rtorrent how to

  • hexdec2000
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2007
      Hello all, i am novice in linux and i have a problem with my nslu2
      i've managed to upgrade to the latest unslung firmware and i have
      telnet access. the problem is i cannot run any application. i've
      installed both ctorrent and rtorrent with the ipkg command but now i
      cannot start them.
      Can anyone help me ?? Please right the instructions as simple as possible

      PS is there any other way to shutdown the slug besides the shutdown
      command from the web interface ?
    • hexdec2000
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 30, 2007
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "hexdec2000" <hexdec2000@...> wrote:

        > Hello all, i am novice in linux and i have a problem with my nslu2
        > i've managed to upgrade to the latest unslung firmware and i have
        > telnet access. the problem is i cannot run any application. i've
        > installed both ctorrent and rtorrent with the ipkg command but now i
        > cannot start them.
        > Can anyone help me ?? Please right the instructions as simple as
        possible

        > PS is there any other way to shutdown the slug besides the shutdown
        > command from the web interface ?

        When i type rtorrent the box responds with a no such file or directory.
        When i type ipkg list_installed it reports that the application is
        installed. DO i have to install something else in order to make
        ctorrent/rtorrent to run ?
      • John
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2007
          > i've installed both ctorrent and rtorrent with the ipkg command
          > but now i cannot start them.

          At the command prompt, type:

          enhanced-ctorrent your.torrent

          where "your.torrent" is the name of the torrent file that you want
          to download.

          > PS is there any other way to shutdown the slug besides the shutdown
          > command from the web interface ?

          As root, type:

          halt

          Or, for a higher level of control, read about the "shutdown"
          command. Or touch the slug's power button which, if I recall
          correctly, also initiates a safe shutdown.
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 30, 2007
            > > PS is there any other way to shutdown the slug besides the shutdown
            > > command from the web interface ?
            >
            > As root, type:
            >
            > halt
            >
            > Or, for a higher level of control, read about the "shutdown"
            > command. Or touch the slug's power button which, if I recall
            > correctly, also initiates a safe shutdown.

            Actually, on Unslung, the "DO_Shutdown" command is recommended. The "halt"
            command should be avoided on Unslung, as it is at best a controlled crash of
            the device. The Linksys "halt" command does not begin a shutdown sequence
            as it does on most normal Linux system. Rather on Unslung, the "halt"
            command sends a kill signal to all running processes, attempts (attempts,
            not necessarily succeeds) to unmount the disks, and then just powers off the
            device -- whether or not any processes actually managed to shutdown in the 1
            second window it gave them. The result is messy, and very likely to cause
            disk corruption eventually.

            So, on Unslung: push the power button, use the web interface, or use the
            "DO_Shutdown" command, but never use the "halt" or "reboot" commands!

            Mike (mwester)
          • jonneymendoza
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 30, 2007
              I am also having the same problem has the original poster. how do i start
              rtorrent after instaling it?

              hexdec2000 wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "hexdec2000" <hexdec2000@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hello all, i am novice in linux and i have a problem with my nslu2
              >> i've managed to upgrade to the latest unslung firmware and i have
              >> telnet access. the problem is i cannot run any application. i've
              >> installed both ctorrent and rtorrent with the ipkg command but now i
              >> cannot start them.
              >> Can anyone help me ?? Please right the instructions as simple as
              > possible
              >>
              >> PS is there any other way to shutdown the slug besides the shutdown
              >> command from the web interface ?
              >>

              > When i type rtorrent the box responds with a no such file or directory.
              > When i type ipkg list_installed it reports that the application is
              > installed. DO i have to install something else in order to make
              > ctorrent/rtorrent to run ?

            • Mike (mwester)
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 30, 2007
                > On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 01:03:18PM -0500, Mike (mwester) wrote:
                > > The "halt" command should be avoided on Unslung, as it is at best
                > > a controlled crash of the device. The Linksys "halt" command
                > > does not begin a shutdown sequence as it does on most normal
                > > Linux system.
                >
                > That is important information!
                >
                > I see that, at least on Unslung 5.5, /sbin/halt is merely a
                > soft link to busybox. Is there any reason not to re-define it as a
                > soft link to /usr/sbin/DO_Shutdown?

                Sadly, yes there's a reason it can't be changed. The shutdown sequence
                initiated by DO_Shutdown, the power button, and the GUI ends (after
                attempting an orderly shutdown) by invoking "halt" to do the final
                power-off. So changing it would result in an infinite loop, ultimately.

                (There was a small project at one time, called "Overslung", that tried to
                replace the startup/shutdown mechanism in Unslung with the more standard
                "init" mechanism. Ultimately, it started to break compatability, and it
                began to look more like SlugOS (aka OpenSlug) than Unslung, so there really
                wasn't any point. If a sane startup and shutdown is required, such as for
                UPS systems or for RAID disk handling, I'd recommend SlugOS for such users.)

                Mike (mwester)
              • John
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 30, 2007
                  On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:33:29AM -0700, jonneymendoza wrote:
                  > I am also having the same problem has the original poster. how do i start
                  > rtorrent after instaling it?

                  What output do you get from the command "which rtorrent"?

                  If you are looking for detailed operational info, have you
                  tried "man rtorrent"?
                • hexdec2000
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 31, 2007
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
                    wrote:

                    > > On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 01:03:18PM -0500, Mike (mwester) wrote:
                    > > > The "halt" command should be avoided on Unslung, as it is at best
                    > > > a controlled crash of the device. The Linksys "halt" command
                    > > > does not begin a shutdown sequence as it does on most normal
                    > > > Linux system.
                    > >
                    > > That is important information!
                    > >
                    > > I see that, at least on Unslung 5.5, /sbin/halt is merely a
                    > > soft link to busybox. Is there any reason not to re-define it as a
                    > > soft link to /usr/sbin/DO_Shutdown?
                    >
                    > Sadly, yes there's a reason it can't be changed. The shutdown sequence
                    > initiated by DO_Shutdown, the power button, and the GUI ends (after
                    > attempting an orderly shutdown) by invoking "halt" to do the final
                    > power-off. So changing it would result in an infinite loop, ultimately.
                    >
                    > (There was a small project at one time, called "Overslung", that
                    tried to
                    > replace the startup/shutdown mechanism in Unslung with the more standard
                    > "init" mechanism. Ultimately, it started to break compatability, and it
                    > began to look more like SlugOS (aka OpenSlug) than Unslung, so there
                    really
                    > wasn't any point. If a sane startup and shutdown is required, such
                    as for
                    > UPS systems or for RAID disk handling, I'd recommend SlugOS for such
                    users.)

                    > Mike (mwester)

                    First of all i would like to thank you for your replies.Up until now i
                    managed to use enhanced ctorrent with ctcs which seems to work.
                    when i type ./rtorrent the program responds with error opening
                    terminal, what does this mean
                    Also after the upgrade to unslung the power button does not respond,
                    when i press it. If i continue to press it (for about 30secs) the
                    device starts to beep for about five minutes and then continues to
                    work, but it never shuts down. I initiate shutdown from the web terminal
                  • John
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 31, 2007
                      > when i type ./rtorrent the program responds with error opening

                      1. What directory are you in when you type "./rtorrent"?

                      2. What is the output of the command "which rtorrent"?

                      3. What **exactly** is the error message that you see?
                    • hexdec2000
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, John <jl.050877@...> wrote:

                        > > when i type ./rtorrent the program responds with error opening
                        >
                        > 1. What directory are you in when you type "./rtorrent"?
                        >
                        > 2. What is the output of the command "which rtorrent"?
                        >
                        > 3. What **exactly** is the error message that you see?

                        1. i'm in the /opt/bin directory
                        2. which: No such file or directory
                        3. The error message is the following
                        Error opening terminal: unknown
                      • jonneymendoza
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 3, 2007
                          it just says no file or folder exists with rtorrent does it have a "watch"
                          folder where you just drop the torrent files in it and rtorrent will
                          automaticly download them to another folder?