Lone Programmer Writes 352 Webcam Drivers For Linux

  • M. Vamvakaris
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2007
      May it help NSLU2 webcam drivers?

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 10:50 AM
      Subject: [linuxwarrior] Lone Programmer Writes 352 Webcam Drivers For Linux

      A French physician and ardent Linux supporter is the one man you can all
      thank for adding support for 352 webcams in Linux. The Open Source OS
      world may still be a bit of a mess when competing with the ease of
      Windows, but efforts like this make you wonder. One man with drive,
      tenacity, and no funding does what no one else can do. And none of the
      major Linux distributions back this guy's efforts, even the big players
      dipping into the corporate world's coffers.

      Read the full story here at
      http://www.theinqui rer.net/default. aspx?article= 39291

      --
      Amit K Saha a.k.a tuxgeek
      IRC:tuxgeek on Freenode

      Send instant messages to your online friends http://in.messenger .yahoo.com

    • Pierre-Luc Bacon
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2007
        I think that it's just misinterpretation. I'm pretty sure that the guy didn't wrote 352 different drivers... He probably just made one that works for all those webcams. Nothing new or useful for nslu2-linux.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2007
          Yes, it's one driver... but that does not detract from Michel Xhaard's skill, knowledge or effort.
          I've used his drivers on several webcams (on x86 systems) over the past two or three years and found them to be very useful and stable (unlike others I have tried). It may well be worth contacting him if you have trouble compiling the drivers for Slugs.

          regards,

          Drew

          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2007
            Drew Gibson wrote:
            > Yes, it's one driver... but that does not detract from Michel Xhaard's
            > skill, knowledge or effort.
            > I've used his drivers on several webcams (on x86 systems) over the past
            > two or three years and found them to be very useful and stable (unlike
            > others I have tried). It may well be worth contacting him if you have
            > trouble compiling the drivers for Slugs.
            >
            > regards,
            >
            > Drew
            >
            > Pierre-Luc Bacon wrote:
            >> I think that it's just misinterpretation. I'm pretty sure that the guy
            >> didn't wrote 352 different drivers... He probably just made one that
            >> works for all those webcams. Nothing new or useful for nslu2-linux.

            We already have gspcav1 packaged in SlugOS.

            -- Rod
          • Drew Gibson
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2007

              Pierre-Luc Bacon wrote:

              I think that it's just misinterpretation. I'm pretty sure that the guy
              didn't wrote 352 different drivers... He probably just made one that
              works for all those webcams. Nothing new or useful for nslu2-linux.

              We already have gspcav1 packaged in SlugOS.

              -- Rod

              Great! I'm just finishing off Asterisk on my slug, webcam was the next project! Though I might need a second slug

              regards,

              Drew