Re: Seagate Free Agent Problems?

  • paul518869
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2007
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, <mwester@...> wrote:

      > (via dial-up sorry for the terse response)
      > a) partition remounting on Unslung -- known, normal behavior of the Linksys firmware, see the wiki for several articles mentioning this, and see the mailing list archives for several hundred emails detailing this!
      > b) "Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found" messages are harmless, they are unknown but compatible feature nodes in the jffs2 filesystem.  That's helpful info, right?  (google jffs2 for details, if curious -- I don't even remember anymore).
      > c) can't advise on the disk errors, but they look bad.  Can you run fsck on the disks successfully on a desktop Linux system?
      > Mike (mwester)

      I've actually found a lot more out since my posting.  There is a known "feature" with the Free Agent drives that makes them spin down after 15 mins of no activity.

      I need to either do something that keeps the drive active or make it tell the os that it has spun down.

      I did find a post relating to a kernel patch that can be used to set a value in allow_restart but I guess the poster was referring to another distro as I can't figure where it is in uNSLUng.

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DealWithAutoSpinDownOnSeagateFreeAgent

      I'm guessing the problem only affects my /dev/sda drive as /dev/sdb is where root is and that's always active.  But to be honest I don't know - how do I tell what drive it is from a "Device 8:01" message?
    • paul518869
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2007

        > I've actually found a lot more out since my posting.  There is a known
        > "feature" with the Free Agent drives that makes them spin down after 15
        > mins of no activity.
        >
        > I need to either do something that keeps the drive active or make it
        > tell the os that it has spun down.
        >
        > I did find a post relating to a kernel patch that can be used to set a
        > value in allow_restart but I guess the poster was referring to another
        > distro as I can't figure where it is in uNSLUng.
        >
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DealWithAutoSpinDownOnSeagateFreeAge\
        > nt
        >

        > I'm guessing the problem only affects my /dev/sda drive as /dev/sdb is
        > where root is and that's always active.  But to be honest I don't know -
        > how do I tell what drive it is from a "Device 8:01" message?

        Ok I've put in a "dirty" workaround for now, just so I don't lose data when saving after the 15 minute window.  So far it seems to have at least stopped the I/O errors, but I'd like some help to fix this properly.

        I wrote a script based on the previous article

        #cat /opt/bin/keepspinning
        #!/bin/sh
        dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=1024k count=20
        touch /var/log/keepspinning.log

        which I've cron'd to run every 13 minutes (within the spin down window)... yeah I know, I did say it was dirty right.

      • wunderhorn1
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "paul518869" <paul.bargewell@...>
          wrote:

          > > I've actually found a lot more out since my posting. There is a known
          > > "feature" with the Free Agent drives that makes them spin down after
          > 15
          > > mins of no activity.
          > >
          > > I need to either do something that keeps the drive active or make it
          > > tell the os that it has spun down.
          > >
          > > I did find a post relating to a kernel patch that can be used to set a
          > > value in allow_restart but I guess the poster was referring to another
          > > distro as I can't figure where it is in uNSLUng.

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DealWithAutoSpinDownOnSeagateFreeAge\
          > \
          > > nt
          > >

          > > I'm guessing the problem only affects my /dev/sda drive as /dev/sdb is
          > > where root is and that's always active. But to be honest I don't know
          > -
          > > how do I tell what drive it is from a "Device 8:01" message?
          > >

          > Ok I've put in a "dirty" workaround for now, just so I don't lose data
          > when saving after the 15 minute window. So far it seems to have at
          > least stopped the I/O errors, but I'd like some help to fix this
          > properly.
          >
          > I wrote a script based on the previous article
          >
          > #cat /opt/bin/keepspinning
          > #!/bin/sh
          > dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=1024k count=20
          > touch /var/log/keepspinning.log
          >

          > which I've cron'd to run every 13 minutes (within the spin down
          > window)... yeah I know, I did say it was dirty right.

          Also looking for a solution here...