Re: [nslu2-linux] transmission

  • Mark Overholser Jr
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2007
      Yea or if you have an SSH server up you can use scp to drop the files in the proper directory (just an alternative).

      On 8/2/07, jonneymendoza < jrichards1408@...> wrote:

      ahh i see like ftp into the watch folder and drop the files there? sounds
      easier and more secure than accessing the torrent program via web based

      Mark Overholser Jr wrote:

      > rtorrent has that sort of functionality. It has the ability for you to
      > specify a "watch folder" where if it finds a new torrent in that folder it
      > will start downloading it. So, you would just need a way to drop torrents
      > into a folder on your NSLU2 from work.
      >
      > On 8/2/07, jonneymendoza <jrichards1408@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> Thanks i will try ctorrent. can i access and upload/start torrent
      >> downloads
      >> from a remote computer? for example im at work and i see a torrent i want
      >> download. what i want to do is to download just the torrent file and then
      >> send it to my nslu2 device and it will automaticly start downloading the
      >> torrent from there. So has soon as i reach home it will be finished
      >> downloading :)
      >> --
      >> .

    • jonneymendoza
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 3, 2007
        thanks for your advice guys. i opt to try the ctorrent and when i installed
        the enhanced-ctorrent using ipkg intsall i get the following error:

        ERROR: cron.postinst returned 2
        Configuring enhanced-ctorrent
        Configuring xinetd
        Note that telnetd is enabled by default. Edit /opt/etc/xinetd.d/telnetd
        and set 'disable=yes' to disable telnet AFTER making sure that Dropbear
        or other means of logging onto your system are enabled and working.

        Note that only 192.168.1.0/24 has access in the default configuration
        //usr/lib/ipkg/info/xinetd.postinst: /opt/etc/init.d/S10xinetd: Not a
        directory
        postinst script returned status 2
        ERROR: xinetd.postinst returned 2

        any ideas what this may be? thanks in advance
      • jonneymendoza
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 8, 2007
          hi can anyone kindly notify me what my error is about posted from my
          becase from the wiki its not stated on how to launch it.
        • jonneymendoza
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 23, 2007
            im guessing no one has any idea what my error is about? this nslu2 is a real
            nightmare to setup. transmission, opessh and CUPs dont work in this....... i
            am close to giving up on the whole thing tbh
          • Vidar Tysse
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 23, 2007
              > thanks for your advice guys. i opt to try the ctorrent and when i
              > installed
              > the enhanced-ctorrent using ipkg intsall i get the following error:
              >

              > ERROR: cron.postinst returned 2
              > Configuring enhanced-ctorrent
              > Configuring xinetd
              > Note that telnetd is enabled by default. Edit /opt/etc/xinetd.d/telnetd
              > and set 'disable=yes' to disable telnet AFTER making sure that Dropbear
              > or other means of logging onto your system are enabled and working.
              >
              > Note that only 192.168.1.0/24 has access in the default configuration
              > //usr/lib/ipkg/info/xinetd.postinst: /opt/etc/init.d/S10xinetd: Not a
              > directory
              > postinst script returned status 2
              > ERROR: xinetd.postinst returned 2

              I don't see how xinetd got involved here, as enhanced-ctorrent does not
              depend on it AFAIK. Those messages come from xinetd's postinst file.

              Anyway, after installing you can start it with this command:

              /opt/bin/enhanced-ctorrent

              If everyting's ok that should give you some syntax info etc.

              If you plan on running it unattended, have a look at the screen package.

              --
              __Vidar__
            • jonneymendoza
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 23, 2007
                Vidar Tysse wrote:

                >> thanks for your advice guys. i opt to try the ctorrent and when i
                >> installed
                >> the enhanced-ctorrent using ipkg intsall i get the following error:
                >>

                >> ERROR: cron.postinst returned 2
                >> Configuring enhanced-ctorrent
                >> Configuring xinetd
                >> Note that telnetd is enabled by default. Edit /opt/etc/xinetd.d/telnetd
                >> and set 'disable=yes' to disable telnet AFTER making sure that Dropbear
                >> or other means of logging onto your system are enabled and working.
                >>
                >> Note that only 192.168.1.0/24 has access in the default configuration
                >> //usr/lib/ipkg/info/xinetd.postinst: /opt/etc/init.d/S10xinetd: Not a
                >> directory
                >> postinst script returned status 2
                >> ERROR: xinetd.postinst returned 2
                >
                > I don't see how xinetd got involved here, as enhanced-ctorrent does not
                > depend on it AFAIK. Those messages come from xinetd's postinst file.
                >
                > Anyway, after installing you can start it with this command:
                >
                > /opt/bin/enhanced-ctorrent
                >
                > If everyting's ok that should give you some syntax info etc.
                >
                > If you plan on running it unattended, have a look at the screen package.
                >
                > --
                > __Vidar__

                Thanks for that, i managed to start ctorrent and all the commands appear. i
                also installed ctcs. how do i use that via my web browser and how do i start
                downloading/uploading torrents on it?

                Also how would be able to access my ctorrent remotely so that while im at
                work i can simply download the torrent file from work and send it over to my
                nslu2 for it to download imediatly
              • Vidar Tysse
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 24, 2007
                  > Thanks for that, i managed to start ctorrent and all the commands
                  > appear. i
                  > also installed ctcs. how do i use that via my web browser and how do i
                  > start
                  > downloading/uploading torrents on it?

                  To manage via CTCS, browse to http://your-slug-address:2780/

                  To start an enhanced-ctorrent session that is managed by CTCS, use the -S
                  option on the enhanced-ctorrent command line. From the help output from
                  enhanced-ctorrent:

                  -S host:port Use CTCS server at host:port.

                  > Also how would be able to access my ctorrent remotely so that while im
                  > at
                  > work i can simply download the torrent file from work and send it over
                  > to my
                  > nslu2 for it to download imediatly

                  To access the CTCS web GUI remotely, you could open a port in your
                  router's fiewall and have it forwarded to TCP port 2780 on your slug.
                  Security-wise that's not so wise though. Consider running stunnel on the
                  slug to provide https (encrypted) access to CTCS.

                  To download a torrent to your slug remotely, you could use FTP upload.
                  Consider sftp for security.

                  To have the torrent download start immediately, you would have to have a
                  script running on your slug that looks for files dropped in a
                  predetermined directory and starts an enhanced-ctorrent session when it
                  sees a new file. The script could run permanently or be started as a
                  cron job periodically. I uploaded such a script to the nslu2.general
                  list some time ago. Below is that message, and the script (autorrent.sh)
                  is attached:

                  -------
                  Someone (Whaly) posted a script for this in the nslu2_linux list some
                  time ago.

                  I have adapted that script for my own use. See attached file
                  autorrent.sh.
                  To set it up, change "autorrent-root" in the paths to fit your setup and
                  then create these directories:

                  /your-torrent-root/torrents/torrents/queue/low
                  /your-torrent-root/torrents/torrents/queue/high
                  /your-torrent-root/torrents/processing
                  /your-torrent-root/torrents/done

                  The script is started from unslung/rc.local and will run forever:

                  su autorrent-user -c "sh /autorrent-root/autorrent.sh"

                  Replace "autorrent-user" with the user that should run the script and
                  enhanced-ctorrent. Make sure that this user has full access to
                  /your-torrent-root/ and subdirectories (e.g. use your Windows user).

                  Now you can queue a new torrent by dropping the torrent file into the low
                  or high directory depending on its urgency.

                  The script will process queued torrents sequentially, picking from high
                  first and from low only when high is empty. Regretfully it will only let
                  you have one torrent active at any given time, i.e. no further
                  downloading until the current torrent has finished seeding. Extending
                  the script to support two or three "processing" directories shouldn't be
                  that big a task though.
                  -------

                  Best of luck!

                  --
                  __Vidar__

                  begin 666 autorrent.sh
                  M(R$O8FEN+W-H"B-S970@+7@*(PHC($%U=&]M871I8R!4;W)R96YT($1O=VYL
                  M;V%D(%%U975E($UA;F%G97(*(R *(R!#<F5A=&4@82!D961I8V%T960@=7-E
                  M<B B875T;W)R96YT+75S97(B(&9O<B!R=6YN:6YG('1H:7,@<V-R:7!T+@HC
                  M"B,@4W1A<G0@=&AI<R!S8W)I<'0@9G)O;2!U;G-L=6YG+W)C+FQO8V%L(&%N
                  M9"!I="!W:6QL(')U;B!I;F1E9FEN:71E;'DZ"B,*(R @('-U(&%U=&]R<F5N
                  M="UU<V5R("UC(")S:" O875T;W)R96YT+7)O;W0O875T;W)R96YT+G-H(B F
                  M"B,*"F=E=$YE>'1&:6QE*"D*>PH)8V0@)%1/4E)%3E1$25(*"51/4E)%3E1&
                  M24Q%7T953$Q0051(/6!F:6YD("X@+6UA>&1E<'1H(#(@+6YA;64@(BHN=&]R
                  M<F5N="(@?"!H96%D("UN(#$@?"!C=70@+60@(B\B("UF(#(M8 H)5$]24D5.
                  M5$9)3$4]8&9I;F0@+B M;6%X9&5P=&@@,B M;F%M92 B*BYT;W)R96YT(B!\
                  M(&AE860@+6X@,2!\(&-U=" M9" B+R(@+68@,RU@"GT*"B,@36%I;B!B;&]C
                  M:R!S=&%R=',*"E1/4E)%3E1$25(](B]A=71O<G)E;G0M<F]O="]T;W)R96YT
                  M<R]Q=65U92(*5T]22T1)4CTB+V%U=&]R<F5N="UR;V]T+W1O<G)E;G1S+W!R
                  M;V-E<W-I;F<B"D9)3DE32$5$7T1)4CTB+V%U=&]R<F5N="UR;V]T+W1O<G)E
                  M;G1S+V1O;F4B"D-,245.5#TB+V]P="]B:6XO96YH86YC960M8W1O<G)E;G0B
                  M"D-,245.5%]/4%1)3TX](BU#(#0@+64@,C0@+5,@;&]C86QH;W-T.C(W.# B
                  M"G=H:6QE(%L@,2!=.R!D;PH)9V5T3F5X=$9I;&4*"7=H:6QE(%L@(B143U)2
                  M14Y41DE,12(@(3T@(B(@73L@9&\*"0EM=B B)%1/4E)%3E1&24Q%7T953$Q0
                  M051((B D5T]22T1)4@H)"6-D("173U)+1$E2"@D)96-H;R D5$]24D5.5$9)
                  M3$4@/B D5$]24D5.5$1)4B]7;W)K:6YG+G1X= H)"21#3$E%3E0@)$-,245.
                  M5%]/4%1)3TX@(B143U)214Y41DE,12(*"0EM=B D5T]22T1)4B\J("1&24Y)
                  M4TA%1%]$25(O"@D)<FT@)%1/4E)%3E1$25(O5V]R:VEN9RYT>'0*"0EG971.
                  M97AT1FEL90H)9&]N90H)<VQE97 @-C *9&]N90H*(R!-86EN(&)L;V-K(&5N
                  #9',*
                  `
                  end
                • jonneymendoza
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 30, 2007
                    hi when you mean by -s host:port do you mean somthing like -s
                    192.168.x.x:1000 ? i tried that and it sais there is no such filename?

                    Vidar Tysse wrote:

> [...]
                    > -------
                    >
                    > Best of luck!
                    >
                    > --
                    > __Vidar__
                    >

                    > begin 666 autorrent.sh
                    > M(R$O8FEN+W-H"B-S970@+7@*(PHC($%U=&]M871I8R!4;W)R96YT($1O=VYL
                    > M;V%D(%%U975E($UA;F%G97(*(R *(R!#<F5A=&4@82!D961I8V%T960@=7-E
                    > M'1&:6QE*"D*>PH)8V0@)%1/4E)%3E1$25(*"51/4E)%3E1&
                    > M24Q%7T953$Q0051(/6!F:6YD("X@+6UA>&1E<'1H(#(@+6YA;64@(BHN=&]R
                    > M<F5N="(@?"!H96%D("UN(#$@?"!C=70@+60@(B\B("UF(#(M8 H)5$]24D5.
                    > M5$9)3$4]8&9I;F0@+B M;6%X9&5P=&@@,B M;F%M92 B*BYT;W)R96YT(B!\
                    > M(&AE860@+6X@,2!\(&-U=" M9" B+R(@+68@,RU@"GT*"B,@36%I;B!B;&]C
                    > M:R!S=&%R=',*"E1/4E)%3E1$25(](B]A=71O<G)E;G0M<F]O="]T;W)R96YT
                    > M<R]Q=65U92(*5T]22T1)4CTB+V%U=&]R<F5N="UR;V]T+W1O<G)E;G1S+W!R
                    > M;V-E<W-I;F<B"D9)3DE32$5$7T1)4CTB+V%U=&]R<F5N="UR;V]T+W1O<G)E
                    > M;G1S+V1O;F4B"D-,245.5#TB+V]P="]B:6XO96YH86YC960M8W1O<G)E;G0B

                  • jonneymendoza
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 30, 2007
                      hi when you mean by -s host:port do you mean somthing like -s
                      192.168.x.x:1000 ? i tried that and it says there is no such filename?

                      Vidar Tysse wrote:

> [...]
                      > -------
                      >
                      > Best of luck!
                      >
                      > --
                      > __Vidar__
                      >

                      > begin 666 autorrent.sh
                      > M(R$O8FEN+W-H"B-S970@+7@*(PHC($%U=&]M871I8R!4;W)R96YT($1O=VYL
                      > M;V%D(%%U975E($UA;F%G97(*(R *(R!#<F5A=&4@82!D961I8V%T960@=7-E
                      > M'1&:6QE*"D*>PH)8V0@)%1/4E)%3E1$25(*"51/4E)%3E1&
                      > M24Q%7T953$Q0051(/6!F:6YD("X@+6UA>&1E<'1H(#(@+6YA;64@(BHN=&]R
                      > M<F5N="(@?"!H96%D("UN(#$@?"!C=70@+60@(B\B("UF(#(M8 H)5$]24D5.
                      > M5$9)3$4]8&9I;F0@+B M;6%X9&5P=&@@,B M;F%M92 B*BYT;W)R96YT(B!\
                      > M(&AE860@+6X@,2!\(&-U=" M9" B+R(@+68@,RU@"GT*"B,@36%I;B!B;&]C
                      > M:R!S=&%R=',*"E1/4E)%3E1$25(](B]A=71O<G)E;G0M<F]O="]T;W)R96YT
                      > M<R]Q=65U92(*5T]22T1)4CTB+V%U=&]R<F5N="UR;V]T+W1O<G)E;G1S+W!R
                      > M;V-E<W-I;F<B"D9)3DE32$5$7T1)4CTB+V%U=&]R<F5N="UR;V]T+W1O<G)E
                      > M;G1S+V1O;F4B"D-,245.5#TB+V]P="]B:6XO96YH86YC960M8W1O<G)E;G0B

                    • Vidar Tysse
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 30, 2007
                        "jonneymendoza" wrote
                        > hi when you mean by -s host:port do you mean somthing like -s
                        > 192.168.x.x:1000 ? i tried that and it says there is no such filename?

                        Something like that, but with -S, not -s (that is a capital S). And the
                        host:port will be localhost:2780 in most cases. See the script I
                        attached to my previous message for an example. A full command might
                        look like this (all on one line).

                        /opt/bin/enhanced-ctorrent -C 4 -e 24 -S localhost:2780 ~/my.torrent

                        --
                        __Vidar__
                      • jonneymendoza
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 3, 2007
                          Thanks i will try that later. one question. is the autorun script that you
                          posted is this?

                          M<'0@9G)O;2!U;G-L=6YG+W)C+FQO8V%L(&%N M9"!I="!W:6QL(')U;B!I;F1E9FEN:71E;'DZ"
                          B,*(R @('-U(&%U=&]R'1&:6QE*"D*>PH)8V0@)%1/4E)%3E1$25(*"51/4E)%3E1&
                          M24Q%7T953$Q0051(/6!F:6YD("X@+6UA>&1E<'1H(#(@+6YA;64@(BHN=&]R
                          M<F5N="(@?"!H96%D("UN(#$@?"!C=70@+60@(B\B("UF(#(M8 H)5$]24D5.
                          M5$9)3$4]8&9I;F0@+B M;6%X9&5P=&@@,B M;F%M92 B*BYT;W)R96YT(B!\
                          M(&AE860@+6X@,2!\(&-U=" M9" B+R(@+68@,RU@"GT*"B,@36%I;B!B;&]C
                          M:R!S=&%R=',*"E1/4E)%3E1$25(](B]A=71O<G)E;G0M<F]O="]T;W)R96YT ...........

                          do i create a autorrent.sh file and copy and paste those values above into
                          that autorrent.sh file?

                          thanks im begining to get familier on how to execute and run stuff on nslu2

                          Vidar Tysse wrote:

                          > "jonneymendoza" wrote
                          >> hi when you mean by -s host:port do you mean somthing like -s
                          >> 192.168.x.x:1000 ? i tried that and it says there is no such filename?
                          >
                          > Something like that, but with -S, not -s (that is a capital S). And the
                          > host:port will be localhost:2780 in most cases. See the script I
                          > attached to my previous message for an example. A full command might
                          > look like this (all on one line).
                          >
                          > /opt/bin/enhanced-ctorrent -C 4 -e 24 -S localhost:2780 ~/my.torrent
                          >
                          > --
                          > __Vidar__

                        • Vidar Tysse
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 3, 2007
                            > Thanks i will try that later. one question. is the autorun script that
                            > you
                            > posted is this?

                            Not quite � that was only part of it. I have made it available here:

                            http://div.vidartysse.net/autorrent.sh

                            --
                            __Vidar__