Re: Apache install error

  • Brian Zhou
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2007
      Thanks Mike for the detailed troubleshooting guide.

      I've added e2fsprogs to apache's DEPENDS list.
      apache_2.2.4-3_armeb.ipk should work.

      -Brian Zhou
    • tenere600_99
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        I am wondering what caused this problem ?
        My 2 co-workers which installed apache a few days earlier didn't need
        that extra dependency.

        Also an other weird stuff is that the "find" command is not found
        anymore after the apache install.

        Is there any way to get the ipk file before May 28 somehow and I
        would try installing that ?

        Thanks
        Christian

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Mike for the detailed troubleshooting guide.
        >
        > I've added e2fsprogs to apache's DEPENDS list.
        > apache_2.2.4-3_armeb.ipk should work.
        >
        > -Brian Zhou

      • tenere600_99
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
          BTW, I installed that package and now apache works but other stuff
          got broken, like mentioned earlier the "find" command is not found
          anymore.

          Where can I find the older version of the package ?
          My co-worker couldn't find the ipk files on their slug anywhere, I
          guess it's deleted after the install.

          Thanks

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>
          wrote:

          > This should be an easily solved problem, with a bit of digging.
          >
          > First, let me mention that the feeds get updated regularly,
          sometimes
          > because the "upstream" source code was updated, sometimes just
          because
          > someone asked that a new feature be enabled in a package, or that a
          bug be
          > addressed in a package. So it seems quite reasonable that Apache
          may have
          > changed. Normally, however, each package lists its dependencies on
          other
          > software, so that when you did the "ipkg install apache", the ipkg
          utility
          > should have checked to see that you had all the dependencies, and
          if you
          > were missing any, it should have fetched those and installed those
          as well.
          > So clearly there's a problem with the new package -- it lacks a
          dependency.
          > There's another possibility, which is that the missing package
          isn't really
          > missing -- it's present but just too old, and needs to be updated.
          >
          > In any case, in order to troubleshoot this, you first need to find
          out what
          > package it is that seems to be the problem. That's easy -- you
          just need
          > to find it (we've got the missing libary name: libuuid.so.1). Go
          to the
          > package search engine (the link is on the home page for
          > www.nslu2-linux.org), and search for the missing item. You can try
          the full
          > name of the missing item (libuuid.so.1), or just search for
          libuuid. You'll
          > come up blank unless you try searching on "File in package" -- that
          query
          > will list a whole page of info, listing all the feeds that contain
          that
          > file. The important item, though, is the middle column -- that's
          telling
          > you that the package that contains the missing file is "e2fsprogs".
          >
          > Mystery solved - apparently the new Apache package is missing the
          dependency
          > information that tells ipkg that it should also fetch "e2fsprogs".
          Just do
          > that manually (ipkg install e2fsprogs), then try to install Apache
          once
          > more. If it tells you that you already have e2fsprogs installed,
          then
          > perhaps it needs to be updated: try "ipkg upgrade e2fsprogs".
          >
          > Or, an alternate approach, would be to search the mailing list
          archives.
          > Someone had the same problem with the lighttpd web server package
          not more
          > than a few days ago. :-)
          >
          > Mike (mwester)

        • Brian Zhou
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
            The apache's new dependency on e2fsprogs is caused by:

            r5750 | bzhou | 2007-03-07 17:15:15 -0800 (Wed, 07 Mar 2007) | 1 line
            e2fsprogs: 1.38 -> 1.39; static lib -> shared lib

            When apache was rebuilt recently, it detects the existence of
            staging/opt/lib/libuuid.so.1 and builds with the assumption there is
            going to be a libuuid.so on the target system. Apache does not provide
            a way to turn off or turn static for libuuid, so this has to be a
            dependency for now. Ideally we should split e2fsprogs in two:
            e2fsprogs & libuuid, and apache only depends on libuuid - I'll try to
            do that when I find some time.

            On my unslung slug, /opt/bin/find is part of findutils. I don't think
            that problem has anything to do with the apache change.

            -Brian Zhou

            <Christian.Renninger@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > that
            > > file. The important item, though, is the middle column -- that's
            > telling
            > > you that the package that contains the missing file is "e2fsprogs".
            > >
            > > Mystery solved - apparently the new Apache package is missing the
            > dependency
            > > information that tells ipkg that it should also fetch "e2fsprogs".
            > Just do
            > > that manually (ipkg install e2fsprogs), then try to install Apache
            > once
            > > more. If it tells you that you already have e2fsprogs installed,
            > then
            > > perhaps it needs to be updated: try "ipkg upgrade e2fsprogs".
            > >
            > > Or, an alternate approach, would be to search the mailing list
            > archives.
            > > Someone had the same problem with the lighttpd web server package

          • tenere600_99
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
              Thanks,
              I really don't know what was going on with find but I tried 3 times
              with the Apache from May 28 and I had troubles with it.

              I just redid the whole process but now using the latest apache and
              it works fine now.

              So using the 2.4.4-3 seems fine