Re: [nslu2-linux] NSLU2 bricked?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2007
      Scott Savarese wrote:
      > I think I bricked my NSLU2, but am hoping it can be salvaged before I
      > have to go out and pick up another one at the store...
      >
      > I reflashed it with openslug 3.10 and it did not come back up so I
      > tried again using the HowTo.ReflashUsingRedbootAndTFTP instructions
      > available on the wiki. It appeared to work, but now I can't seem to
      > access it anymore... I have an amber blinking light and a green
      > networking light. From what I understand the amber blinking light
      > means it isn't in a user runlevel (blinking means switching between
      > runlevels I think, right?). Did I completely kill it? If not, what is
      > the IP address of it so I can see if I can access it? I don't see it
      > on my network at all.
      >
      > Is there anything else I can try to reflash it again and maybe get it
      > to come back properly?

      Use the reset button upgrade method, and upslug2 or Sercomm, and reflash
      it with Linksys 2.3R63 firmware. If that works, then start again.

      The only reason why you ever need to get into RedBoot these days is to
      reset the SysConf partition. Everything else can be (and should be)
      done using the reset button upgrade method.

      -- Rod
    • Scott Savarese
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2007
        > Use the reset button upgrade method, and upslug2 or Sercomm, and reflash
        > it with Linksys 2.3R63 firmware. If that works, then start again.

        Hey Rod, thanks for the input... However I haven't been able to get it
        into upgrade mode via that method. The LED goes from solid yellow to
        blinking yellow after about 10 seconds. It never turns red.

        The only option I can think of is to try going to upgrade mode via
        redboot. Has anybody had success using upslug after getting into
        upgrade mode from redboot?

        Thanks,
        Scott
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2007
          Scott Savarese wrote:
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
          >> Use the reset button upgrade method, and upslug2 or Sercomm, and reflash
          >> it with Linksys 2.3R63 firmware. If that works, then start again.
          >
          > Hey Rod, thanks for the input... However I haven't been able to get it
          > into upgrade mode via that method. The LED goes from solid yellow to
          > blinking yellow after about 10 seconds. It never turns red.

          The reset button method is the most reliable method of entering upgrade
          mode. If it doesn't work, then there is a good chance that nothing else
          will work.

          However, if you are seeing changes in the LED patterns, then there is a
          very good chance that the reset button method will work, and you're just
          not getting the timing right.

          Remove power, hold in the reset button, keep it held in, apply power,
          keep the reset button held in until you see the first change on the
          ready/status LED - as soon as it changes state release the reset button.
          The ready/status LED will then go into a alternating red/green pattern
          (or if one of the LEDs is broken, or Linksys has changed the LED design,
          it might be some other two alternating colours) and you're in upgrade mode.

          -- Rod
        • mwester@dls.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2007
            Dim the ambient light, and look for an intensity change in the LED -- early NSLU2's had a very obvious change to red. Later units are reported by users to be far more subtle, described as more like orange than red, and more than one user has reported that they had to move the unit away from bright light sources such as exterior windows in order to see the change.

            However, to date, I know of no users that have attempted this method that have not been able, sooner or later, to discern that LED color change and enter upgrade mode.

            Mike (mwester)

            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
            > > Use the reset button upgrade method, and upslug2 or Sercomm, and reflash
            > > it with Linksys 2.3R63 firmware. If that works, then start again.
            >
            > Hey Rod, thanks for the input... However I haven't been able to get it
            > into upgrade mode via that method. The LED goes from solid yellow to
            > blinking yellow after about 10 seconds. It never turns red.
            >
            > The only option I can think of is to try going to upgrade mode via
            > redboot. Has anybody had success using upslug after getting into
            > upgrade mode from redboot?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Scott
          • elimn8ors
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 14, 2007

              I have just recently had to reinstate my NSLU2 through locking myself
              out - doh!

              Anyway, i wouldnt personnally say that the light flickers RED. When I
              had to reflash the brick, I found after several atttempts that the
              light flashed between GREEN and RED/ORANGE colour. I wouldnt say it
              was red, just look for the flashing with a definate change in the colour.

              If it helps I have windows and used the The Sercomm Update Utility. It
              basically looks for any slugs on the LAN and allows you to remotely
              flash its EEPROM with a new BIN. I simpy remotely flashed the unslung
              6.8 bin file and recovered. Obviously I had to re-format my external
              disk2 and reinstall all apps from scratch.

              PS:- if you do get locked out using the latest unslung and
              subsequently reflash... I found that the web-interface format tool is
              not sufficient since /sbin/run blah fails. I used windows to delete
              the partitions and then re-create new partition. Then I used the
              WEB-utils to format. All is good now. Hope it helps.

              ELIMN8OR

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, <mwester@...> wrote:

              > Dim the ambient light, and look for an intensity change in the LED
              -- early NSLU2's had a very obvious change to red. Later units are
              reported by users to be far more subtle, described as more like
              orange than red, and more than one user has reported that they had to
              move the unit away from bright light sources such as exterior windows
              in order to see the change.

              > However, to date, I know of no users that have attempted this method
              that have not been able, sooner or later, to discern that LED color
              change and enter upgrade mode.

              > Mike (mwester)
              >

              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@>
              wrote:
              > > > Use the reset button upgrade method, and upslug2 or Sercomm, and
              reflash
              > > > it with Linksys 2.3R63 firmware. If that works, then start again.
              > >
              > > Hey Rod, thanks for the input... However I haven't been able to get it
              > > into upgrade mode via that method. The LED goes from solid yellow to
              > > blinking yellow after about 10 seconds. It never turns red.
              > >
              > > The only option I can think of is to try going to upgrade mode via
              > > redboot. Has anybody had success using upslug after getting into
              > > upgrade mode from redboot?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Scott

            • Scott Savarese
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 14, 2007
                I was actually able to get it into upgrade mode but I had to use the
                redboot method... Its ugly, but the color of my led was not
                changing... Once in redboot issuing the upgrade command was easy and
                it worked as expected... The only problem is that when I went to run
                upslug to do the upgrade it didn't respond (output attached).

                I did try to compile and install upslug2 but I couldn't find an rpm
                with the binary and was getting a ton of errors compiling it. If
                anybody has a binary I can use, my host is running fedora core 5.

                Any suggestions?

                Thanks,
                Scott

                [root@server upslug]# ./upslug -u NSLU2_V23R72.bin
                Using eth0 to find slugs...
                Finding Slugs... 1 found
                1: 00:c0:02:01:01:02
                Choose your slug [1-1, 0 to abort]: 1
                VerControl = 0001
                DownControl = 0000
                Hid = 0470 3195 5810 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
                0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
                Hver = 0000
                ProdID = 0001
                ProtID = 0000
                FuncID = 0003
                Fver = 2363
                Cseg = 0000
                Csize = 0020
                Do you really want to upgrade the slug(y/n)? y

                Slug does not answer (EGAIN)
                Requesting upgrade...[root@server upslug]#