Re: [nslu2-linux] Unslung DVD+-RW

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2007
      You'll need the kernel modules for isofs, and the driver for the cdrom
      (which I think is cdrom, appropriately enough). This will enable you to
      mount and read CDs and DVDs. If you do the right stuff with samba (see the
      wiki for how to customize the samba settings) you should be able to mount
      the CD or DVD on the slug, and then share it with Samba.

      In order to burn a CD or DVD, you'll need an application that can do that,
      and a great deal of luck. Check the mailing list archives; someone did some
      work with this some time ago (over a year ago, I think). Basically, you can
      do it, but the data rate that the NSLU2 can sustain (since it's reading the
      disk AND writing to the burner on USB) is very low. You may not even be
      able to meet the minimum required for a modern DVD burner. As far as I
      know, there is no software that can make a network burner look like a local
      burner to a Windows box. So in general, burning is just not practical with
      the slug.

      As for the lightscribe -- I don't know of anything for Unslung that does
      that. Perhaps someone else knows how Linux handles the Lightscribe
      printing?

      Mike (mwester)