best torrent client for unslung?

  • lvm404
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2007
      One of the reasons I've bought the nslu2 was to run a torrent client.
      There are four clients available in the stable feed - ctorrrent,
      enhanced-ctorrent, rtorrent and py-torrent. My first choice was
      rtorrent because ctorrent looks a bit too austere for my liking and I
      suspected py-torrent to be a cpu hog. I've installed rtorrent 0.7.4
      from the stable feed and immediately ran into problems. Setting
      throttles (upload_rate/download_rate) to anything other than 0 causes
      rtorrent ro terminate with 'illegal instruction' message. Ok, there
      another way to do it - 'schedule=set_throttle,0,0,upload_rate=xxx' -
      and it works. But as soon as throttles are set download rate drops
      down to about 2KB/sec (yes, *two*) - event when only upload limit is
      set and download rate is not limited at all (BTW I am so keen on
      setting upload limit not because I am mean or something but because my
      crappy ISP runs a really low contention ratio, so a sustained upload
      at anything greater than half of the bandwidth I am supposed to get
      causes a massive ATM congestion and everything crawls to a halt). I've
      tried toying with throttle rates from the UI with asdzxc keys and it
      is got even weirder - when throttle rates are being changed transfer
      rates start to grow but as soon as I stop tapping the keys everything
      slows down again. Here I ran out of tricks and decided to run rtorrent
      with no throttles and restrict bandwidth at the router - fortunately I
      can do it (WRT54GL with tomato firmware - great stuff). rtorrent
      master UI screen is not firing on all cylinders either - file size,
      uploaded and downloaded amounts in torrent information lines are
      always zero even though it somehow manages to calculate a (I hope)
      correct download percentage. Upload/download ratio also is alway
      zero, I wonder whether it will be able to stop torrents on ratio... On
      the positive side it works and cpu and memory usages are quite low.

      Is rtorrent really that buggy or someone just did a mighty careless
      porting job? Googling convinced me of the latter - some of the
      problems I mentioned above are discussed only in nslu2 forums - and
      sadly no solutions provided. And by the way, rtorrent comes with a
      startup/shutdown script which depends on dtach - but only root can use
      dtach on unslung, all other users get init_pty error. Oh, there's
      always screen.

      So I am not happy with the rtorrent and looking for something else -
      finally, the question: what torrent client is the best for unslung
      6.8? I am looking for something with a reasonably friendly interface -
      text or web - where I can see all the torrents and performance
      indicators at a glance and maybe start/stop torrents and do some
      ajustments and yet which will not overload the little slug (we are
      talking about 2mbits and, say, 10-20 active torrents). Have anyone
      tried BTG or btpd?
    • Brian Zhou
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2007
        FYI, rtorrent.ipk from optware/slugosbe feed works perfectly on
        slugosbe. This is from the same rtorrent/libtorrent build recipe. The
        problem is mainly from the particular glibc version used by Linksys.
        Rtorrent also works very well on debian slug.

        I can run dtach as normal user just fine on unslung (5.5). Can you try?
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DS101/MorePTYS

        -Brian Zhou

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lvm404" <lvm404@...> wrote:

        > One of the reasons I've bought the nslu2 was to run a torrent client.
        > There are four clients available in the stable feed - ctorrrent,
        > enhanced-ctorrent, rtorrent and py-torrent. My first choice was
        > rtorrent because ctorrent looks a bit too austere for my liking and I
        > suspected py-torrent to be a cpu hog. I've installed rtorrent 0.7.4
        > from the stable feed and immediately ran into problems. Setting
        > throttles (upload_rate/download_rate) to anything other than 0 causes
        > rtorrent ro terminate with 'illegal instruction' message. Ok, there
        > another way to do it - 'schedule=set_throttle,0,0,upload_rate=xxx' -
        > and it works. But as soon as throttles are set download rate drops
        > down to about 2KB/sec (yes, *two*) - event when only upload limit is
        > set and download rate is not limited at all (BTW I am so keen on
        > setting upload limit not because I am mean or something but because my
        > crappy ISP runs a really low contention ratio, so a sustained upload
        > at anything greater than half of the bandwidth I am supposed to get
        > causes a massive ATM congestion and everything crawls to a halt). I've
        > tried toying with throttle rates from the UI with asdzxc keys and it
        > is got even weirder - when throttle rates are being changed transfer
        > rates start to grow but as soon as I stop tapping the keys everything
        > slows down again. Here I ran out of tricks and decided to run rtorrent
        > with no throttles and restrict bandwidth at the router - fortunately I
        > can do it (WRT54GL with tomato firmware - great stuff). rtorrent
        > master UI screen is not firing on all cylinders either - file size,
        > uploaded and downloaded amounts in torrent information lines are
        > always zero even though it somehow manages to calculate a (I hope)
        > correct download percentage. Upload/download ratio also is alway
        > zero, I wonder whether it will be able to stop torrents on ratio... On
        > the positive side it works and cpu and memory usages are quite low.
        >
        > Is rtorrent really that buggy or someone just did a mighty careless
        > porting job? Googling convinced me of the latter - some of the
        > problems I mentioned above are discussed only in nslu2 forums - and
        > sadly no solutions provided. And by the way, rtorrent comes with a
        > startup/shutdown script which depends on dtach - but only root can use
        > dtach on unslung, all other users get init_pty error. Oh, there's
        > always screen.
        >
        > So I am not happy with the rtorrent and looking for something else -
        > finally, the question: what torrent client is the best for unslung
        > 6.8? I am looking for something with a reasonably friendly interface -
        > text or web - where I can see all the torrents and performance
        > indicators at a glance and maybe start/stop torrents and do some
        > ajustments and yet which will not overload the little slug (we are
        > talking about 2mbits and, say, 10-20 active torrents). Have anyone
        > tried BTG or btpd?

      • Brandon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "lvm404" <lvm404@...> wrote:

          > One of the reasons I've bought the nslu2 was to run a torrent client.
          > There are four clients available in the stable feed - ctorrrent,
          > enhanced-ctorrent, rtorrent and py-torrent. My first choice was
          > rtorrent because ctorrent looks a bit too austere for my liking and I
          > suspected py-torrent to be a cpu hog. I've installed rtorrent 0.7.4
          > from the stable feed and immediately ran into problems. Setting
          > throttles (upload_rate/download_rate) to anything other than 0 causes
          > rtorrent ro terminate with 'illegal instruction' message. Ok, there
          > another way to do it - 'schedule=set_throttle,0,0,upload_rate=xxx' -
          > and it works. But as soon as throttles are set download rate drops
          > down to about 2KB/sec (yes, *two*) - event when only upload limit is
          > set and download rate is not limited at all (BTW I am so keen on
          > setting upload limit not because I am mean or something but because my
          > crappy ISP runs a really low contention ratio, so a sustained upload
          > at anything greater than half of the bandwidth I am supposed to get
          > causes a massive ATM congestion and everything crawls to a halt). I've
          > tried toying with throttle rates from the UI with asdzxc keys and it
          > is got even weirder - when throttle rates are being changed transfer
          > rates start to grow but as soon as I stop tapping the keys everything
          > slows down again. Here I ran out of tricks and decided to run rtorrent
          > with no throttles and restrict bandwidth at the router - fortunately I
          > can do it (WRT54GL with tomato firmware - great stuff). rtorrent
          > master UI screen is not firing on all cylinders either - file size,
          > uploaded and downloaded amounts in torrent information lines are
          > always zero even though it somehow manages to calculate a (I hope)
          > correct download percentage. Upload/download ratio also is alway
          > zero, I wonder whether it will be able to stop torrents on ratio... On
          > the positive side it works and cpu and memory usages are quite low.
          >
          > Is rtorrent really that buggy or someone just did a mighty careless
          > porting job? Googling convinced me of the latter - some of the
          > problems I mentioned above are discussed only in nslu2 forums - and
          > sadly no solutions provided. And by the way, rtorrent comes with a
          > startup/shutdown script which depends on dtach - but only root can use
          > dtach on unslung, all other users get init_pty error. Oh, there's
          > always screen.
          >
          > So I am not happy with the rtorrent and looking for something else -
          > finally, the question: what torrent client is the best for unslung
          > 6.8? I am looking for something with a reasonably friendly interface -
          > text or web - where I can see all the torrents and performance
          > indicators at a glance and maybe start/stop torrents and do some
          > ajustments and yet which will not overload the little slug (we are
          > talking about 2mbits and, say, 10-20 active torrents). Have anyone
          > tried BTG or btpd?

          I have been running the enhanced-cTorrent with CTCS for 2-3 months now
          without a problem. It works great with a script I found on this
          group. I have the script set to run a cron job. Search this group for
          torrent script and you should be able to find it.

          Brandon