Re: NSLU2 Upgrade Mode

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      > I want to upgrade from a smaller USB flash drive 2G to a USB flash drive
      > that is 4G.

      You don't need to re-install from scratch just to replace the disk:

      1. Boot with the old disk.
      2. Insert the new disk.
      3. Partition the new disk (e.g. parted or fdisk).

      Now EITHER:

      4. Create a filesystem on the new disk (e.g. mke3fs, ?parted?).
      5. Copy the contents of the old disk to the new disk (e.g. cp or
      tar|tar or rsync).
      - take care to preserve ownership and permissions, and not to cross
      filesystems into e.g. /tmp or /proc, and to do the right thing with
      device files (/dev) and symlinks.

      OR:

      4. Copy the raw old filesystem to the raw new filesystem (e.g. dd).
      5. Mount the new disk.
      6. Resize the filesystem on the new disk to occupy the extra space
      (resize2fs, ?parted?).

      7. Power off.
      8. Remove the old disk.
      9. Cross fingers. Power on. Will boot from new disk.

      Alternatively, plug both disks into a Linux PC and do steps 3 to 6 there.

      Do ask if you need more details.

      Phil.
    • greggm233
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007

        > greggm233 wrote:
        > > If I can't put my NSLU2 into upgrade mode via the reset button
        >
        > We have never found an NSLU2 that can't be put into upgrade mode
        using
        > the reset button. There is no other supported way of installing
        > firmware (there are other ways, and you can find them on the wiki,
        but
        > we no longer support anything other than reset button upgrade
        mode).

        > Please detail the exact steps you are following, so we can work
        out what
        > is going wrong.
        >
        > -- Rod

        Here are the steps I took and what I saw when I try to put my NSLU2
        into upgrade mode.
        1. While holding the reset button, I pressed NSLU2 power on button
        (All USB flash drives are removed and ethernet cable is plugged in)
        2. The ready/status, disk 1 and disk 2 lights began to flash green
        for about 10 secs
        3. The ready/status light changed from a flashing green to a solid
        amber color and the disk 1 and disk 2 lights changed from a flashing
        green to solid green and remained in this state for about 14 seconds
        4. For about one second, the ready/status light then changed from a
        solid amber to red while the disk 1 and disk 2 lights remained solid
        green. After that... all lights went off, including the power light
        button