NSLU2 Upgrade Mode

  • greggm233
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      If I can't put my NSLU2 into upgrade mode via the reset button, is
      there any other way to re-partition a new flash and reinstall debian
      via the login prompt from my NSLU2 that is already running debian? I
      want to upgrade from a smaller USB flash drive 2G to a USB flash drive
      that is 4G.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
        greggm233 wrote:
        > If I can't put my NSLU2 into upgrade mode via the reset button

        We have never found an NSLU2 that can't be put into upgrade mode using
        the reset button. There is no other supported way of installing
        firmware (there are other ways, and you can find them on the wiki, but
        we no longer support anything other than reset button upgrade mode).

        Please detail the exact steps you are following, so we can work out what
        is going wrong.

        -- Rod
      • Phil Endecott
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
          > I want to upgrade from a smaller USB flash drive 2G to a USB flash drive
          > that is 4G.

          You don't need to re-install from scratch just to replace the disk:

          1. Boot with the old disk.
          2. Insert the new disk.
          3. Partition the new disk (e.g. parted or fdisk).

          Now EITHER:

          4. Create a filesystem on the new disk (e.g. mke3fs, ?parted?).
          5. Copy the contents of the old disk to the new disk (e.g. cp or
          tar|tar or rsync).
          - take care to preserve ownership and permissions, and not to cross
          filesystems into e.g. /tmp or /proc, and to do the right thing with
          device files (/dev) and symlinks.

          OR:

          4. Copy the raw old filesystem to the raw new filesystem (e.g. dd).
          5. Mount the new disk.
          6. Resize the filesystem on the new disk to occupy the extra space
          (resize2fs, ?parted?).

          7. Power off.
          8. Remove the old disk.
          9. Cross fingers. Power on. Will boot from new disk.

          Alternatively, plug both disks into a Linux PC and do steps 3 to 6 there.

          Do ask if you need more details.

          Phil.
        • greggm233
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2007

            > greggm233 wrote:
            > > If I can't put my NSLU2 into upgrade mode via the reset button
            >
            > We have never found an NSLU2 that can't be put into upgrade mode
            using
            > the reset button. There is no other supported way of installing
            > firmware (there are other ways, and you can find them on the wiki,
            but
            > we no longer support anything other than reset button upgrade
            mode).

            > Please detail the exact steps you are following, so we can work
            out what
            > is going wrong.
            >
            > -- Rod

            Here are the steps I took and what I saw when I try to put my NSLU2
            into upgrade mode.
            1. While holding the reset button, I pressed NSLU2 power on button
            (All USB flash drives are removed and ethernet cable is plugged in)
            2. The ready/status, disk 1 and disk 2 lights began to flash green
            for about 10 secs
            3. The ready/status light changed from a flashing green to a solid
            amber color and the disk 1 and disk 2 lights changed from a flashing
            green to solid green and remained in this state for about 14 seconds
            4. For about one second, the ready/status light then changed from a
            solid amber to red while the disk 1 and disk 2 lights remained solid
            green. After that... all lights went off, including the power light
            button