Re: [nslu2-linux] nslu2 info needed

  • Brian Wood
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2007
      Roderick Hart wrote:

      > I received several Best Buy gift certificates for my birthday and would
      > like to use them to bring up a surplus Linksys network storage link as
      > a server. What I need is info describing the hardware needed (i.e.
      > memory, hard drive, and etc.) and a step by step initialization
      > procedure. I know there are tons of info floating around the internet,
      > however I would like to avoid having to wade through it just to get the
      > system up. I would love to get this system up to run ham radio
      > applications.
      >
      > Any assistance provided would be appreciate.

      Well 73s from the ex-Wa7UBW and Wa1JWP.

      You really have to start here:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

      For Ham (excuse me, amateur radio) apps I suspect a Debian install would
      give you the most flexibility:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/SlugOSLE?from=DebianSlug.HomePage

      Unless you are very handy with hardware you're probably best off
      sticking with the stock RAM. Pretty much any external USB hard drive
      will work (see the docs).

      If you want to run a TNC with a serial port you'll need some sort of USB
      to serial converter, though TNCs might have USB ports these days, I
      don't know.

      You pretty much just have to flash a firmware image, and install the
      rest of the OS to your taste.

      No real way around RTFM though.

      Have fun.

      BEWW