Re: flashing apex from redboot

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2007
      > It seems that the "make menuconfig"
      > options I see are different than the options given in the Wiki. It
      > shows me such things as "Enable Experimental Features", "CPU
      > endian-ness", "IXP42X Implementations (Linksys NSLU2)". I didn't see
      > any such options as:
      > . change CROSS_COMPILE to arm-linux-gnu- (looks like it is missing a
      > parameter?)

      It looks as if CROSS_COMPILE is no longer in the config file. It's now
      more like the kernel; you just specify CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu- on
      the make command line. I've updated the Wiki to indicate this.

      > . change default kernel command line as required (example would be
      > helpful here)

      Well, originally this description was part of a page telling you how to
      change the kernel command line. So if you were reading the page in the
      first place it would kind of imply that you knew what you wanted to
      change it to. If you are compiling APEX for some other reason then you
      probably don't need to change it. I think.

      > I could always try every option, build hundreds of APEX versions, and
      > then reboot until I'm blue in the face until I realize what does or
      > doesn't work.

      Please post a list of the remaining options that you are unsure of and
      we will try to suggest what you should do with them. But if you
      started by doing "make debian-nslu2-arm_config" then you should have
      sensible defaults for everything.

      > I guess I'm a little spoiled by the official linux (x86-based)

      ARM and the other architectures are no less official than x86.

      Regards,

      Phil.