Re: Slow lighttpd?

  • gaojian858
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2007
      Update:

      I am trying the "externally spawned PHP-FCGI" and I've got 500 server
      error. The error.log shows:

      2007-05-02 14:10:33: (log.c.75) server started
      2007-05-02 14:11:12: (mod_fastcgi.c.1711) connect failed: No such
      file or directory on unix:/tmp/php-fcgi.sock
      2007-05-02 14:11:12: (mod_fastcgi.c.2866) backend died, we disable it
      for a 5 seconds and send the request to another backend instead:
      reconnects: 0 load: 1
      2007-05-02 14:11:18: (mod_fastcgi.c.2684) fcgi-server re-enabled:
      unix:/tmp/php-fcgi.sock

      I checked that /tmp/ has permission of 777.

      Help please.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "gaojian858" <gaojian858@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, I just setup a blog site on my slug and I feel it's really
      slow.
      > Here is some details:
      >
      > 1. My slug running Unslung 6.8 at 266Mhz with a 2GB USB stick on
      port

      > 2. Asterisk14 is running perfectly. It use limited CPU when I
      monitor
      > with atop.
      >
      > 3. So I decided to try to add a web server for my personal blog. I
      > selected php-fcgi, lighttpd and Simple PHP Blog. Now the blog site
      is
      > up running but it's really slow. Generate a page will cost 2+ sec.
      > Sometime it took 8 sec to show. When I watch the CPU usage I can
      see
      > that sometime the lighttpd use 98% of the CPU power and sometime my
      > slug just went freeze.
      >
      > I am quite new for linux and I am not sure why this happened. Do
      you
      > have any advices? Please help. Thanks a lot.

    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2007
        In message <f1b1gd+eg9f@...>, gaojian858 <gaojian858@...>
        writes
        >Update:
        >
        >I am trying the "externally spawned PHP-FCGI" and I've got 500 server
        >error. The error.log shows:
        >
        >2007-05-02 14:10:33: (log.c.75) server started
        >2007-05-02 14:11:12: (mod_fastcgi.c.1711) connect failed: No such
        >file or directory on unix:/tmp/php-fcgi.sock
        >2007-05-02 14:11:12: (mod_fastcgi.c.2866) backend died, we disable it
        >for a 5 seconds and send the request to another backend instead:
        >reconnects: 0 load: 1
        >2007-05-02 14:11:18: (mod_fastcgi.c.2684) fcgi-server re-enabled:
        >unix:/tmp/php-fcgi.sock
        >
        >I checked that /tmp/ has permission of 777.

        My /tmp/ folder has 777.

        You can check if your externally spawned PHP-FCGI is running using the
        ps command. Mine shows the minimum three spawned processes, I have
        mine running as user www, I use this user also for Lighttpd (note that
        PHP-FCGI will not run as user root).

        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2007
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
          wrote:

          > In message <f1b1gd+eg9f@...>, gaojian858 <gaojian858@...>
          > writes
          > >Update:
          > >
          > >I am trying the "externally spawned PHP-FCGI" and I've got 500
          server
          > >error. The error.log shows:
          > >
          > >2007-05-02 14:10:33: (log.c.75) server started
          > >2007-05-02 14:11:12: (mod_fastcgi.c.1711) connect failed: No such
          > >file or directory on unix:/tmp/php-fcgi.sock
          > >2007-05-02 14:11:12: (mod_fastcgi.c.2866) backend died, we disable
          it
          > >for a 5 seconds and send the request to another backend instead:
          > >reconnects: 0 load: 1
          > >2007-05-02 14:11:18: (mod_fastcgi.c.2684) fcgi-server re-enabled:
          > >unix:/tmp/php-fcgi.sock
          > >
          > >I checked that /tmp/ has permission of 777.
          > >
          > My /tmp/ folder has 777.
          >
          > You can check if your externally spawned PHP-FCGI is running using
          the
          > ps command. Mine shows the minimum three spawned processes, I
          have
          > mine running as user www, I use this user also for Lighttpd (note
          that
          > PHP-FCGI will not run as user root).
          >

          > --
          > Robert Hammond
          > PGP:0x154144DA

          Hi, Robert, Thank you for the reply.

          When I installed PHP-FCGI as root. How can I force it running as user
          www? Also I created the user www at Linksys Webpage. Then I changed
          the ownership of the lighttpd dir, Is that ok?
        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2007
            In message <f1e3q1+kc2b@...>, gaojian858 <gaojian858@...>
            writes
            >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
            >wrote:
            >>
            >> In message <f1b1gd+eg9f@...>, gaojian858 <gaojian858@...>
            >> writes
            >> >Update:
            >> >
            >> >I am trying the "externally spawned PHP-FCGI" and I've got 500
            >server
            >> >error. The error.log shows:
            >> >
            >> >2007-05-02 14:10:33: (log.c.75) server started
            >> >2007-05-02 14:11:12: (mod_fastcgi.c.1711) connect failed: No such
            >> >file or directory on unix:/tmp/php-fcgi.sock
            >> >2007-05-02 14:11:12: (mod_fastcgi.c.2866) backend died, we disable
            >it
            >> >for a 5 seconds and send the request to another backend instead:
            >> >reconnects: 0 load: 1
            >> >2007-05-02 14:11:18: (mod_fastcgi.c.2684) fcgi-server re-enabled:
            >> >unix:/tmp/php-fcgi.sock
            >> >
            >> >I checked that /tmp/ has permission of 777.
            >> >
            >> My /tmp/ folder has 777.
            >>
            >> You can check if your externally spawned PHP-FCGI is running using
            >the
            >> ps command. Mine shows the minimum three spawned processes, I
            >have
            >> mine running as user www, I use this user also for Lighttpd (note
            >that
            >> PHP-FCGI will not run as user root).
            >>

            >> --
            >> Robert Hammond
            >> PGP:0x154144DA
            >>

            >Hi, Robert, Thank you for the reply.
            >
            >When I installed PHP-FCGI as root. How can I force it running as user
            >www? Also I created the user www at Linksys Webpage. Then I changed
            >the ownership of the lighttpd dir, Is that ok?

            The Linksys Web page is the correct way to create a user. I personally
            use a created user of 'www' with the default group 'everyone' but I
            think that many NSLU2 users run there web servers using the default user
            'nobody'.

            If using the externally spawned PHP-FCGI option, the user and group are
            set in the boot up script. See
            <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/DeployPHPWebAppUsingFastCGI>

            For lighttpd the user and group setting are located in
            /opt/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf

            Also there are notes on how to set the file permissions for your web
            pages to your chosen user and group on the wiki page
            <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver>

            With my NSLU2 over some years I have tried all of the different web
            server combinations and the lowest memory foot print seems to be
            lighttpd combined with an externally spawned PHP-FCGI. Unsure if this
            also is the quickest combination.

            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2007
              It really would be interesting to see a wiki page comparing web
              servers serving static and dynamic content.

              I know the following web servers can run on nslu2 and use PHP:

              * apache
              * appweb
              * cherokee
              * lighttpd
              * nginx
              * thttpd

              Ideally we would like to test both the memory footprint and performance.

              -Brian Zhou

              wrote:

              > In message <f1e3q1+kc2b@...>, gaojian858 <gaojian858@...>
              > writes
              > >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@>
              > >wrote:
              > >>
              > >> In message <f1b1gd+eg9f@>, gaojian858 <gaojian858@>
              > >> writes

              > >server

              > >it

              > >> My /tmp/ folder has 777.
              > >>
              > >> You can check if your externally spawned PHP-FCGI is running using
              > >the
              > >> ps command. Mine shows the minimum three spawned processes, I
              > >have
              > >> mine running as user www, I use this user also for Lighttpd (note
              > >that
              > >> PHP-FCGI will not run as user root).
              > >>

              > >> --
              > >> Robert Hammond
              > >> PGP:0x154144DA
              > >>

              > >Hi, Robert, Thank you for the reply.
              > >
              > >When I installed PHP-FCGI as root. How can I force it running as user
              > >www? Also I created the user www at Linksys Webpage. Then I changed
              > >the ownership of the lighttpd dir, Is that ok?
              > >
              > The Linksys Web page is the correct way to create a user. I
              personally
              > use a created user of 'www' with the default group 'everyone' but I
              > think that many NSLU2 users run there web servers using the default
              user
              > 'nobody'.
              >
              > If using the externally spawned PHP-FCGI option, the user and group are
              > set in the boot up script. See
              > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/DeployPHPWebAppUsingFastCGI>
              >
              > For lighttpd the user and group setting are located in
              > /opt/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
              >
              > Also there are notes on how to set the file permissions for your web
              > pages to your chosen user and group on the wiki page
              > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver>
              >
              > With my NSLU2 over some years I have tried all of the different web
              > server combinations and the lowest memory foot print seems to be
              > lighttpd combined with an externally spawned PHP-FCGI. Unsure if this
              > also is the quickest combination.
              >
              > --
              > Robert Hammond
              > PGP:0x154144DA

            • gaojian858
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2007
                Hello! Thank you for all your help.

                I tried to improve my slug's performance and stability. Here is what
                I found out:

                Remember I am running Asterisk14 and the lighttpd+fastCGI on the same
                slug with a 2GB USB stick?

                When I setup Asterisk14 few months ago, I created a file .ext3flash
                under root. This is a protection for the USB Stick to avoid
                frequently writing. But, this also locked up the swap partition on
                the stick. So when I put more software on the system, then the memory
                (32MB) become insufficient. So it started killing some of the
                processes, then the system goes slow or frozen!

                By removing this .ext3flash file, now Asterisk14 works fine along
                with lighttpd+fastCGI. Now generating a web page(Simple PHP Blog)
                will cost 3-4 sec on average.

                I really don't know how soon the USB Stick will goes dead. Now the
                LED on the stick is flashing almost constantly! Anyone have an idea?

                It seems there are few options: 1. Just use the slug as Asterisk PBX
                and nothing else; 2. Replace the USB stick to HDD; 3. Buy another
                slug...

                I haven't successfully set it up for externally spawned PHP-FCGI.
                Will that really help in my situation?

                Best Regards,

                Jian

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...> wrote:

                > It really would be interesting to see a wiki page comparing web
                > servers serving static and dynamic content.
                >
                > I know the following web servers can run on nslu2 and use PHP:
                >
                > * apache
                > * appweb
                > * cherokee
                > * lighttpd
                > * nginx
                > * thttpd
                >
                > Ideally we would like to test both the memory footprint and
                performance.

                > -Brian Zhou
                >
                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > In message <f1e3q1+kc2b@>, gaojian858 <gaojian858@>
                > > writes
                > > >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@>

                > > >server

                > > >it

                > > >the
                > > >have
                > > >that

                > > >Hi, Robert, Thank you for the reply.
                > > >
                > > >When I installed PHP-FCGI as root. How can I force it running as
                user
                > > >www? Also I created the user www at Linksys Webpage. Then I
                changed
                > > >the ownership of the lighttpd dir, Is that ok?
                > > >
                > > The Linksys Web page is the correct way to create a user. I
                > personally
                > > use a created user of 'www' with the default group 'everyone' but
                > > think that many NSLU2 users run there web servers using the
                default
                > user
                > > 'nobody'.
                > >
                > > If using the externally spawned PHP-FCGI option, the user and
                group are
                > > set in the boot up script. See
                > > <http://www.nslu2-
                linux.org/wiki/HowTo/DeployPHPWebAppUsingFastCGI>

                > > For lighttpd the user and group setting are located in
                > > /opt/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
                > >
                > > Also there are notes on how to set the file permissions for your
                web
                > > pages to your chosen user and group on the wiki page
                > > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver>
                > >
                > > With my NSLU2 over some years I have tried all of the different
                web
                > > server combinations and the lowest memory foot print seems to be
                > > lighttpd combined with an externally spawned PHP-FCGI. Unsure
                if this
                > > also is the quickest combination.
                > >
                > > --
                > > Robert Hammond
                > > PGP:0x154144DA

              • CORNELIU DOBAN
                Message 7 of 10 , May 5, 2007
                  If you  use swap on flash stick it wont last more than 2 weeks (100k or 1M erase/write cycles).

                  Use a HD. I ran Asterisk and Apache2/PHP/Gallery on my unslung 5.5 and is super fast.
                  I believe I installed the PHP accelerator (I don't remember it's name).

                  Corneliu

                  Be a PS3 game guru.

                • gaojian858
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 6, 2007
                    :( 2 weeks!!! Better stop it NOW.

                    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to get a hard drive.

                    Jian

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, CORNELIU DOBAN
                    <corneliu_doban@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > 'nobody'.
                    > > >
                    > > > If using the externally spawned PHP-FCGI option, the user and
                    > group are
                    > > > set in the boot up script. See
                    > > > <http://www.nslu2-
                    > linux.org/wiki/HowTo/DeployPHPWebAppUsingFastCGI>
                    > > >
                    > > > For lighttpd the user and group setting are located in
                    > > > /opt/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
                    > > >
                    > > > Also there are notes on how to set the file permissions for
                    your
                    > web
                    > > > pages to your chosen user and group on the wiki page
                    > > > <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver>
                    > > >
                    > > > With my NSLU2 over some years I have tried all of the different
                    > web
                    > > > server combinations and the lowest memory foot print seems to
                    be
                    > > > lighttpd combined with an externally spawned PHP-FCGI. Unsure

                    Yahoo! Games.

                  • Phil Endecott
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 7, 2007
                      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, CORNELIU DOBAN
                      > <corneliu_doban@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> If you use swap on flash stick it wont last more than 2 weeks
                      >> (100k or 1M erase/write cycles).

                      What is your evidence for this claim?

                      It does not agree with my experience or calculations.

                      Phil.