RAMFS vs TMPFS on Debian

  • bloedmann999
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2007
      I have an unslung v5.5 that runs with /dev and /var on a ramfs so that
      the drive spins down. Now I am playing with a new debian slug. I see
      that it has TMPFS configured. If I understand correctly that is just
      about the same as RAMFS.
      So, what would be the correct way to implement moving /dev and /var
      into ram on debian so that the disk can spin down there? Exactly the
      same way as on unslung, or should it be done with TMPFS?

      Cheers Brian
    • Adam Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2007
        bloedmann999 <Brian_Dorling@...> writes:

        > I have an unslung v5.5 that runs with /dev and /var on a ramfs so that
        > the drive spins down. Now I am playing with a new debian slug. I see
        > that it has TMPFS configured. If I understand correctly that is just
        > about the same as RAMFS.
        > So, what would be the correct way to implement moving /dev and /var
        > into ram on debian so that the disk can spin down there? Exactly the
        > same way as on unslung, or should it be done with TMPFS?

        The primary difference between tmpfs and ramfs is in their use of swap. Data in
        tmpfs can be swapped out, data in ramfs can't. If you have got swap enabled then
        it probably makes sense to use tmpfs. If your workload is light enough that you
        can manage without swap even after the ramdisk has stolen some memory then use
        ramfs.