Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: NFS Share shows no files

  • Steve Shapiro
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      Thanks again for the reply,
      I have modified my passwd file to match what you have suggested.
      I did verify that my id on the mac is 501 and on the NSLU2 it was 2000.
      I will further play with the nfs shares and report back.

      Thanks.

      Michael Homscheidt wrote:

      Hi,
      > The only line added to my passwd file was:
      > steve:<encrypted password>:2000: 501::/home/ steve:/bin/ sh

      Here's possibly something wrong. The format of the passwd file is
      <username>:< encrypted password>:<userid> :<groupid> :<home
      directory>:< shell>

      Here you have the userid=2000 and the groupid=501 (use id <username>
      to confirm this on the NSLU). On the Mac you have the userid=501 and
      the groupid=20 (again use id <username> to confirm this on the Mac).
      I think that you have to edit your /etc/passd on the NSLU to

      steve:<encrypted password>:501: 501::/home/ steve:/bin/ sh

      Regards
      Michael.

    • Michael Homscheidt
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2007
        Hi and good morning,

        one further question: why don't export (in /etc/exports) /share/hdd/data and /share/flash/data just
        to see which nfs-export contains which comtents?

        My experience is that a link which points to a directory which is not exported is forbidden.

        Perhaps you could try this:
        /share/hdd/data/ 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,insecure)
        /share/flash/data 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,insecure)

        Regards
        Michael

        Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
        Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
        Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
        Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
        Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
        Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

        This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
        If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
        It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.
      • Steve Shapiro
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2007
          Michael, thanks again for your reply.

          I had originally tried to export the default shares that you suggested but wasn't able to locate any files in the hdd folder as I expected.
          The flash share did not have my files either.
          It seemed as though within /share/flash/data there was an identical hierarchal layout as to my NSLU2 internal flash, my guess is because that is where I unslung to.  However it seemed as though the filesystem on the flash drive did not contain the mount or share of the external hard drive which only existed in the /share/hdd/data folder of the NSLU2 internal filesystem.

          Using the symbollic link from /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/Slug -> /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 has worked so far but I don't know why I needed to do it that way.  I could probably mess around and try to manually mount the HDD_1_1_1 share into the unslung flash drive's shares.