Moving from Unslung to Debian...

  • James
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
      So my shiny new NSLU2 arrive today. I booted it up, played with the
      stock firmware (v73) for a bit and then installed Unslung. That worked
      fine but then I tried moving to Debian... that's where things got a bit
      wierd. For some reason I can't reflash my slug no matter what I do.
      Here's what happened.

      1. Got the slug, unpacked it hooked it up and messed around with the
      stock Linksys firmware. Neat, it works.

      2. I checki the www.nslu2-linux.org site and decide to start with
      Unslung. After lots of reading the Unslung howto docs etc, I nervously
      install the image. I'm just using a 1GB flash drive so getting that
      formatted and recognized is a bit funky but no major issues. The flash
      and unsling work perfectly and everythings cool. I happily install
      packages with ipkg. Lots of slug hugging ensues (it's a really cool
      little machine).

      3. OK on to Debian. Unslung is cool but I'll feel like a wuss if I
      don't do a real install. I download the unofficial image with the
      IXP4xx microcode drivers and run the upgrade from the Unslung/legacy
      Linksys UI. I get a "Bad format or filename" message back from the web
      ui. No big deal I'll try again... same thing. OK maybe it's something
      with Unslung so I try to revert to Linksys firmware (v68 is all I can
      find so I try that) same deal "Bad format or filename". Next I try
      setting the slug to a private IP and accessing it via an isolated hub
      in case there were notwork problems etc interfering with the flash
      upgrade but it reverts to my original IP settings. OK, I'll try
      Redboot... nu-uh it just boots up to the original IP. Picture lots of
      head banging against a desk, cussing, etc...

      I've tried all these post Unslung install flash upgrades with the usb
      drive unplugged (the Unslung firmware running on built in flash) could
      that be the problem? If so is there any way to get it pointing back to
      the built in flash rather than looking for the USB drive and then going
      into RO mode? Is there something else I'm missing?

      Thanks - James
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
        James wrote:
        > So my shiny new NSLU2 arrive today. I booted it up, played with the
        > stock firmware (v73) for a bit and then installed Unslung. That worked
        > fine but then I tried moving to Debian... that's where things got a bit
        > wierd. For some reason I can't reflash my slug no matter what I do.
        > Here's what happened.
        >
        > 1. Got the slug, unpacked it hooked it up and messed around with the
        > stock Linksys firmware. Neat, it works.

        Did you fully complete the network settings, including gateway and DNS
        settings? If not, Debian will not install.

        > 2. I checki the www.nslu2-linux.org site and decide to start with
        > Unslung. After lots of reading the Unslung howto docs etc, I nervously
        > install the image. I'm just using a 1GB flash drive so getting that
        > formatted and recognized is a bit funky but no major issues. The flash
        > and unsling work perfectly and everythings cool. I happily install
        > packages with ipkg. Lots of slug hugging ensues (it's a really cool
        > little machine).

        "Slug hugging" :-)

        > 3. OK on to Debian. Unslung is cool but I'll feel like a wuss if I
        > don't do a real install. I download the unofficial image with the
        > IXP4xx microcode drivers and run the upgrade from the Unslung/legacy
        > Linksys UI. I get a "Bad format or filename" message back from the web
        > ui.

        You can't use the web interface to upgrade from Unslung.

        > No big deal I'll try again... same thing. OK maybe it's something
        > with Unslung so I try to revert to Linksys firmware (v68 is all I can
        > find so I try that) same deal "Bad format or filename".

        You can't use the web interface to downgrade from Unslung.

        > Next I try
        > setting the slug to a private IP and accessing it via an isolated hub
        > in case there were notwork problems etc interfering with the flash
        > upgrade but it reverts to my original IP settings. OK, I'll try
        > Redboot... nu-uh it just boots up to the original IP. Picture lots of
        > head banging against a desk, cussing, etc...

        Did you try the recommended reflash method, which is the reset button
        upgrade mode and upslug2 or the SerComm windows upgrade tool?

        > I've tried all these post Unslung install flash upgrades with the usb
        > drive unplugged (the Unslung firmware running on built in flash) could
        > that be the problem? If so is there any way to get it pointing back to
        > the built in flash rather than looking for the USB drive and then going
        > into RO mode? Is there something else I'm missing?

        Yes: <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware>

        Use that procedure for any firmware installation.

        -- Rod
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
          The firmware upgrade web gui page was inadvertantly left in the Unslung
          image; as described here
          (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/KnownProblems). It doesn't work
          (was never supposed to). The preferred means to enter upgrade mode is the
          reset-button approach
          (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode).
          This technique is preferred in all cases -- it never fails. The number one
          problem people encounter with that technique is that they miss the window to
          release the reset button, because they fail to notice the LED color change.
          It is very, very subtle in recent hardware. Some folks have reported that
          reducing the ambient light was necessary.

          Feel free to update the appropriate wiki pages so that both of the issues
          you've encountered can be avoided by future "upgradees" :)

          Thanks,
          Mike (mwester)

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
            Thanks guys, worked perfectly... /duh. Can't believe I missed that.
            The Debian install was incredibly smooth and is running quite nicely.

            Thanks again - James