Serial Port Woes

  • nlinux
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2007
      I apparently posted this to the wrong mailing list earlier, sorry
      guys.

      Hey guys,

      I'm trying to use the serial port on the slug to connect to other
      devices and not as a serial console.

      I have installed OpenWrt and removed the kernel option
      console=ttyS0,115200 from the cmdline options.

      The device boots fine and the kernel no longer wants to have a serial
      console.

      I am connecting a gps puck to the serial port and it works fine, but I
      cannot turn the puck on until the slug is completely booted. I
      suspect that redboot is somehow detecting the gps puck as a serial
      console and is trying to use it, but I'm not sure. If I try to boot
      with the gps puck powered up, the unit hangs. Any ideas or
      suggestions would be most appreciated. Oh this appears to happen on
      both serial ports of the slug too.