Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Trying to speed up V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta Slug by uninstalling unused prog

  • Jeroen Massar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8 8:22 AM
      biffa001 wrote:
      > Ok, sounds reasonable 0 I ran ps -aux and got this:
      >
      > # ps -aux
      > PID TTY Uid Size State Command
      > 1 root 1212 S /bin/init
      > 2 root 0 S [keventd]

      All the "[...]" ones are kernel processes, and looking at it you most
      likely need all of those.

      > 54 ttyS0 root 1916 S /bin/sh

      Well you should be able to login and have a shell, so lets not get rid
      of this one :)

      > 55 root 1936 S /sbin/syslogd -n
      > 56 root 1924 S /sbin/klogd -n

      Both handy if you actually want to see important messages, but if you
      can live without it you can kill that off.

      > 147 root 0 S [kjournald]

      Another kernel thingy

      > 210 root 9892 S upnpd &>/dev/null

      Unless you are using uPnP you can kill this off
      See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/uPNP

      > 317 root 2156 S /usr/sbin/thttpd -C /etc/thttpd.conf

      If you don't need a webinterface wellps then it can go :)

      > 341 root 6156 S /usr/sbin/smbd -D
      > 343 root 6156 S /usr/sbin/smbd -D
      > 344 root 4824 S /usr/sbin/nmbd -D

      This is Samba, as you are usingthe slug for file access, at least from
      windows you will need this.

      > 368 root 1952 S /usr/sbin/QuickSet
      > 373 root 1904 S /usr/sbin/USB_Detect
      > 376 root 1900 S /usr/sbin/USB_Detect
      > 388 root 1296 S /usr/sbin/crond
      > 394 root 1928 S /usr/sbin/CheckResetButton
      > 396 root 1196 S /usr/sbin/CheckPowerButton
      > 398 root 1196 S /usr/sbin/do_umount
      > 454 root 1620 S /opt/sbin/dropbear

      SSH, as you do want to be able to access this box.

      > 479 guest 1788 S /opt/sbin/ccxstream -r
      > /share/flash/data/pu

      hmm, that is an "Xbox media center" thingy, which might explain the
      above upnpd also, unless you use it, that can definitely go.

      > 683 guest 6732 S /usr/sbin/smbd -D
      > 7295 root 1920 S /opt/sbin/dropbear
      > 7296 ttyp0 root 1920 S -sh
      > 7312 root 2156 S /usr/sbin/thttpd -C /etc/thttpd.conf

      Another webprocess that can maybe go.

      > 7326 root 1276 S /bin/inetd
      > 7327 root 1256 S /usr/sbin/telnetd

      As you have SSH (dropbear) you can disable these, unless you configured
      it to run from inetd, check /etc/inetd.conf first for that.

      > 7328 ttyp1 root 1920 S -sh
      > 7329 ttyp1 root 1984 R ps -aux
      >
      > The only one in there that I know needs to run is ccxstream which I
      > use to stream media to my Xbox.

      You might try and disable upnpd, thought it might be needed by it, I am
      not sure there.

      With disable I btw mean "kill -9 $pid", this will work till you reboot,
      thus if you peep up it will come back nice and easily :)

      Greets,
      Jeroen
    • biffa001
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8 8:47 AM
        Thanks for your help - will read through and hopefully speed things up
        a bit.

        So am I right in saying that having a nearly full HDD, by nearly I
        mean the web interface shows I have 8% free of 200GB, won't make any
        difference to the speed of my slug?

        Cheers
        Steve

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jeroen Massar <jeroen@...> wrote:

        > biffa001 wrote:
        > > Ok, sounds reasonable 0 I ran ps -aux and got this:
        > >
        > > # ps -aux
        > > PID TTY Uid Size State Command
        > > 1 root 1212 S /bin/init
        > > 2 root 0 S [keventd]
        >
        > All the "[...]" ones are kernel processes, and looking at it you most
        > likely need all of those.
        >
        > > 54 ttyS0 root 1916 S /bin/sh
        >
        > Well you should be able to login and have a shell, so lets not get rid
        > of this one :)
        >
        > > 55 root 1936 S /sbin/syslogd -n
        > > 56 root 1924 S /sbin/klogd -n
        >
        > Both handy if you actually want to see important messages, but if you
        > can live without it you can kill that off.
        >
        > > 147 root 0 S [kjournald]
        >
        > Another kernel thingy
        >
        > > 210 root 9892 S upnpd &>/dev/null
        >
        > Unless you are using uPnP you can kill this off
        > See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/uPNP
        >
        > > 317 root 2156 S /usr/sbin/thttpd -C
        /etc/thttpd.conf

        > If you don't need a webinterface wellps then it can go :)
        >
        > > 341 root 6156 S /usr/sbin/smbd -D
        > > 343 root 6156 S /usr/sbin/smbd -D
        > > 344 root 4824 S /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
        >
        > This is Samba, as you are usingthe slug for file access, at least from
        > windows you will need this.
        >
        > > 368 root 1952 S /usr/sbin/QuickSet
        > > 373 root 1904 S /usr/sbin/USB_Detect
        > > 376 root 1900 S /usr/sbin/USB_Detect
        > > 388 root 1296 S /usr/sbin/crond
        > > 394 root 1928 S /usr/sbin/CheckResetButton
        > > 396 root 1196 S /usr/sbin/CheckPowerButton
        > > 398 root 1196 S /usr/sbin/do_umount
        > > 454 root 1620 S /opt/sbin/dropbear
        >
        > SSH, as you do want to be able to access this box.
        >
        > > 479 guest 1788 S /opt/sbin/ccxstream -r
        > > /share/flash/data/pu
        >
        > hmm, that is an "Xbox media center" thingy, which might explain the
        > above upnpd also, unless you use it, that can definitely go.
        >

        > > 683 guest 6732 S /usr/sbin/smbd -D
        > > 7295 root 1920 S /opt/sbin/dropbear
        > > 7296 ttyp0 root 1920 S -sh
        > > 7312 root 2156 S /usr/sbin/thttpd -C
        /etc/thttpd.conf

        > Another webprocess that can maybe go.
        >
        > > 7326 root 1276 S /bin/inetd
        > > 7327 root 1256 S /usr/sbin/telnetd
        >
        > As you have SSH (dropbear) you can disable these, unless you configured
        > it to run from inetd, check /etc/inetd.conf first for that.
        >
        > > 7328 ttyp1 root 1920 S -sh
        > > 7329 ttyp1 root 1984 R ps -aux
        > >
        > > The only one in there that I know needs to run is ccxstream which I
        > > use to stream media to my Xbox.
        >
        > You might try and disable upnpd, thought it might be needed by it, I am
        > not sure there.
        >
        > With disable I btw mean "kill -9 $pid", this will work till you reboot,
        > thus if you peep up it will come back nice and easily :)
        >
        > Greets,
        > Jeroen

      • Jeroen Massar
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8 9:09 AM
          biffa001 wrote:
          > Thanks for your help - will read through and hopefully speed things up
          > a bit.
          >
          > So am I right in saying that having a nearly full HDD, by nearly I
          > mean the web interface shows I have 8% free of 200GB, won't make any
          > difference to the speed of my slug?

          An empty disk is always "faster" when writing and might be "faster" when
          reading from it, this due to fragmentation of files. But in general this
          should not be very noticable unless you wrote a lot of small files to
          the disk.

          The memory in the slug, and thus the caching it can do, is far more
          important. Of course the network and the node you are using to fetch the
          data from should also be taken into account, next to how one configures
          samba. There are some tuning things to be found in google for that, but
          it all depends on how one exactly uses it.

          Greets,
          Jeroen
        • biffa001
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8 10:16 AM
            Thanks - I will have to look into this more.

            My setup is basically this.

            1) NSLU2 w/200GB HDD w/ide>usb adaptor - connected via ethernet to:

            2) Belkin wireless router

            I then access from:

            3) Xbox, always ethernet wired to router. I use ccxstream to stream
            mp3 and video files from the NSLU2 which works ok with no stutter etc.
            I only seem to get a slow down when trying to move through directories
            with a large number of files. To cut down on this I moved my MP3's
            from one large directory to 4 smaller directories (A-F, G-K etc).

            4) My PC, which runs Ubuntu Linux, wirelessly connects to the router
            and I use a small program called SMB4K which mounts my SLUG each boot.
            This does cause a problem with then accessoing the slug from my xbox
            at the same time which is annoying. To stop this I have to exit SMB4K
            on my PC. Strangly enough I used to access my SLUG from windows and my
            xbox at the same time with no such issues....!

            Cheers
            Steve

            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Jeroen Massar <jeroen@...> wrote:

            > biffa001 wrote:
            > > Thanks for your help - will read through and hopefully speed things up
            > > a bit.
            > >
            > > So am I right in saying that having a nearly full HDD, by nearly I
            > > mean the web interface shows I have 8% free of 200GB, won't make any
            > > difference to the speed of my slug?
            >
            > An empty disk is always "faster" when writing and might be "faster" when
            > reading from it, this due to fragmentation of files. But in general this
            > should not be very noticable unless you wrote a lot of small files to
            > the disk.
            >
            > The memory in the slug, and thus the caching it can do, is far more
            > important. Of course the network and the node you are using to fetch the
            > data from should also be taken into account, next to how one configures
            > samba. There are some tuning things to be found in google for that, but
            > it all depends on how one exactly uses it.
            >
            > Greets,
            > Jeroen

          • biffa001
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 14 4:18 AM
              > 4) My PC, which runs Ubuntu Linux, wirelessly connects to the router
              > and I use a small program called SMB4K which mounts my SLUG each boot.
              > This does cause a problem with then accessing the slug from my xbox
              > at the same time which is annoying. To stop this I have to exit SMB4K
              > on my PC. Strangely enough I used to access my SLUG from windows and my
              > xbox at the same time with no such issues....!

              Just in case anyone else has this problem and needs help - I found the
              cause of the problem.

              I had accidentally given my PC running Ubuntu and my Xbox the SAME IP
              address. Now that they both have their own IP's, I can access my slug
              from both at the same time with no ill effects :-)

              Cheers
              Steve