Unslung DVD+-RW

  • pjsmith_injen
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2007
      Hi,

      Please could someone explain how I can get my [LG Multi with
      Lightscribe] DVD+-RW drive to be recognised by my Slug [that currently
      uses the latest version of Unslung]. If possible, I would also like to
      be able to see the drive as a CD/DVD drive from Windows, rather than a
      Network HDD - does anyone know of any Windows software that can achieve
      this. Finally, I would like to get Lightscribe printing working over
      the Network with this device - does anyone know how to achieve this
      [again with Unslung].
      Any help and/or advice would be gratefully received.

      Thanks and regards
      Pete
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2007
        You'll need the kernel modules for isofs, and the driver for the cdrom
        (which I think is cdrom, appropriately enough). This will enable you to
        mount and read CDs and DVDs. If you do the right stuff with samba (see the
        wiki for how to customize the samba settings) you should be able to mount
        the CD or DVD on the slug, and then share it with Samba.

        In order to burn a CD or DVD, you'll need an application that can do that,
        and a great deal of luck. Check the mailing list archives; someone did some
        work with this some time ago (over a year ago, I think). Basically, you can
        do it, but the data rate that the NSLU2 can sustain (since it's reading the
        disk AND writing to the burner on USB) is very low. You may not even be
        able to meet the minimum required for a modern DVD burner. As far as I
        know, there is no software that can make a network burner look like a local
        burner to a Windows box. So in general, burning is just not practical with
        the slug.

        As for the lightscribe -- I don't know of anything for Unslung that does
        that. Perhaps someone else knows how Linux handles the Lightscribe
        printing?

        Mike (mwester)