Re: [nslu2-linux] Unslung free flash space?

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007
      > If I install Unslung, is there enough free space on the flash drive to
      install
      > CUPS directly, or will it only work if I attach a natively formatted hard
      drive?

      No, there is no free space on the flash drive of any significance, and
      certainly not enough for a large package like cups. Also, when running
      without having unslung to an external disk or flash device, the /var
      partition is coming from the internal RAM -- so the lack of available space
      is compounded by an effective reduction in the amount of memory available
      for cups. Also note that there is a failure mode associated with the type
      of filesystem used on the internal flash -- basically, it requires at least
      on free flash block that it can erase in order to do a delete operation. So
      if you are not lucky, it is rather easy to fill up the internal flash to the
      point where you cannot add anything more, but it is also too full to delete
      anything -- when you get in this situation, you must reflash the device
      entirely!

      The "no disks attached" mode of operation with Unslung is intended only for
      diagnostics and repair, and initial setup. If you need an "everything in
      the internal flash" mode of operation, you should take a look at the OpenWRT
      distribution for the NSLU2, which offers more space and generally better
      support for such a "internal-flash-only" operation mode.

      > (Is there any information anywhere on the Wiki about how much space is
      > available, and how big the packages are?)

      Not really. Unslung is designed to run with an external disk or USB flash
      device, where such detail is not necessary. Checking the size of the ipkg
      file itself is usually adequate.

      My local office supply store is selling 512MB flash disks for under 10
      USD -- that takes care of the free space problem completely. And for that
      kind of price, you don't even have to worry about turning off swapping to
      reduce wear on the external flash device!

      Mike (mwester)