Re: [nslu2-linux] How to Edit a Very Big file

  • Geoff Parker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12 12:32 PM
      When I worked in the EDA world years ago, I ran into this issue many times.

      1) Use the  'split' utility to split the large file into separate pieces.  Read the man page to see how to split to a certain byte size or number of lines per file, specify a prefix, etc.

      2) Edit the particular files.

      3) Use 'cat' to concatenate the separate files into one destination file.  By default, split will name the files in lexigraphical order so that using wildcard expansion should order the files in the proper order.

      On 7/12/07, Dayananda YS <dayas2003@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      I have a very big text file [ it is a sdf file of some netlist ] . The file has some 7 digit number of lines. I would like to edit the same [ Need to make a correction ]. If I start doing the edit using vi , it does not respond after the changes and :w. If I open in gvim, the system hangs. Could you please let me know how do I make the necessary changes.. ? I have got this file from my Boss who has created this [ I think it is a dump out of some process / tool ].

      Thanks in advance,
      Daya