Re: [nslu2-linux] Debian install always fails

  • Gordon Farquharson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 4, 2007
      Hi Mark

      On 7/4/07, mark801512 <mmarquee@...> wrote:

      > I am trying to install Debian using the instructions posted at
      > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html. The install always
      > fails when formatting the memory stick I have connected (it is 8GB).
      > Does this happen to anyone else, and if so, how can I get around it?

      You need to provide a little more information, like where in the
      installation the installer fails.

      My guess, based on your setup is that it fails when partitioning. If
      so, are you using partman in the guided partitioning mode? My guess is
      that you are not, and if so, could you try the default guided
      partition scheme (all mounts on one partition). Also, if the install
      is failing during partitioning, could you post the partition scheme
      you are trying to use.

      Gordon

      --
      Gordon Farquharson
      GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 5, 2007
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
        <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mark
        >
        > On 7/4/07, mark801512 <mmarquee@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I am trying to install Debian using the instructions posted at
        > > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html. The install always
        > > fails when formatting the memory stick I have connected (it is 8GB).
        > > Does this happen to anyone else, and if so, how can I get around it?
        >
        > You need to provide a little more information, like where in the
        > installation the installer fails.
        >
        > My guess, based on your setup is that it fails when partitioning. If
        > so, are you using partman in the guided partitioning mode? My guess is
        > that you are not, and if so, could you try the default guided
        > partition scheme (all mounts on one partition). Also, if the install
        > is failing during partitioning, could you post the partition scheme
        > you are trying to use.
        >
        > Gordon
        >
        > --
        > Gordon Farquharson
        > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

        Hi,

        Thanks for the help.

        Its doesn't seem to work if I use guided (which creates a very small
        swap) or manual setup. I am trying to create a 512MB swap and a ext3
        filesystem that files the rest of the 8GB stick.

        I can post exact details when tonite.

        Mark H
      • bloedmann999
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 5, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
          > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Mark
          > >
          > > On 7/4/07, mark801512 <mmarquee@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > I am trying to install Debian using the instructions posted at
          > > > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html. The install always
          > > > fails when formatting the memory stick I have connected (it is
          8GB).
          > > > Does this happen to anyone else, and if so, how can I get
          around it?

          > > You need to provide a little more information, like where in the
          > > installation the installer fails.
          > >
          > > My guess, based on your setup is that it fails when partitioning. If
          > > so, are you using partman in the guided partitioning mode? My guess is
          > > that you are not, and if so, could you try the default guided
          > > partition scheme (all mounts on one partition). Also, if the install
          > > is failing during partitioning, could you post the partition scheme
          > > you are trying to use.
          > >
          > > Gordon
          > >
          > > --
          > > Gordon Farquharson
          > > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
          > >

          > Hi,
          >
          > Thanks for the help.
          >
          > Its doesn't seem to work if I use guided (which creates a very small
          > swap) or manual setup. I am trying to create a 512MB swap and a ext3
          > filesystem that files the rest of the 8GB stick.
          >
          > I can post exact details when tonite.
          >
          > Mark H

          When mine kept dying, during partitioning, I couldn't get past it. So
          I partitioned the drive on a Kanotix PC and formatted the partitions
          to EXT3 and swap. Then started the reinstall again, when it got to the
          partitioning questions,I did the mount point bits and saved the data
          to the drive etc., then I hit the "back" button and then just went
          through all the options in the installer window, install base system,
          create users etc. So apart from setting the mount points I bypassed
          the partitioner.

          It went perfectly then.

          Cheers Brian
        • bloedmann999
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5, 2007
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
            > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Mark

            > 8GB).
            > around it?
            > > >
            > > > You need to provide a little more information, like where in the
            > > > installation the installer fails.
            > > >
            > > > My guess, based on your setup is that it fails when partitioning. If
            > > > so, are you using partman in the guided partitioning mode? My
            guess is
            > > > that you are not, and if so, could you try the default guided
            > > > partition scheme (all mounts on one partition). Also, if the install
            > > > is failing during partitioning, could you post the partition scheme
            > > > you are trying to use.
            > > >
            > > > Gordon
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > Gordon Farquharson
            > > > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
            > > >

            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Thanks for the help.
            > >
            > > Its doesn't seem to work if I use guided (which creates a very small
            > > swap) or manual setup. I am trying to create a 512MB swap and a ext3
            > > filesystem that files the rest of the 8GB stick.
            > >
            > > I can post exact details when tonite.
            > >
            > > Mark H
            > >
            > When mine kept dying, during partitioning, I couldn't get past it. So
            > I partitioned the drive on a Kanotix PC and formatted the partitions
            > to EXT3 and swap. Then started the reinstall again, when it got to the
            > partitioning questions,I did the mount point bits and saved the data
            > to the drive etc., then I hit the "back" button and then just went
            > through all the options in the installer window, install base system,
            > create users etc. So apart from setting the mount points I bypassed
            > the partitioner.
            >
            > It went perfectly then.
            >
            > Cheers Brian

            Forgot to say, my swap was too small at 32MB to generate the UTF8
            locales, so later on I added a 100MB swap in a file.
            Cheers Brian
          • mark801512
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5, 2007
              wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
              > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Mark

              > 8GB).
              > around it?
              > > >
              > > > You need to provide a little more information, like where in the
              > > > installation the installer fails.
              > > >
              > > > My guess, based on your setup is that it fails when partitioning. If
              > > > so, are you using partman in the guided partitioning mode? My
              guess is
              > > > that you are not, and if so, could you try the default guided
              > > > partition scheme (all mounts on one partition). Also, if the install
              > > > is failing during partitioning, could you post the partition scheme
              > > > you are trying to use.
              > > >
              > > > Gordon
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > Gordon Farquharson
              > > > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
              > > >

              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Thanks for the help.
              > >
              > > Its doesn't seem to work if I use guided (which creates a very small
              > > swap) or manual setup. I am trying to create a 512MB swap and a ext3
              > > filesystem that files the rest of the 8GB stick.
              > >
              > > I can post exact details when tonite.
              > >
              > > Mark H
              > >
              > When mine kept dying, during partitioning, I couldn't get past it. So
              > I partitioned the drive on a Kanotix PC and formatted the partitions
              > to EXT3 and swap. Then started the reinstall again, when it got to the
              > partitioning questions,I did the mount point bits and saved the data
              > to the drive etc., then I hit the "back" button and then just went
              > through all the options in the installer window, install base system,
              > create users etc. So apart from setting the mount points I bypassed
              > the partitioner.
              >
              > It went perfectly then.
              >
              > Cheers Brian

              Thanks, I have been trying that now. I have setup and formatted the
              partitioning scheme again, only via my PC, and so not using the
              partitioning in the installer apart to setup the mount point for the
              root file system. However, I know get an error in the installer that
              it cannot mount the swap partition.

              I'm now going to sleep on it!

              Thanks again to everyone, I'm sure I am doing something stupid somewhere

              Mark H
            • bloedmann999
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 6, 2007
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@...> wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"

                > always
                > > 8GB).
                > > around it?

                > guess is

                > > > Hi,
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for the help.
                > > >
                > > > Its doesn't seem to work if I use guided (which creates a very small
                > > > swap) or manual setup. I am trying to create a 512MB swap and a ext3
                > > > filesystem that files the rest of the 8GB stick.
                > > >
                > > > I can post exact details when tonite.
                > > >
                > > > Mark H
                > > >
                > > When mine kept dying, during partitioning, I couldn't get past it. So
                > > I partitioned the drive on a Kanotix PC and formatted the partitions
                > > to EXT3 and swap. Then started the reinstall again, when it got to the
                > > partitioning questions,I did the mount point bits and saved the data
                > > to the drive etc., then I hit the "back" button and then just went
                > > through all the options in the installer window, install base system,
                > > create users etc. So apart from setting the mount points I bypassed
                > > the partitioner.
                > >
                > > It went perfectly then.
                > >
                > > Cheers Brian
                > >

                > Thanks, I have been trying that now. I have setup and formatted the
                > partitioning scheme again, only via my PC, and so not using the
                > partitioning in the installer apart to setup the mount point for the
                > root file system. However, I know get an error in the installer that
                > it cannot mount the swap partition.
                >
                > I'm now going to sleep on it!
                >
                > Thanks again to everyone, I'm sure I am doing something stupid somewhere
                >
                > Mark H

                Check the archives. I'm sure there is something written about errors
                happening if swap is on a primary partition. Mine has:
                EXT3 on /dev/sda1
                extended on /dev/sda2
                Swap on /dev/sda5

                That works Ok for me.
                Cheers Brian
              • mark801512
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 6, 2007
                  wrote:

                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>
                  > > wrote:

                  > > always
                  > > > 8GB).
                  > > > around it?

                  > partitioning. If
                  > > guess is
                  > install
                  > scheme

                  > > > When mine kept dying, during partitioning, I couldn't get past
                  it. So
                  > > > I partitioned the drive on a Kanotix PC and formatted the partitions
                  > > > to EXT3 and swap. Then started the reinstall again, when it got
                  to the
                  > > > partitioning questions,I did the mount point bits and saved the data
                  > > > to the drive etc., then I hit the "back" button and then just went
                  > > > through all the options in the installer window, install base
                  system,
                  > > > create users etc. So apart from setting the mount points I bypassed
                  > > > the partitioner.
                  > > >
                  > > > It went perfectly then.
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers Brian
                  > > >

                  > > Thanks, I have been trying that now. I have setup and formatted the
                  > > partitioning scheme again, only via my PC, and so not using the
                  > > partitioning in the installer apart to setup the mount point for the
                  > > root file system. However, I know get an error in the installer that
                  > > it cannot mount the swap partition.
                  > >
                  > > I'm now going to sleep on it!
                  > >
                  > > Thanks again to everyone, I'm sure I am doing something stupid
                  somewhere

                  > > Mark H
                  > >
                  > Check the archives. I'm sure there is something written about errors
                  > happening if swap is on a primary partition. Mine has:
                  > EXT3 on /dev/sda1
                  > extended on /dev/sda2
                  > Swap on /dev/sda5
                  >
                  > That works Ok for me.
                  > Cheers Brian

                  Brian

                  Super, that did it.

                  I have now got further than previous and it is downloading/installing
                  the base system.

                  Thanks again.

                  Mark H
                • mark801512
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 16, 2007
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@...> wrote:

                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>

                    > posted at
                    > > > always
                    > (it is

                    > > partitioning. If
                    > > > guess is
                    > > install
                    > > scheme

                    > small
                    > a ext3

                    > it. So
                    > to the
                    > system,

                    > > > Thanks, I have been trying that now. I have setup and formatted the
                    > > > partitioning scheme again, only via my PC, and so not using the
                    > > > partitioning in the installer apart to setup the mount point for the
                    > > > root file system. However, I know get an error in the installer that
                    > > > it cannot mount the swap partition.
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm now going to sleep on it!
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks again to everyone, I'm sure I am doing something stupid
                    > somewhere
                    > > >
                    > > > Mark H
                    > > >
                    > > Check the archives. I'm sure there is something written about errors
                    > > happening if swap is on a primary partition. Mine has:
                    > > EXT3 on /dev/sda1
                    > > extended on /dev/sda2
                    > > Swap on /dev/sda5
                    > >
                    > > That works Ok for me.
                    > > Cheers Brian
                    > >

                    > Brian
                    >
                    > Super, that did it.
                    >
                    > I have now got further than previous and it is downloading/installing
                    > the base system.
                    >
                    > Thanks again.
                    >
                    > Mark H

                    I have got passed the above problem - actually by using a USB disk
                    drive, I now get to install the system, but get this at the end ..

                    Installation step failed :

                    Blah blah ..

                    The failing step is: Configure flash memory to boot the system

                    Any ideas ?

                    Thanks in advance

                    Cheers

                    Mark H
                  • mark801512
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 16, 2007
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@...> wrote:

                      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>
                      > > wrote:

                      > > posted at
                      > install
                      > > (it is

                      > in the

                      > > > partitioning. If
                      > > > install
                      > > > scheme

                      > > small
                      > > a ext3

                      > > it. So
                      > partitions
                      > > to the
                      > the data
                      > > system,
                      > bypassed

                      > > somewhere

                      > > > Check the archives. I'm sure there is something written about errors
                      > > > happening if swap is on a primary partition. Mine has:
                      > > > EXT3 on /dev/sda1
                      > > > extended on /dev/sda2
                      > > > Swap on /dev/sda5
                      > > >
                      > > > That works Ok for me.
                      > > > Cheers Brian
                      > > >

                      > > Brian
                      > >
                      > > Super, that did it.
                      > >
                      > > I have now got further than previous and it is downloading/installing
                      > > the base system.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks again.
                      > >
                      > > Mark H
                      > >

                      > I have got passed the above problem - actually by using a USB disk
                      > drive, I now get to install the system, but get this at the end ..
                      >
                      > Installation step failed :
                      >
                      > Blah blah ..
                      >
                      > The failing step is: Configure flash memory to boot the system
                      >
                      > Any ideas ?
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Mark H

                      I have just looked in the syslog on the machine, and this is the error ...

                      apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel

                      Looks pretty final!

                      Anyone got any ideas ?
                    • Martin Michlmayr
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 16, 2007
                        * mark801512 <mmarquee@...> [2007-07-16 18:34]:
                        > I have just looked in the syslog on the machine, and this is the error ...
                        >
                        > apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
                        >
                        > Looks pretty final!
                        >
                        > Anyone got any ideas ?

                        Can you send me the syslog file in private mail?
                        --
                        Martin Michlmayr
                        http://www.cyrius.com/
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 18, 2007
                          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                          > * mark801512 <mmarquee@...> [2007-07-16 18:34]:
                          > > I have just looked in the syslog on the machine, and this is the
                          error ...

                          > > apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
                          > >
                          > > Looks pretty final!
                          > >
                          > > Anyone got any ideas ?
                          >
                          > Can you send me the syslog file in private mail?
                          > --
                          > Martin Michlmayr
                          > http://www.cyrius.com/

                          I actually got so frustrated that I unslung the nslu instead, this
                          worked first time, no problems!

                          Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help

                          Mark H
                        • Mark Overholser Jr
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 18, 2007
                            I was having an issue with it formatting my 500GB WD MyBook while installing Debian this past weekend. To get around it I used someone else's tip that I found on the wiki- I plugged it into one of my other Linux boxes and created a large swap (256MB) at the end and formatted that, then created an ext3 that took up the rest and formatted that. Then I did manual partitions and set the ext3 to / and the swap area to be used as a swap area and told it not to format the ext3 partition. That worked out for me, it's up and running now.