iTunes over NFS

  • Scott Savarese
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2007
      Hey all, I set up my NSLU with openslug and installed the nfs packages
      on it. I then copied over my iTunes music library (22K songs at about
      120Gb) from my Mac laptop. When I start iTunes it takes about 10 hours
      to actually start up. Would it be better to use samba instead of NFS?
      Is there any way to increase performance? I also tried overclocking
      the NSLU which has helped, but not much.

      My NSLU has two USB hubs connected to it. On each hub are 2 USB flash
      drives, one as root and the other getting root rsynced to it. Also on
      the hubs are 2 500Gb USB drives. The drives are RAID1 mirrored and
      then LVM is installed on them.

      Any help getting this to go faster would be much appreciated... Right
      now iTunes isn't usable.

      Thanks,
      Scott
    • Michael Homscheidt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2007
        Hi,

        Scott Savarese wrote:
        > Hey all, I set up my NSLU with openslug and installed the nfs packages
        > on it. I then copied over my iTunes music library (22K songs at about
        > 120Gb) from my Mac laptop. When I start iTunes it takes about 10 hours
        > to actually start up. Would it be better to use samba instead of NFS?
        > Is there any way to increase performance? I also tried overclocking
        > the NSLU which has helped, but not much.

        I've used this configuration for over one year without problems: something around 40GB of music on
        the NSLU. This disk was mounted via nfs to the Mac. Startup time of iTunes less than a minute. The
        library file of iTunes was NOT on the nfs volume but on the local disk. Where is your iTunes library
        file? Maybe this is problem.

        Once I had a problem with my iTunes Library and got the hint "Rebuild it". If you look into your
        iTunes folder you should see the following:

        - a file: iTunes Library (big)
        - a file: iTunes Library.xml (not so big)
        - a folder: iTunes Music

        To rebuild your iTunes Library (the .xml-file) you can do the following.
        - make a backup
        - move or rename the iTunes Library.xml
        - start iTunes
        - wait some long time...

        Regards
        Michael.

        Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
        Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
        Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
        Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
        Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
        Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

        This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
        If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
        It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.
      • Scott Savarese
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Michael Homscheidt
          <michael.homscheidt@...> wrote:

          > I've used this configuration for over one year without problems:
          something around 40GB of music on
          > the NSLU. This disk was mounted via nfs to the Mac. Startup time of
          iTunes less than a minute. The
          > library file of iTunes was NOT on the nfs volume but on the local
          disk. Where is your iTunes library
          > file? Maybe this is problem.

          right now the library file is on the NFS disk. he plan is to keep two
          libraries... One on my laptop I can take with me with a subset of the
          music, and one on my NSLU with the master collection. I am using a
          symlink to point to the library that I want when iTunes starts up.

          The goal at the end of this is to have both my laptop and my fiancee's
          laptop have access to the iTunes library so that we can both share the
          music.

          I can try keeping the xml file and the data on the NFS disk, but the
          library file local. I'll try it tonight and let you know if it works
          (it'll take at least 2 days to rebuild the library file).

          Thanks,
          Scott
        • Michael Homscheidt
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21, 2007
            > right now the library file is on the NFS disk. he plan is to keep two
            > libraries... One on my laptop I can take with me with a subset of the
            > music, and one on my NSLU with the master collection. I am using a
            > symlink to point to the library that I want when iTunes starts up.

            Hello,

            did you know that iTunes has the capability to switch the library at startup? Just hold down the
            'alt'-key at startup and choose the library you want. At the next iTunes startup the last used
            library is usewd again. Then you don't need to use symlinks. Also you could have both libraries on
            your local disk which might improve performance.

            Kind regards