Debian install always fails

  • mark801512
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 4 1:35 PM
      Hi

      I am trying to install Debian using the instructions posted at
      http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html. The install always
      fails when formatting the memory stick I have connected (it is 8GB).
      Does this happen to anyone else, and if so, how can I get around it?

      Thanks in advance

      Mark H
    • Gordon Farquharson
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 4 9:33 PM
        Hi Mark

        On 7/4/07, mark801512 <mmarquee@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to install Debian using the instructions posted at
        > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html. The install always
        > fails when formatting the memory stick I have connected (it is 8GB).
        > Does this happen to anyone else, and if so, how can I get around it?

        You need to provide a little more information, like where in the
        installation the installer fails.

        My guess, based on your setup is that it fails when partitioning. If
        so, are you using partman in the guided partitioning mode? My guess is
        that you are not, and if so, could you try the default guided
        partition scheme (all mounts on one partition). Also, if the install
        is failing during partitioning, could you post the partition scheme
        you are trying to use.

        Gordon

        --
        Gordon Farquharson
        GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 5 4:07 AM
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
          <gordonfarquharson@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mark
          >
          > On 7/4/07, mark801512 <mmarquee@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I am trying to install Debian using the instructions posted at
          > > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html. The install always
          > > fails when formatting the memory stick I have connected (it is 8GB).
          > > Does this happen to anyone else, and if so, how can I get around it?
          >
          > You need to provide a little more information, like where in the
          > installation the installer fails.
          >
          > My guess, based on your setup is that it fails when partitioning. If
          > so, are you using partman in the guided partitioning mode? My guess is
          > that you are not, and if so, could you try the default guided
          > partition scheme (all mounts on one partition). Also, if the install
          > is failing during partitioning, could you post the partition scheme
          > you are trying to use.
          >
          > Gordon
          >
          > --
          > Gordon Farquharson
          > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676

          Hi,

          Thanks for the help.

          Its doesn't seem to work if I use guided (which creates a very small
          swap) or manual setup. I am trying to create a 512MB swap and a ext3
          filesystem that files the rest of the 8GB stick.

          I can post exact details when tonite.

          Mark H
        • bloedmann999
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5 12:30 PM
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
            > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Mark
            > >
            > > On 7/4/07, mark801512 <mmarquee@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > I am trying to install Debian using the instructions posted at
            > > > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html. The install always
            > > > fails when formatting the memory stick I have connected (it is
            8GB).
            > > > Does this happen to anyone else, and if so, how can I get
            around it?

            > > You need to provide a little more information, like where in the
            > > installation the installer fails.
            > >
            > > My guess, based on your setup is that it fails when partitioning. If
            > > so, are you using partman in the guided partitioning mode? My guess is
            > > that you are not, and if so, could you try the default guided
            > > partition scheme (all mounts on one partition). Also, if the install
            > > is failing during partitioning, could you post the partition scheme
            > > you are trying to use.
            > >
            > > Gordon
            > >
            > > --
            > > Gordon Farquharson
            > > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
            > >

            > Hi,
            >
            > Thanks for the help.
            >
            > Its doesn't seem to work if I use guided (which creates a very small
            > swap) or manual setup. I am trying to create a 512MB swap and a ext3
            > filesystem that files the rest of the 8GB stick.
            >
            > I can post exact details when tonite.
            >
            > Mark H

            When mine kept dying, during partitioning, I couldn't get past it. So
            I partitioned the drive on a Kanotix PC and formatted the partitions
            to EXT3 and swap. Then started the reinstall again, when it got to the
            partitioning questions,I did the mount point bits and saved the data
            to the drive etc., then I hit the "back" button and then just went
            through all the options in the installer window, install base system,
            create users etc. So apart from setting the mount points I bypassed
            the partitioner.

            It went perfectly then.

            Cheers Brian
          • bloedmann999
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5 12:32 PM
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
              > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Mark

              > 8GB).
              > around it?
              > > >
              > > > You need to provide a little more information, like where in the
              > > > installation the installer fails.
              > > >
              > > > My guess, based on your setup is that it fails when partitioning. If
              > > > so, are you using partman in the guided partitioning mode? My
              guess is
              > > > that you are not, and if so, could you try the default guided
              > > > partition scheme (all mounts on one partition). Also, if the install
              > > > is failing during partitioning, could you post the partition scheme
              > > > you are trying to use.
              > > >
              > > > Gordon
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > Gordon Farquharson
              > > > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
              > > >

              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Thanks for the help.
              > >
              > > Its doesn't seem to work if I use guided (which creates a very small
              > > swap) or manual setup. I am trying to create a 512MB swap and a ext3
              > > filesystem that files the rest of the 8GB stick.
              > >
              > > I can post exact details when tonite.
              > >
              > > Mark H
              > >
              > When mine kept dying, during partitioning, I couldn't get past it. So
              > I partitioned the drive on a Kanotix PC and formatted the partitions
              > to EXT3 and swap. Then started the reinstall again, when it got to the
              > partitioning questions,I did the mount point bits and saved the data
              > to the drive etc., then I hit the "back" button and then just went
              > through all the options in the installer window, install base system,
              > create users etc. So apart from setting the mount points I bypassed
              > the partitioner.
              >
              > It went perfectly then.
              >
              > Cheers Brian

              Forgot to say, my swap was too small at 32MB to generate the UTF8
              locales, so later on I added a 100MB swap in a file.
              Cheers Brian
            • mark801512
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 5 1:09 PM
                wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"
                > > <gordonfarquharson@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Mark

                > 8GB).
                > around it?
                > > >
                > > > You need to provide a little more information, like where in the
                > > > installation the installer fails.
                > > >
                > > > My guess, based on your setup is that it fails when partitioning. If
                > > > so, are you using partman in the guided partitioning mode? My
                guess is
                > > > that you are not, and if so, could you try the default guided
                > > > partition scheme (all mounts on one partition). Also, if the install
                > > > is failing during partitioning, could you post the partition scheme
                > > > you are trying to use.
                > > >
                > > > Gordon
                > > >
                > > > --
                > > > Gordon Farquharson
                > > > GnuPG Key ID: 32D6D676
                > > >

                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > Thanks for the help.
                > >
                > > Its doesn't seem to work if I use guided (which creates a very small
                > > swap) or manual setup. I am trying to create a 512MB swap and a ext3
                > > filesystem that files the rest of the 8GB stick.
                > >
                > > I can post exact details when tonite.
                > >
                > > Mark H
                > >
                > When mine kept dying, during partitioning, I couldn't get past it. So
                > I partitioned the drive on a Kanotix PC and formatted the partitions
                > to EXT3 and swap. Then started the reinstall again, when it got to the
                > partitioning questions,I did the mount point bits and saved the data
                > to the drive etc., then I hit the "back" button and then just went
                > through all the options in the installer window, install base system,
                > create users etc. So apart from setting the mount points I bypassed
                > the partitioner.
                >
                > It went perfectly then.
                >
                > Cheers Brian

                Thanks, I have been trying that now. I have setup and formatted the
                partitioning scheme again, only via my PC, and so not using the
                partitioning in the installer apart to setup the mount point for the
                root file system. However, I know get an error in the installer that
                it cannot mount the swap partition.

                I'm now going to sleep on it!

                Thanks again to everyone, I'm sure I am doing something stupid somewhere

                Mark H
              • bloedmann999
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 6 5:10 AM
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@...> wrote:

                  > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Farquharson"

                  > always
                  > > 8GB).
                  > > around it?

                  > guess is

                  > > > Hi,
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks for the help.
                  > > >
                  > > > Its doesn't seem to work if I use guided (which creates a very small
                  > > > swap) or manual setup. I am trying to create a 512MB swap and a ext3
                  > > > filesystem that files the rest of the 8GB stick.
                  > > >
                  > > > I can post exact details when tonite.
                  > > >
                  > > > Mark H
                  > > >
                  > > When mine kept dying, during partitioning, I couldn't get past it. So
                  > > I partitioned the drive on a Kanotix PC and formatted the partitions
                  > > to EXT3 and swap. Then started the reinstall again, when it got to the
                  > > partitioning questions,I did the mount point bits and saved the data
                  > > to the drive etc., then I hit the "back" button and then just went
                  > > through all the options in the installer window, install base system,
                  > > create users etc. So apart from setting the mount points I bypassed
                  > > the partitioner.
                  > >
                  > > It went perfectly then.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers Brian
                  > >

                  > Thanks, I have been trying that now. I have setup and formatted the
                  > partitioning scheme again, only via my PC, and so not using the
                  > partitioning in the installer apart to setup the mount point for the
                  > root file system. However, I know get an error in the installer that
                  > it cannot mount the swap partition.
                  >
                  > I'm now going to sleep on it!
                  >
                  > Thanks again to everyone, I'm sure I am doing something stupid somewhere
                  >
                  > Mark H

                  Check the archives. I'm sure there is something written about errors
                  happening if swap is on a primary partition. Mine has:
                  EXT3 on /dev/sda1
                  extended on /dev/sda2
                  Swap on /dev/sda5

                  That works Ok for me.
                  Cheers Brian
                • mark801512
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 6 1:29 PM
                    wrote:

                    > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>
                    > > wrote:

                    > > always
                    > > > 8GB).
                    > > > around it?

                    > partitioning. If
                    > > guess is
                    > install
                    > scheme

                    > > > When mine kept dying, during partitioning, I couldn't get past
                    it. So
                    > > > I partitioned the drive on a Kanotix PC and formatted the partitions
                    > > > to EXT3 and swap. Then started the reinstall again, when it got
                    to the
                    > > > partitioning questions,I did the mount point bits and saved the data
                    > > > to the drive etc., then I hit the "back" button and then just went
                    > > > through all the options in the installer window, install base
                    system,
                    > > > create users etc. So apart from setting the mount points I bypassed
                    > > > the partitioner.
                    > > >
                    > > > It went perfectly then.
                    > > >
                    > > > Cheers Brian
                    > > >

                    > > Thanks, I have been trying that now. I have setup and formatted the
                    > > partitioning scheme again, only via my PC, and so not using the
                    > > partitioning in the installer apart to setup the mount point for the
                    > > root file system. However, I know get an error in the installer that
                    > > it cannot mount the swap partition.
                    > >
                    > > I'm now going to sleep on it!
                    > >
                    > > Thanks again to everyone, I'm sure I am doing something stupid
                    somewhere

                    > > Mark H
                    > >
                    > Check the archives. I'm sure there is something written about errors
                    > happening if swap is on a primary partition. Mine has:
                    > EXT3 on /dev/sda1
                    > extended on /dev/sda2
                    > Swap on /dev/sda5
                    >
                    > That works Ok for me.
                    > Cheers Brian

                    Brian

                    Super, that did it.

                    I have now got further than previous and it is downloading/installing
                    the base system.

                    Thanks again.

                    Mark H
                  • mark801512
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 16 10:57 AM
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@...> wrote:

                      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>

                      > posted at
                      > > > always
                      > (it is

                      > > partitioning. If
                      > > > guess is
                      > > install
                      > > scheme

                      > small
                      > a ext3

                      > it. So
                      > to the
                      > system,

                      > > > Thanks, I have been trying that now. I have setup and formatted the
                      > > > partitioning scheme again, only via my PC, and so not using the
                      > > > partitioning in the installer apart to setup the mount point for the
                      > > > root file system. However, I know get an error in the installer that
                      > > > it cannot mount the swap partition.
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm now going to sleep on it!
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks again to everyone, I'm sure I am doing something stupid
                      > somewhere
                      > > >
                      > > > Mark H
                      > > >
                      > > Check the archives. I'm sure there is something written about errors
                      > > happening if swap is on a primary partition. Mine has:
                      > > EXT3 on /dev/sda1
                      > > extended on /dev/sda2
                      > > Swap on /dev/sda5
                      > >
                      > > That works Ok for me.
                      > > Cheers Brian
                      > >

                      > Brian
                      >
                      > Super, that did it.
                      >
                      > I have now got further than previous and it is downloading/installing
                      > the base system.
                      >
                      > Thanks again.
                      >
                      > Mark H

                      I have got passed the above problem - actually by using a USB disk
                      drive, I now get to install the system, but get this at the end ..

                      Installation step failed :

                      Blah blah ..

                      The failing step is: Configure flash memory to boot the system

                      Any ideas ?

                      Thanks in advance

                      Cheers

                      Mark H
                    • mark801512
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 16 11:34 AM
                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@...> wrote:

                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "mark801512" <mmarquee@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999" <Brian_Dorling@>
                        > > wrote:

                        > > posted at
                        > install
                        > > (it is

                        > in the

                        > > > partitioning. If
                        > > > install
                        > > > scheme

                        > > small
                        > > a ext3

                        > > it. So
                        > partitions
                        > > to the
                        > the data
                        > > system,
                        > bypassed

                        > > somewhere

                        > > > Check the archives. I'm sure there is something written about errors
                        > > > happening if swap is on a primary partition. Mine has:
                        > > > EXT3 on /dev/sda1
                        > > > extended on /dev/sda2
                        > > > Swap on /dev/sda5
                        > > >
                        > > > That works Ok for me.
                        > > > Cheers Brian
                        > > >

                        > > Brian
                        > >
                        > > Super, that did it.
                        > >
                        > > I have now got further than previous and it is downloading/installing
                        > > the base system.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks again.
                        > >
                        > > Mark H
                        > >

                        > I have got passed the above problem - actually by using a USB disk
                        > drive, I now get to install the system, but get this at the end ..
                        >
                        > Installation step failed :
                        >
                        > Blah blah ..
                        >
                        > The failing step is: Configure flash memory to boot the system
                        >
                        > Any ideas ?
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        >
                        > Mark H

                        I have just looked in the syslog on the machine, and this is the error ...

                        apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel

                        Looks pretty final!

                        Anyone got any ideas ?
                      • Martin Michlmayr
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 16 11:46 AM
                          * mark801512 <mmarquee@...> [2007-07-16 18:34]:
                          > I have just looked in the syslog on the machine, and this is the error ...
                          >
                          > apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
                          >
                          > Looks pretty final!
                          >
                          > Anyone got any ideas ?

                          Can you send me the syslog file in private mail?
                          --
                          Martin Michlmayr
                          http://www.cyrius.com/
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 18 9:13 AM
                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                            > * mark801512 <mmarquee@...> [2007-07-16 18:34]:
                            > > I have just looked in the syslog on the machine, and this is the
                            error ...

                            > > apt-install: Couldn't find package flash-kernel
                            > >
                            > > Looks pretty final!
                            > >
                            > > Anyone got any ideas ?
                            >
                            > Can you send me the syslog file in private mail?
                            > --
                            > Martin Michlmayr
                            > http://www.cyrius.com/

                            I actually got so frustrated that I unslung the nslu instead, this
                            worked first time, no problems!

                            Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help

                            Mark H
                          • Mark Overholser Jr
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 18 9:47 AM
                              I was having an issue with it formatting my 500GB WD MyBook while installing Debian this past weekend. To get around it I used someone else's tip that I found on the wiki- I plugged it into one of my other Linux boxes and created a large swap (256MB) at the end and formatted that, then created an ext3 that took up the rest and formatted that. Then I did manual partitions and set the ext3 to / and the swap area to be used as a swap area and told it not to format the ext3 partition. That worked out for me, it's up and running now.