Re: What's your back-up process?

  • Rob Lockhart
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 28, 2007
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Brian Wood wrote:

      > Mario Ruprecht wrote:
      > >

      > > Brian Wood wrote:
      > >> You could just do a "dd" to another device.
      > >>
      > >> But be careful, things like the /proc directory probably
      > >> don't want to be copied as a back-up.
      > >
      > > Okay, some more explaination from my side:
      > >
      > > I have a working Debian installation which I want to clone
      > > to a second slug. I tried dd in the past but I had
      > > trouble to restore the file system. The blocksize didn't
      > > match. Maybe I can mount the root partition to another
      > > Linux box and could tar it?
      >
      > You can specify the block size for a dd with the
      > bs parameter. Man dd for more complete information. If the
      > drives are of differing sizes you might have to adjust the
      > partition sizes.
      >
      > rsync is a possibility as well, but you;d have to have a
      > working system on the new slug.
      >
      > You could use tar, actually that's more likely to get you
      > into trouble with things like /proc than a dd is, and again
      > you'd have to have at least a filesystem to un-tar to.
      >
      > Installing debian on a slug is so simple that if it were
      > me I'd probably just do a fresh install on the second machine,
      > then copy any data you wanted to "clone". By the time you get
      > through with trying to find an "easy" way you will most
      > likely have spent the same time or even more than it would
      > take to just do that.

      I recently changed HDDs for Fedora 7, and the only thing that seemed
      to work somewhat well was running Knoppix and then using dump/restore.
      I have used that before. Essentially, dumping from one partition,
      and restoring to another partition. Note that I had to create the
      partition on the new HDD first with fdisk, and then mkfs.ext3, before
      the dump/restore.

      Here is one link I used:

      http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-6349_11-6149142.html
      http://oslb.wordpress.com/tag/backup/

      After doing that, I had to reinstall the boot loader, but I'm not sure
      if that is necessary for all NSLU2 distributions (since you boot from
      flash and then mount the external HDD partitions).

      Hope that helps!
      -Rob