Newsgroup access

  • Nickolas Pitney
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4, 2007
      Hello,

      I've just purchased a slug and its on its way to me.
      I have no experience with linux but would like the device to handle all of
      my newsgroup downloads.
      So that i can download in non-peak times without leaving my PC on.

      What's the best way of going about this?
      i.e. which firnware/OS, which client? any other tips?

      thanks!

      The next generation of Hotmail is here! http://www.newhotmail.co.uk/
    • Phil Endecott
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
        Nickolas Pitney wrote:
        > I've just purchased a slug and its on its way to me.
        > I have no experience with linux but would like the device to handle all of
        > my newsgroup downloads.
        > So that i can download in non-peak times without leaving my PC on.
        >
        > What's the best way of going about this?
        > i.e. which firnware/OS, which client? any other tips?

        Get yourself one of the "live" Linux CDs and experiment on your PC.
        When you have something that works, try to set it up on your Slug. If
        you use a Debian-like Live CD and install Debian on your Slug, the
        available packages will be the same.

        Good luck,

        Phil.
      • greenbeast
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
          Good plan, thankyou

          Phil Endecott-18 wrote:

          > Nickolas Pitney wrote:
          >> I've just purchased a slug and its on its way to me.
          >> I have no experience with linux but would like the device to handle all
          >> of
          >> my newsgroup downloads.
          >> So that i can download in non-peak times without leaving my PC on.
          >>
          >> What's the best way of going about this?
          >> i.e. which firnware/OS, which client? any other tips?
          >
          > Get yourself one of the "live" Linux CDs and experiment on your PC.
          > When you have something that works, try to set it up on your Slug. If
          > you use a Debian-like Live CD and install Debian on your Slug, the
          > available packages will be the same.
          >

          > Good luck,
          >
          > Phil.

        • greenbeast
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
            with newsgroup access being so 'visual', as you need to see massive lists of
            files to choose downloads, how do you go about using such a thing on a
            device with no visual output?

            i've installed debian on a virtual machine and i am experimenting, i haven't
            got far yet apart from learning some commands, i just can't see how it will
            work for newsgroup downloads

            thanks for any insight

            Phil Endecott-18 wrote:

            > Nickolas Pitney wrote:
            >> I've just purchased a slug and its on its way to me.
            >> I have no experience with linux but would like the device to handle all
            >> of
            >> my newsgroup downloads.
            >> So that i can download in non-peak times without leaving my PC on.
            >>
            >> What's the best way of going about this?
            >> i.e. which firnware/OS, which client? any other tips?
            >
            > Get yourself one of the "live" Linux CDs and experiment on your PC.
            > When you have something that works, try to set it up on your Slug. If
            > you use a Debian-like Live CD and install Debian on your Slug, the
            > available packages will be the same.
            >

            > Good luck,
            >
            > Phil.

          • greenbeast
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007

              Phil Endecott-18 wrote:

              > Nickolas Pitney wrote:
              >> I've just purchased a slug and its on its way to me.
              >> I have no experience with linux but would like the device to handle all
              >> of
              >> my newsgroup downloads.
              >> So that i can download in non-peak times without leaving my PC on.
              >>
              >> What's the best way of going about this?
              >> i.e. which firnware/OS, which client? any other tips?
              >
              > Get yourself one of the "live" Linux CDs and experiment on your PC.
              > When you have something that works, try to set it up on your Slug. If
              > you use a Debian-like Live CD and install Debian on your Slug, the
              > available packages will be the same.
              >

              > Good luck,
              >
              > Phil.

            • Phil Endecott
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10, 2007
                n_pitney@... wrote:
                > with newsgroup access being so 'visual', as you need to see massive lists of
                > files to choose downloads, how do you go about using such a thing on a
                > device with no visual output?

                Using a PC as the user interface.

                Hopefully someone who is using their Slug for NNTP will be able to
                comment on this; I have never done it. But I think that what you need
                is leafnode, http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/ :

                "Leafnode will automatically figure which newsgroups are read locally
                and will download them, and it will stop downloading from these
                newsgroups if they haven't been read locally."

                You run leafnode on your Slug, and any newsreader on your PC. The PC
                newsreader connects to Leafnode, and if it has already downloaded the
                article, you get a copy from its disk. If it hasn't downloaded it, it
                fetches it at that time, and "learns" that in future it should download
                from that group.

                But if what you want is more precise selection of individual articles,
                then perhaps this isn't the best approach.

                > i've installed debian on a virtual machine and i am experimenting

                Excellent. Since there have not been many replies here I guess not
                many people are doing NNTP. So you may prefer to ask on e.g. the
                Leafnode list.

                Regards,

                Phil.
              • greenbeast
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 12, 2007
                  Thanks for the tip, i just had a look at the site and it states:

                  It has a mode to optionally download only headers in a first run, lets the
                  user mark these through his newsreader (note that not all newsreaders will
                  work) and download the full article texts in the next run.

                  So effectively it will download headers from my chosen newsgroups and then
                  when i choose which binaries i want it'll then download those in the next
                  run?
                  Am i reading this correctly?
                  I use newsgroups solely for binary downloads you see