Re: Disk resize

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
      > - Move "middle" 128M partition to right in front of the "last"
      > - Expand "middle" 128M partition to 256M (I think this is the "os"
      > partition)
      > - Expand the "first" partition from 4.8G to 110G (or whatever was
      > available).

      > Why do I have 4.36G of data on a 110G partition but only 23M free -
      > did I miss a step somewhere?

      Normally you have to both (1) resize the partition and (2) resize the
      filesystem to fill the partition. It's possible that gparted is
      supposed to do both steps simultaneously for you, but what you're
      seeing is consistent with it not having resized the filesystem.

      (BTW, it also looks as if you've put the swap at the opposite end of
      the disk from the data with an empty gap in between. Disks take a long
      time to seek from one end of the disk to the other!)

      Phil.
    • JMVDWYM
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2007
        Phil,

        Thanks for the reply. So it looks like I need to run resize2fs - I
        think. I assume I shouldn't do this while my drive is "active" & on
        my Slug - which is good 'cause my slug doesn't seem to have
        resize2fs on it. :-)

        I'm actually a bit confused about the partition stuff. I didn't
        knowingly do anything other than my initial unslung to a 512 USB
        drive, then a move to 5G 2.5" drive (I don't recall what I used at
        the time), and now the move to the 120G.

        I always assumed one partition was for config/"OS", one for swap,
        and one for data. But it looks to me like I've got one for
        data/"OS", and one for config - with NOTHING for swap.

        What's the recommended setup for the NSLU2 (or even generic linux).
        Swap partition first? How big makes sense for a slug? Is it OK for
        everything non-swap to be on one partition? I don't really see the
        point of having a separate partition for a swap file if it's still
        on the same physical disk - how does it help?

        Looking forward to getting all my facts straight BEFORE jumping in
        again. :-)

        Thanks again for previous reply, and for any future ones!

        Jon-Mikel