Re: 10Meg Ramdisk

  • joule360
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2004
      You need to use a loopback device in order to mount an image as a filesystem. Assuming
      that your kernel has been built to support the loop device (most distros do this by default,
      either built into the kernel or as a module - that doesn't matter for what you do, though),
      then you can check to see that you have devices /dev/loopn where n is usually 0 through
      some larger number.

      If you have in your current working directory the unzipped ramdisk image (eg you've taken
      ramdisk.gz from Brian's splitnslu2 program and unzipped it with gunzip -N ramdisk.gz),
      then you can mount it with:

      mkdir test
      mount -t ext2 -o loop ramdisk test
      (you need to be root to do this).

      Now, cd into test and you are in your ramdisk file system. Make whatever mods you want,
      then go back to the original working dir.

      umount test
      gzip -9 -f ramdisk

      will zip it back into ramdisk.gz, and then you can use splitnslu to put the image back into
      a new flash image.

      Apparently, under MacOSX (which I am using) you can just click on a disk image in the
      finder and it will mount automagically - if the filesystem is supported by the Mac, which
      ext2 is not.

      nl