Re: [nslu2-linux] Disappearing share

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2007
      I think you've fallen victim to the problem outlined here:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/WhichUSBPortforUnslung6, second
      paragraph after Rule #1 is described.

      There's no good, easy fix, I'm afraid. The only thing I can suggest is that
      you reformat the new drive with a windows machine (basically, return it to a
      single-partition FAT or NTFS volume). Plug it into the NSLU2 with the 20GB
      drive, boot it up. You should see the shares and drives exactly as they
      always have been. Now format the new drive. See if the share is still
      present in the GUI. If so, do something to the configuration -- add another
      share, then delete it, or similar. There's a chance that doing so may cause
      the unit to rewrite the existing data over the newly-formatted conf
      partition that's hiding your original one.

      If that doesn't work, you can try to piece it together bit by bit. Boot up
      with the original drive. Login in to the system, and use tar to copy the
      contents of the conf partition (use the mount command to see where it's
      mounted) to a safe place on /public. Now plug in the second drive. Use the
      mount command again to see where the second drive is mounted, and use the
      tar command to extract the contents of the tar file you wrote away on
      /public and overwrite the incorrect data. Reboot. If this works, you're
      all set -- just remember that you are now dependent on both drives for your
      unit to run properly, if you remove either one, you'll be missing some vital
      bit of information. Also, note that if you do the tar procedure I described
      incorrectly, you may lose all your data on both drives -- use caution,
      double-check what you're doing at each step, and back up any data you would
      rather not lose.

      Mike (mwester)

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
        I followed your first suggestion and now see the shares that I had
        originally and the new shares that I created.

        How do I determine whether or not both drives are now necessary?
        Will the new disk have some additional files / folders on it?

        Thanks for the quick and thorough response to my original question.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>