Re: Howto substitute the kernel _safely_

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 6:56 AM
      > I have installed Debian/NSLU2 in my slug. I want to compile new kernel (for example for
      > installing grsecurity patch). But because I don't have serial console I want to know how can
      > I substitute my (original) kernel.

      1. Make a copy of the entire contents of your flash:
      cat /dev/mtdblock* > flash_backup.

      2. Move that to another machines.

      3. Try out your new kernel.

      4. If it works, good! Stop here.

      5. To return to your original kernel, use upslug2 to restore the image
      that you saved before.

      There are other ways to solve the problem, but this is by far the
      easiest in most cases.

      Phil.
    • ffdfsdf fdfdf
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 11:36 AM
        Phil, thank you very much. You clarify me a lot, but

        * Is there any page in wiki that content this?
        * How can I use upslug2?
        * If I compile kernel ala debian, debian could update my kernel in apt-get upgrades?
        * Where I can find the configuration file of original kernel (in which there are all the modules and built-in that kernel have compiled to)?

        Thanks in advance,

        Phil Endecott <spam_from_nslu2_linux@...> escribió:
        > I have installed Debian/NSLU2 in my slug. I want to compile new kernel (for example for
        > installing grsecurity patch). But because I don't have serial console I want to know how can
        > I substitute my (original) kernel.

        1. Make a copy of the entire contents of your flash:
        cat /dev/mtdblock* > flash_backup.

        2. Move that to another machines.

        3. Try out your new kernel.

        4. If it works, good! Stop here.

        5. To return to your original kernel, use upslug2 to restore the image
        that you saved before.

        There are other ways to solve the problem, but this is by far the
        easiest in most cases.

        Phil.

        LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
        http://es.voice.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 5:09 PM

          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage is a good place to start.

          > * How can I use upslug2?

          See the other pages on nslu2-linux.org

          > * If I compile kernel ala debian, debian could update my kernel in
          > apt-get upgrades?

          You should ask this question on the debian-arm mailing list, not here.

          > * Where I can find the configuration file of original kernel (in which
          > there are all the modules and built-in that kernel have compiled to)?

          You should ask this question on the debian-arm mailing list, not here.

          Remember folks, all Debian-related questions are to be asked on the
          debian-arm mailing list, not the nslu2-linux mailing list.