Re: [nslu2-linux] Formatting problems - yes, I've RTFM

  • Nick Brooks
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2007
      Rod Whitby wrote:

      > Nick Brooks wrote:
      > > I'm having real touble getting a Freecom Toughdrive to be recognised by
      > > the NSLU2.
      >
      > > >dmesg
      > > hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-2, assigned address 2
      > > Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
      > > Device descriptor:18 bytes received.
      > > usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
      >
      > That usually means that the drive is not getting enough power.
      >
      > >From the Freecom web-site:
      >
      > "The Freecom ToughDrive Pro 2.5" is 100% bus-powered"
      >
      > That would explain it.
      >
      > The NSLU2 does not do well with bus-powered drives. The spin-up current
      > is too much for it. Use a self-powered drive and you should fare better.
      >
      > -- Rod

      Thanks for such a quick response
      1. I've ordered a power supply from Freecom which should solve the problem
      2. I wish I'd know this before I started [1] because I was trying to
      build a low power 120Gb Jukebox for my camper van using a slug, a
      harddrive and an netgear mp101

      [1] you can only do so much research (tm)