Backup solution, What´s recomended?

  • Juan A Cubillo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2007
      Hello group,

      This is my first post on the list :)
      I´ve had a slug for quite a few time, but it´s just been a couple days since I entered this list.

      I recently bought a 320GB drive for my slug, so now I´m thinking on doing a backup solution for the computers I have in my house. Right now there are 3 PCs (windows & linux) and I´d like to make this as automated and invisible as possible.
      What is the best route to follow? Rsync? Are there any backup solution software that may work with the slug?

      BTW, Right now I´m running SlugOS/LE 3.10 Beta on top of a turboslug...

      Regards,

      Juan Cubillo
      CostaRican Slugger!

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...
      http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
    • bloedmann999
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2007
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Juan A Cubillo
        <jacubilloro2000@...> wrote:

        > Hello group,
        >
        > This is my first post on the list :)
        > I´ve had a slug for quite a few time, but it´s just been a couple
        days since I entered this list.

        > I recently bought a 320GB drive for my slug, so now I´m thinking on
        doing a backup solution for the computers I have in my house. Right
        now there are 3 PCs (windows & linux) and I´d like to make this as
        automated and invisible as possible.
        > What is the best route to follow? Rsync? Are there any backup
        solution software that may work with the slug?

        > BTW, Right now I´m running SlugOS/LE 3.10 Beta on top of a turboslug...
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Juan Cubillo
        > CostaRican Slugger!

        > Bored stiff? Loosen up...
        > http://games.yahoo.com/games/front

        Look up Dirvish. It uses rsync, I think its a kind of Perl wrapper
        around rsync. I have Linux boxes and Windows XP boxes that it backs up
        automatically, if they are switched on.
        Uses hard links to conserve space if the file has not changed.
        Free, and it works.

        Cheers Brian
      • Michael Homscheidt
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2007
          > Hello group,
          >
          > I recently bought a 320GB drive for my slug, so now I´m thinking on doing a backup solution for the computers I have in my house. Right now there are 3 PCs (windows & linux) and I´d like to make this as automated and invisible as possible.
          > What is the best route to follow? Rsync? Are there any backup solution software that may work with the slug?

          Hi,

          I'm using rsnapshot.It's a perl wrapper around rsync. Basically rsnapshot/rsync works with Unix
          hardlinks for file which have not changed since the last backup.

          Easy to configure a reliable.

          Regards
          Michael.

          Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
          Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
          Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
          Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
          Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
          Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

          CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

          This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
          If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
          It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.