Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: NFS Share shows no files

  • Michael Homscheidt
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2007
      Good morning,

      I'm also using an NSLU2 with NFS exports on a Mac with X.4.9. I had to figure out some Mac specific
      points but since one year I'm using this combination without problems (anyway my disks on the NSLU
      are natively formatted to ext3). i recommend to format your disks to ext3. Like Mike stated the NTFS
      drivers on the NSLu are a little buggy.

      What I'm interested in is the following:
      (1) What's the contents of your /etc/exports file on the NSLU
      (2) What's the contents of your /etc/passwd file on the NSLU:
      the user ids on the NSLU and the Mac have to be the same. But the Mac and the NSLU have
      different ids. I had to change the userids manually on the NSLU
      (3) On the Mac: what does the command 'showmount -e <NSLU-IP-adress>' say (type it in the
      Terminal; are you familiar with the Terminal?)
      (4) How do you mount the NFS shares? Via command-line (Terminal)? Via Netinfo?

      Regards
      Michael

      Eurocopter Deutschland GmbH
      Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Donauwoerth
      Registergericht/Registration Court: Amtsgericht Augsburg HRB 16508
      Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Lutz Bertling
      Geschaeftsfuehrung/Board of Management:
      Dr. Wolfgang Schoder, Vorsitzender/CEO; Friedrich-Wilhelm Hormel; Ralf Barnscheidt

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

      This communication and the information it contains is intended for the addressee(s) named above and for no other persons or organizations. It is confidential and may be legally privileged and protected by law. The unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of this communication or any part of it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
      If you have received this communication in error, kindly notify us by return e-mail and discard and/or delete the communication. Thank you very much.
      It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. Whilst we maintain virus checks on our e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material which might be introduced with this message.
    • Steve Shapiro
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2007
        Thanks for your response.  I am pretty familiar with terminal and it will allow me to address your concerns.

        In /opt/etc/exports there is the following data:

        /share/hdd/data/Slug/Music  192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,ins
        /share/hdd/data/Slug/Media 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,inse
        /share/hdd/data/Slug  192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,insecure)
        /share/hdd/conf   192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(ro,sync,no_root_squash,insecure)
        #/share/flash/data 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,all_squash,insecure,anonuid
        #/share/flash/conf 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(ro,sync,no_root_squash)

        The main share I wanted on the network was /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 (a 250GB hard drive with 120GB free), however, as I previously noted when mounting that in OS X it would dump me in the flash drive and for some reason interpreted the following path /share/flash/data/
        share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 in which there was 1.5gb(of 2gb) available and no files...

        I had verified this.  My workaround, as noted in my exports file, was to create a symbolic link called 'Slug' located :
        /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/ that pointed to /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1.

        So my exports file as listed above does work but I don't understand why the paths are being interpreted from the root of the flash share.

        The only line added to my passwd file was:
        steve:<encrypted password>:2000:501::/home/steve:/bin/sh

        I modified the home directory and shell so that I could ssh in.

        I would change my userid on the NSLU2, how do I get it from OS X?(I've only been on a mac for a week and half now).

        I normally mount the NFS shares by pressing Apple+K and entering "nfs://192.168.1.3
        /share/hdd/data/Slug/Music" for my music share.

        showmount -e 192.168.1.103 shows:

        /share/hdd/conf                 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
        /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1       192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
        /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/Media 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
        /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/Music 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

        I am not really all that knowledgeable about administrating or configuring linux so I'm pretty clueless as to what the issue with the NFS is but I have the workaround using the symbolic link currently working.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2007
          Hi,
          > The only line added to my passwd file was:
          > steve:<encrypted password>:2000:501::/home/steve:/bin/sh

          Here's possibly something wrong. The format of the passwd file is
          directory>:<shell>

          Here you have the userid=2000 and the groupid=501 (use id <username>
          to confirm this on the NSLU). On the Mac you have the userid=501 and
          the groupid=20 (again use id <username> to confirm this on the Mac).
          I think that you have to edit your /etc/passd on the NSLU to

          steve:<encrypted password>:501:501::/home/steve:/bin/sh

          Regards
          Michael.
        • Steve Shapiro
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2007
            Thanks again for the reply,
            I have modified my passwd file to match what you have suggested.
            I did verify that my id on the mac is 501 and on the NSLU2 it was 2000.
            I will further play with the nfs shares and report back.

            Thanks.

            Michael Homscheidt wrote:

            Hi,
            > The only line added to my passwd file was:
            > steve:<encrypted password>:2000: 501::/home/ steve:/bin/ sh

            Here's possibly something wrong. The format of the passwd file is
            <username>:< encrypted password>:<userid> :<groupid> :<home

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2007
              Hi and good morning,

              one further question: why don't export (in /etc/exports) /share/hdd/data and /share/flash/data just
              to see which nfs-export contains which comtents?

              My experience is that a link which points to a directory which is not exported is forbidden.

              Perhaps you could try this:
              /share/hdd/data/ 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,insecure)
              /share/flash/data 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,sync,no_root_squash,insecure)

              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2007
                Michael, thanks again for your reply.

                I had originally tried to export the default shares that you suggested but wasn't able to locate any files in the hdd folder as I expected.
                The flash share did not have my files either.
                It seemed as though within /share/flash/data there was an identical hierarchal layout as to my NSLU2 internal flash, my guess is because that is where I unslung to.  However it seemed as though the filesystem on the flash drive did not contain the mount or share of the external hard drive which only existed in the /share/hdd/data folder of the NSLU2 internal filesystem.

                Using the symbollic link from /share/flash/data/share/hdd/data/Slug -> /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 has worked so far but I don't know why I needed to do it that way.  I could probably mess around and try to manually mount the HDD_1_1_1 share into the unslung flash drive's shares.