Disappearing share

  • MTHEULE
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2007
      I have been using Unslung for about a year with a 20 GB HDD. I had
      created 1 share called 'media'.
      Today I plugged in an additional hdd into port 2 and rebooted the
      slug. When I looked at the shares, I saw Disk 1, Admin 1, Disk 1
      (Disk 2), Admin 1 (Disk 2). The 'media' share was gone. TwonkyMedia
      could still serve up the files, so they were still there, but the
      share was not visible.
      I unplugged the new drive and rebooted the slug. When it came back
      online with just the original drive, the share 'media' was visible.

      How do I keep the media share visible when I plug in the second drive?

      Thanks
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2007
        I think you've fallen victim to the problem outlined here:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/WhichUSBPortforUnslung6, second
        paragraph after Rule #1 is described.

        There's no good, easy fix, I'm afraid. The only thing I can suggest is that
        you reformat the new drive with a windows machine (basically, return it to a
        single-partition FAT or NTFS volume). Plug it into the NSLU2 with the 20GB
        drive, boot it up. You should see the shares and drives exactly as they
        always have been. Now format the new drive. See if the share is still
        present in the GUI. If so, do something to the configuration -- add another
        share, then delete it, or similar. There's a chance that doing so may cause
        the unit to rewrite the existing data over the newly-formatted conf
        partition that's hiding your original one.

        If that doesn't work, you can try to piece it together bit by bit. Boot up
        with the original drive. Login in to the system, and use tar to copy the
        contents of the conf partition (use the mount command to see where it's
        mounted) to a safe place on /public. Now plug in the second drive. Use the
        mount command again to see where the second drive is mounted, and use the
        tar command to extract the contents of the tar file you wrote away on
        /public and overwrite the incorrect data. Reboot. If this works, you're
        all set -- just remember that you are now dependent on both drives for your
        unit to run properly, if you remove either one, you'll be missing some vital
        bit of information. Also, note that if you do the tar procedure I described
        incorrectly, you may lose all your data on both drives -- use caution,
        double-check what you're doing at each step, and back up any data you would
        rather not lose.

        Mike (mwester)

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
          I followed your first suggestion and now see the shares that I had
          originally and the new shares that I created.

          How do I determine whether or not both drives are now necessary?
          Will the new disk have some additional files / folders on it?

          Thanks for the quick and thorough response to my original question.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>