Re: Disk resize

  • JMVDWYM
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
      Sorry - but I forgot to mention that I was trying to get used to using
      gparted (part of my linux "playing") and that's why I did NOT use the
      process suggested in:

      I asked the question above so that a) I can figure out where I went
      wrong and b) hopefuly not spend another 12 hours copying stuff around
      using the fsck and resize2fs process.

      Thanks again.

      Jon-Mikel
    • Phil Endecott
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
        > - Move "middle" 128M partition to right in front of the "last"
        > - Expand "middle" 128M partition to 256M (I think this is the "os"
        > partition)
        > - Expand the "first" partition from 4.8G to 110G (or whatever was
        > available).

        > Why do I have 4.36G of data on a 110G partition but only 23M free -
        > did I miss a step somewhere?

        Normally you have to both (1) resize the partition and (2) resize the
        filesystem to fill the partition. It's possible that gparted is
        supposed to do both steps simultaneously for you, but what you're
        seeing is consistent with it not having resized the filesystem.

        (BTW, it also looks as if you've put the swap at the opposite end of
        the disk from the data with an empty gap in between. Disks take a long
        time to seek from one end of the disk to the other!)

        Phil.
      • JMVDWYM
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2007
          Phil,

          Thanks for the reply. So it looks like I need to run resize2fs - I
          think. I assume I shouldn't do this while my drive is "active" & on
          my Slug - which is good 'cause my slug doesn't seem to have
          resize2fs on it. :-)

          I'm actually a bit confused about the partition stuff. I didn't
          knowingly do anything other than my initial unslung to a 512 USB
          drive, then a move to 5G 2.5" drive (I don't recall what I used at
          the time), and now the move to the 120G.

          I always assumed one partition was for config/"OS", one for swap,
          and one for data. But it looks to me like I've got one for
          data/"OS", and one for config - with NOTHING for swap.

          What's the recommended setup for the NSLU2 (or even generic linux).
          Swap partition first? How big makes sense for a slug? Is it OK for
          everything non-swap to be on one partition? I don't really see the
          point of having a separate partition for a swap file if it's still
          on the same physical disk - how does it help?

          Looking forward to getting all my facts straight BEFORE jumping in
          again. :-)

          Thanks again for previous reply, and for any future ones!

          Jon-Mikel