Need help on Spin-Down the HD on NSLU2

  • key50001
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2007
      I'm new to NSLU2 and I just finish upgrade the firmware to UNLSUG. All
      I want for now is to Spin-down the hard drive when it not in use. I
      follow all the step from different method but still can not get it
      spind down. I always receive the error durring the Spin-down
      configuration.

      Could anyone please help me to set up and configure the NSLU2 with Spin
      down option.

      Please provide for me the step-by-step to config it because I'm so dump
      with Unix.

      Thanks in advance.
      KEY
    • key50001

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "key50001" <key50001@...> wrote:

          > I'm new to NSLU2 and I just finish upgrade the firmware to UNLSUG. All
          > I want for now is to Spin-down the hard drive when it not in use. I
          > follow all the step from different method but still can not get it
          > spind down. I always receive the error durring the Spin-down
          > configuration.
          >
          > Could anyone please help me to set up and configure the NSLU2 with Spin
          > down option.
          >
          > Please provide for me the step-by-step to config it because I'm so dump
          > with Unix.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          > KEY

          Well,

          have you moved /dev and /var to ramfs?

          Tried stopping all unneccessary processes. Dont have syslog-ng
          running, dont have cron continually doing things.
          Remounted your drives, ../conf and ../data, with noatime?

          It worked for me, but I have a drive that spins itself down. That
          means it does not need a command from linux to make it spin down.

          Does your external drive have a spin-down feature? If so, test it
          under windows to see if it really works. Do you need to take the IDE
          drive out and install it in a PC to use ATA commands to set the drive
          spin down? If so, will it keep those settings through a power off?
          pretty easy to test that.

          What error messages do you get? Before I had everything right I didn't
          get any error messages, it just didn't spin down.

          Cheers Brian
        • key vu
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
            Hello Brian,

            Thanks for your answer.

            I'm using NetDisk enclosure from http://www.ximeta.com/products/ndenclosure1_en.php with 40GB Seagate HD (for now).

            In the Spin-Down instruction from Nslu2-linux website, it does not ask to move the file or folder at all.  After spend more than a week to configure the spind down but I have no luck.

            Brian, would you please post for me the detail step-by-step to configure the Spin-down option.

            Best regard,
            KEY

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2007
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, key vu <key50001@...> wrote:

              > Hello Brian,
              >
              > Thanks for your answer.
              >
              > I'm using NetDisk enclosure from
              http://www.ximeta.com/products/ndenclosure1_en.php with 40GB Seagate
              HD (for now).

              > In the Spin-Down instruction from Nslu2-linux website, it does not
              ask to move the file or folder at all. After spend more than a week
              to configure the spind down but I have no luck.

              > Brian, would you please post for me the detail step-by-step to
              configure the Spin-down option.

              > Best regard,
              > KEY

              updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

              Hey,

              here's how I did it:

              <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48223/*http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow>

              > (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
              Key,

              I'll try (you can find all the details on the NSLU site):

              1. Can you get the disk to spin down under windows? Is there a utility
              to set the spin-down time?

              2. If not take the disk out of the enclosure, connect it directly to
              one of your IDE channels and follow one of the many instructions for
              setting spin-down via ATA commands. Set a very short interval, it
              makes testing easier.
              If you now can get it to spin down, then check that the spin down
              settings are kept when the drive has been powered off completely.

              If none of the above works then that decides what you do next:

              If it doesn't work, then you will need to try sending spin-down
              commands from Unslung to the disk. That may or may not work depending
              on your USB-IDE adapter in the USB enclosure.

              If it does spin-down under linux, either via its own settings, or via
              a command then do the following to stop it continually being spun-up
              again:

              1. in /unslung/rc.bootbin:

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.bootbin Creating ramfs for /dev:"
              /bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=128

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.bootbin Copying /dev"
              /bin/cp -rp /dev/* /mnt/tmpmnt/

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.bootbin Mkdir /dev.state"
              /bin/mkdir -p /dev.state

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.bootbin Mount /dev.state"
              /bin/mount -o bind /dev /dev.state

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.bootbin Mount /dev"
              /bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /dev

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.bootbin Creating ramfs for /var:"
              /bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=256

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.bootbin Copying /var"
              /bin/cp -rp /var/* /mnt/tmpmnt/

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.bootbin Mkdir /var.state"
              /bin/mkdir -p /var.state

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.bootbin Mount /var.state"
              /bin/mount -o bind /var /var.state

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.bootbin Mount /var"
              /bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /var

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.bootbin Cleanup /var.state/log/"
              rm /var.state/log/*

              /bin/killall -9 syslogd
              /bin/killall -HUP syslog-ng
              /bin/sleep 3

              /bin/killall -HUP klogd
              /bin/sleep 3

              P.S. Ignore all the logger commands if you dont want syslog entries to
              see what is going on. As the /var/log has moved, syslog or syslog-ng
              and klogd need to be recycled to get them logging in the new
              /var/log/messages location.

              Now your syslog is on a ram disk and will be lost at reboot, therefore
              part of my shutdown/reboot script copies them from there to disk
              before shutting down.
              Something like this:

              /sbin/logger "/unslung/rc.reboot saving logs then rebooting"

              # Move logs sent from DD-WRT to syslog server from RAMFS to disk

              cat /var/log/syslogs/DD-WRT/cron >> /public/syslogs/DD-WRT/cron.log
              cat /var/log/syslogs/DD-WRT/daemon >> /public/syslogs/DD-WRT/daemon.log
              cat /var/log/syslogs/DD-WRT/syslog >> /public/syslogs/DD-WRT/syslog.log
              cat /var/log/syslogs/DD-WRT/user >> /public/syslogs/DD-WRT/user.log
              cat /var/log/syslogs/DD-WRT/authpriv >>
              /public/syslogs/DD-WRT/authpriv.log

              # Move slug logs from RAMFS to disk

              cat /var/log/samba/log.nmbd >> /public/syslogs/slug1/samba/log.nmbd
              cat /var/log/samba/log.smbd >> /public/syslogs/slug1/samba/log.smbd

              cat /var/log/auth.log >> /public/syslogs/slug1/auth.log
              cat /var/log/cron.log >> /public/syslogs/slug1/cron.log
              cat /var/log/daemon.log >> /public/syslogs/slug1/daemon.log
              cat /var/log/debug >> /public/syslogs/slug1/debug
              cat /var/log/kern.log >> /public/syslogs/slug1/kern.log
              cat /var/log/messages >> /public/syslogs/slug1/messages
              cat /var/log/server.log >> /public/syslogs/slug1/server.log
              cat /var/log/syslog >> /public/syslogs/slug1/syslog
              cat /var/log/user.log >> /public/syslogs/slug1/user.log
              cat /var/log/uucp.log >> /public/syslogs/slug1/uucp.log

              Now you need to remount the drives with noatime, the wiki explains why.
              In /opt/etc/init.d:

              #!/bin/sh
              # /opt/etc/init.d/S00remount

              #set -x

              # A diversion script to remount the disks without access times being
              recorded
              /sbin/logger "/opt/etc/init.d/S00remount Starting"
              /sbin/logger "/opt/etc/init.d/S00remount Remounting /dev/sda1 with
              noatime:"
              /bin/mount -o remount,rw,noatime /dev/sda1
              /sbin/logger "/opt/etc/init.d/S00remount Remounting /dev/sda2 with
              noatime:"
              /bin/mount -o remount,rw,noatime /dev/sda2
              /sbin/logger "/opt/etc/init.d/S00remount Done"

              After a mount command you see this:

              /dev/sda1 on /share/hdd/data type ext3 (rw,noatime)
              /dev/sda2 on /share/hdd/conf type ext3 (rw,noatime)

              WIth that done spin-down works for me, and the drive stays down. You
              need to do it on a minimal system though. And since I have installed
              syslog-ng it does not spin-down anymore. I'm playing with a second
              slug now to find out why, maybe the conf file of syslog-ng also needs
              to go on the ramfs.
              I also set my cron to do all clean ups etc once a day, to get the time
              with NTP at the same time etc., so I had one spin up every 24 hours if
              nothing else was in use.
            • inet2xtreme
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999"

                ______________
                > > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
                > updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
                > > http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow
                > >
                > Hey,
                >
                > here's how I did it:
                >
                > key vu wrote:
                > > Hello Brian,
                > >
                > > Thanks for your answer.
                > >
                > > I'm using NetDisk enclosure
                > > from http://www.ximeta.com/products/ndenclosure1_en.php with 40GB
                > > Seagate HD (for now).
                > >
                > > In the Spin-Down instruction from Nslu2-linux website, it does
                not ask
                > > to move the file or folder at all. After spend more than a week
                > > configure the spind down but I have no luck.
                > >
                > > Brian, would you please post for me the detail step-by-step to
                > configure
                > > the Spin-down option.
                > >

                > > Best regard,
                > > KEY

                I implemented the above steps on my slug, now it does not show up on
                the network any more. The one thing I added was making each of the
                two new script executable: "chmod +x init.d" for example.

                I'm not entirely sure how to recover it. I'm going to assume I
                unplug the USB drives, boot, login then plug them back in to edit the
                files. Maybe I'll give that a shot next.