Re: [nslu2-linux] Moving from Unslung to Debian...

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
      James wrote:
      > So my shiny new NSLU2 arrive today. I booted it up, played with the
      > stock firmware (v73) for a bit and then installed Unslung. That worked
      > fine but then I tried moving to Debian... that's where things got a bit
      > wierd. For some reason I can't reflash my slug no matter what I do.
      > Here's what happened.
      >
      > 1. Got the slug, unpacked it hooked it up and messed around with the
      > stock Linksys firmware. Neat, it works.

      Did you fully complete the network settings, including gateway and DNS
      settings? If not, Debian will not install.

      > 2. I checki the www.nslu2-linux.org site and decide to start with
      > Unslung. After lots of reading the Unslung howto docs etc, I nervously
      > install the image. I'm just using a 1GB flash drive so getting that
      > formatted and recognized is a bit funky but no major issues. The flash
      > and unsling work perfectly and everythings cool. I happily install
      > packages with ipkg. Lots of slug hugging ensues (it's a really cool
      > little machine).

      "Slug hugging" :-)

      > 3. OK on to Debian. Unslung is cool but I'll feel like a wuss if I
      > don't do a real install. I download the unofficial image with the
      > IXP4xx microcode drivers and run the upgrade from the Unslung/legacy
      > Linksys UI. I get a "Bad format or filename" message back from the web
      > ui.

      You can't use the web interface to upgrade from Unslung.

      > No big deal I'll try again... same thing. OK maybe it's something
      > with Unslung so I try to revert to Linksys firmware (v68 is all I can
      > find so I try that) same deal "Bad format or filename".

      You can't use the web interface to downgrade from Unslung.

      > Next I try
      > setting the slug to a private IP and accessing it via an isolated hub
      > in case there were notwork problems etc interfering with the flash
      > upgrade but it reverts to my original IP settings. OK, I'll try
      > Redboot... nu-uh it just boots up to the original IP. Picture lots of
      > head banging against a desk, cussing, etc...

      Did you try the recommended reflash method, which is the reset button
      upgrade mode and upslug2 or the SerComm windows upgrade tool?

      > I've tried all these post Unslung install flash upgrades with the usb
      > drive unplugged (the Unslung firmware running on built in flash) could
      > that be the problem? If so is there any way to get it pointing back to
      > the built in flash rather than looking for the USB drive and then going
      > into RO mode? Is there something else I'm missing?

      Yes: <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware>

      Use that procedure for any firmware installation.

      -- Rod
    • James
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
        Thanks guys, worked perfectly... /duh. Can't believe I missed that.
        The Debian install was incredibly smooth and is running quite nicely.

        Thanks again - James