't need to re-install from scratch just to replace the disk:
> that is 4G.
1. Boot with the old disk.
2. Insert the new disk.
3. Partition the new disk (e.g. parted or fdisk).
4. Create a filesystem on the new disk (e.g. mke3fs, ?parted?).
5. Copy the contents of the old disk to the new disk (e.g. cp or
tar|tar or rsync).
- take care to preserve ownership and permissions, and not to cross
filesystems into e.g. /tmp or /proc, and to do the right thing with
device files (/dev) and symlinks.
4. Copy the raw old filesystem to the raw new filesystem (e.g. dd).
5. Mount the new disk.
6. Resize the filesystem on the new disk to occupy the extra space
7. Power off.
8. Remove the old disk.
9. Cross fingers. Power on. Will boot from new disk.
Alternatively, plug both disks into a Linux PC and do steps 3 to 6 there.
Do ask if you need more details.
- --- In email@example.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
> greggm233 wrote:
> > If I can't put my NSLU2 into upgrade mode via the reset button
> We have never found an NSLU2 that can't be put into upgrade mode
> the reset button. There is no other supported way of installingbut
> firmware (there are other ways, and you can find them on the wiki,
> we no longer support anything other than reset button upgrademode).
> Please detail the exact steps you are following, so we can work
> is going wrong.Here are the steps I took and what I saw when I try to put my NSLU2
> -- Rod
into upgrade mode.
1. While holding the reset button, I pressed NSLU2 power on button
(All USB flash drives are removed and ethernet cable is plugged in)
2. The ready/status, disk 1 and disk 2 lights began to flash green
for about 10 secs
3. The ready/status light changed from a flashing green to a solid
amber color and the disk 1 and disk 2 lights changed from a flashing
green to solid green and remained in this state for about 14 seconds
4. For about one second, the ready/status light then changed from a
solid amber to red while the disk 1 and disk 2 lights remained solid
green. After that... all lights went off, including the power light