Enhanced-CTorrent, CTCS and the recent update

  • jl0242
    Message 1 of 14 , May 10, 2007
      I'm running enhanced-ctorrent and ctcs on my slug for automated
      torrent download (thanks fcarolo :)). However the recent ctcs update
      has caused the thing to go a little haywire.

      After an ipkg update & ipkg upgrade, ctcs was updated and it now seems
      to have it's download/upload speeds completely wrong.

      It reports download speeds like 60,000Kb/s and 480,000Kb/s (yes
      480Mb/s!). My absolute max download speed is normally around 200Kb/s
      (with an average more like 80-100Kb/s).

      Has anyone else experienced these problems? There doesn't seem to be
      any bugs mentioned on the ctcs homepage.

      Cheers,
      Joe.
    • Geoff Parker
      Message 2 of 14 , May 10, 2007
        Could it be the the CTCS author used the ',' character to separate the fractional part of the download rate vs. '.' as used by English speaking countries?   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_point

      • jl0242
        Message 3 of 14 , May 11, 2007
          Interesting idea :) Sorry, I added the , myself (to make the numbers
          clearer). There's no digit grouping character in the real numbers.

          I think the values are out by around a factor of 10,000 (so
          480,000Kb/s is actually 48Kb/s).

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Parker" <geoffhp@...> wrote:

          > Could it be the the CTCS author used the ',' character to separate the
          > fractional part of the download rate vs. '.' as used by English speaking
          > countries? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_point

        • Gabriel Schønau Hansen
          Message 4 of 14 , May 11, 2007

            I’ve already taken the liberty of sending a bug report to Dennis Holmes (creator of Enhanced CTorrent!) regarding this misrepresentation! I think it’s a trivial divisional error, or typo (K/s should be B/s as in Bytes per second). This makes CTCS render the rate with a factor of 1000!

            If u want to help Dennis debugging, start a download with ECT, press ‘v’ for enabling verbose mode, and enter operator mode by pressing ESC then 4 for Debug/verbose, and enter a filename for the logfile ( i used ‘ect_errorlog.log’). Let it spend some time downloading, then send the log file to Dennis!

            Cheers,

            Gabriel S. Hansen

            Message 5 of 14 , May 12, 2007

              This really is directed at Fernando Carolo:

              I am helping Dennis of Enhanced-CTorrent to track down representation errors of rates in ECT (+ CTCS)! Dennis suggested, that the problems in dnh3 might stem from something platform specific (eg. ARM-build-related)

              Fernando, could u please take a look at it, as Dennis doesn’t have a NSLU2 to test on himself, only a general Linux box!

              TIA,

              Gabriel S. Hansen

              Message 6 of 14 , May 13, 2007
                Also, is there any chance someone can roll back Enhanced CTorrent and
                CTCS (I thought it was only CTCS that got upgraded, but I could be
                wrong) in SVN until this is fixed?

                The previous version was stable and issue free, it's mainly
                enhancement work in the latest versions.

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel Schønau Hansen
                <gabriel@...> wrote:

                > This really is directed at Fernando Carolo:
                >
                > I am helping Dennis of Enhanced-CTorrent to track down
                representation errors
                > of rates in ECT (+ CTCS)! Dennis suggested, that the problems in
                dnh3 might
                > stem from something platform specific (eg. ARM-build-related)
                >
                > Fernando, could u please take a look at it, as Dennis doesn't have a
                NSLU2
                > to test on himself, only a general Linux box!
                >

                > TIA,
                >
                > Gabriel S. Hansen
                >
                > _____

              • Gabriel Schønau Hansen
                Message 7 of 14 , May 13, 2007

                  TBH, the new version is just as reliable, its just a flaky rate-representation teasing the ARM-build, i think! I have downloaded 10 torrents (still seeding 4) in the time since update, with no errors!

                  Really, this is up to the ARM/Unslung-maintainer, Fernando Carolo!

                  Cheers,

                  Gabriel

                  <gabriel@... > wrote:

                  > This really is directed at Fernando Carolo:
                  >
                  > I am helping Dennis of Enhanced-CTorrent to track down
                  representation errors
                  > of rates in ECT (+ CTCS)! Dennis suggested, that the problems in
                  dnh3 might
                  > stem from something platform specific (eg. ARM-build-related)
                  >
                  > Fernando, could u please take a look at it, as Dennis doesn't have a
                  NSLU2
                  > to test on himself, only a general Linux box!
                  >

                  > TIA,
                  >
                  > Gabriel S. Hansen
                  >
                  > _____

                • Fernando Carolo
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 15, 2007
                    Gabriel,

                    sorry for the delay, I was not able to check this during the last few
                    days. I'll take a look into it tonight and look for something that
                    could be specific to the arm build. Meanwhile, since this problem is
                    only related to the presentation of the rates, I won't roll back to
                    the previous version yet.

                    Thanks,

                    --
                    Fernando Carolo

                    <gabriel@...> wrote:

                    > TBH, the new version is just as reliable, its just a flaky
                    > rate-representation teasing the ARM-build, i think! I have downloaded 10
                    > torrents (still seeding 4) in the time since update, with no errors!
                    >
                    > Really, this is up to the ARM/Unslung-maintainer, Fernando Carolo!
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Gabriel
                  • LrdShaper
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 18, 2007

                      I've also been using CTCS and enhanced-ctorrent for downloading and its been
                      working great. With the recent update i'm also having misinterpretations on
                      the upload/download speed but another problem is that i always get 80+% cpu
                      usage whenever i start downloading a torrent. when i start 2 or more
                      torrents it goes to 100%. note that nothing else is running aside from the
                      default processes. i have overclocked my slug (successfully) because of this
                      but i still get the same results. is anyone else having this problem? how
                      can i rollback to the previous version?
                    • Fernando Carolo
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 22, 2007
                        On 5/18/07, LrdShaper <LrdShaper@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I've also been using CTCS and enhanced-ctorrent for downloading and its been
                        > working great. With the recent update i'm also having misinterpretations on
                        > the upload/download speed but another problem is that i always get 80+% cpu
                        > usage whenever i start downloading a torrent. when i start 2 or more
                        > torrents it goes to 100%. note that nothing else is running aside from the
                        > default processes. i have overclocked my slug (successfully) because of this
                        > but i still get the same results. is anyone else having this problem?

                        The reports we got so far say that the new version is working ok,
                        except for the display of bandwidth usage.

                        > how can i rollback to the previous version?

                        AFAIK, ipkg does not have an way to automatically install an older
                        version, so you'll have to download the previous version and install
                        it manually. First, get the previous version at
                        http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/enhanced-ctorrent_dnh2.2-6_armeb.ipk,
                        and after making sure that you are not running the program, uninstall
                        the current version and install the old one from the .ipk file:

                        ipkg remove enhanced-ctorrent
                        ipkg install enhanced-ctorrent_dnh2.2-6_armeb.ipk

                        Regards,

                        --
                        Fernando Carolo
                      • LrdShaper
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 23, 2007
                          Fernando Carolo wrote:

                          > The reports we got so far say that the new version is working ok,
                          > except for the display of bandwidth usage.

                          that's weird because that was the only thing i had changed before i started
                          having that problem

                          Fernando Carolo wrote:

                          > First, get the previous version at
                          > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/enhanced-ctorrent_dnh2.2-6_armeb.ipk,
                          > and after making sure that you are not running the program, uninstall
                          > the current version and install the old one from the .ipk file:
                          >
                          > ipkg remove enhanced-ctorrent
                          > ipkg install enhanced-ctorrent_dnh2.2-6_armeb.ipk

                          this didnt work, my slug is always downloading from the repository even if i
                          specify the the complete path where i placed the .ipk so i edited the file
                          /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/cross and change the ipk file in there to
                          enhanced-ctorrent_dnh2.2-6_armeb.ipk. successfully installed, will test if
                          its back to normal and reply back here. thanks
                        • jl0242
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 26, 2007
                            I don't know if this will help diagnose anything, but ctcs certainly
                            seems to be logging far more than it used to. See
                            http://pastebin.ca/511347 for my ctcs log, there seems to be a lot to
                            investigate in there.

                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Fernando Carolo" <carolo@...> wrote:

                            > Gabriel,
                            >
                            > sorry for the delay, I was not able to check this during the last few
                            > days. I'll take a look into it tonight and look for something that
                            > could be specific to the arm build. Meanwhile, since this problem is
                            > only related to the presentation of the rates, I won't roll back to
                            > the previous version yet.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > --
                            > Fernando Carolo
                            >
                            > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel Schønau Hansen
                            > <gabriel@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > TBH, the new version is just as reliable, its just a flaky
                            > > rate-representation teasing the ARM-build, i think! I have
                            downloaded 10
                            > > torrents (still seeding 4) in the time since update, with no errors!
                            > >
                            > > Really, this is up to the ARM/Unslung-maintainer, Fernando Carolo!
                            > >
                            > > Cheers,
                            > >
                            > > Gabriel

                          • Lars Jensen
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 1, 2007
                              Hi All,

                              I've been using ehanced-ctorrent and found it to work pretty well on my nslu2, however there's one annoying bug, the -U option doesn't seem to work, giving me an "Illegal Instruction" error when I try to use it.  Without this, I can't limit my upstream bandwidth, and using enhanced-ctorrent really slows down my Internet connection.

                              The version I am running is from the package enhanced-ctorrent_dnh3-8_arm.ipk, from here: http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.php?package=enhanced-ctorrent&id=8486666&official=

                              Am I using the latest version?  Or can anyone suggest a version that doesn't have this bug?

                              Cheers,
                              Larz

                              On 5/26/07, jl0242 < japher@...> wrote:

                              I don't know if this will help diagnose anything, but ctcs certainly
                              seems to be logging far more than it used to. See
                              http://pastebin.ca/511347 for my ctcs log, there seems to be a lot to
                              investigate in there.

                              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Fernando Carolo" <carolo@...> wrote:

                              > Gabriel,
                              >
                              > sorry for the delay, I was not able to check this during the last few
                              > days. I'll take a look into it tonight and look for something that
                              > could be specific to the arm build. Meanwhile, since this problem is
                              > only related to the presentation of the rates, I won't roll back to
                              > the previous version yet.
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              >
                              > --
                              > Fernando Carolo
                              >
                              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Gabriel Schønau Hansen
                              > <gabriel@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > TBH, the new version is just as reliable, its just a flaky
                              > > rate-representation teasing the ARM-build, i think! I have
                              downloaded 10
                              > > torrents (still seeding 4) in the time since update, with no errors!
                              > >
                              > > Really, this is up to the ARM/Unslung-maintainer, Fernando Carolo!
                              > >
                              > > Cheers,
                              > >
                              > > Gabriel

                            • LrdShaper
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 10 11:08 PM
                                LrdShaper wrote:

                                > this didnt work, my slug is always downloading from the repository even if
                                > i specify the the complete path where i placed the .ipk so i edited the
                                > file /usr/lib/ipkg/lists/cross and change the ipk file in there to
                                > enhanced-ctorrent_dnh2.2-6_armeb.ipk. successfully installed, will test if
                                > its back to normal and reply back here. thanks

                                just got back home yesterday from a series of deployment and would just like
                                to report that the problem was fixed when i switched back to dnh2.2-6. i saw
                                that there is again a newer version but i think i'll stick with dnh2.2-6 for
                                the time being. thanks a lot